Have you switched sides politically?

You replied to BF as if you agreed with him but the contents of your post are not in line with that.

He said:

By using the word imaginary, you are disagreeing with BF while you say you are agreeing. So let me ask you this:

If you don't even realize you disagree with him....which requires only basic reading comprehension skills for the span of one single sentence.....then how are you smart enough to know that God simply does not exist? There is a gigantic gap between what he said and what you said....and you think that you agree. So please pardon me if I don't take your word for it on the greatest question known to man.

What do expect from a drunkard?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So... It's a belief.

No.

It's a lack of belief in something that is not there.

I can't say it any more succinctly.

Example. I don't believe in arachnid unicorns. I don't believe in something that doesn't exist.

There are people who believe there is no god. That is a faith leap. That's different than what I'm defining as atheism.

You replied to BF as if you agreed with him but the contents of your post are not in line with that.

He said:

By using the word imaginary, you are disagreeing with BF while you say you are agreeing. So let me ask you this:

If you don't even realize you disagree with him....which requires only basic reading comprehension skills for the span of one single sentence.....then how are you smart enough to know that God simply does not exist? There is a gigantic gap between what he said and what you said....and you think that you agree. So please pardon me if I don't take your word for it on the greatest question known to man.

He just wanted to be an insulting douche. We all have those moments. I think he agrees with me but took the opportunity to break some china while bulling around the shop.

No.

Example. I don't believe in arachnid unicorns. I don't believe in something that doesn't exist.

There are people who believe there is no god. That is a faith leap. That's different than what I'm defining as atheism.

You (or atheists) believe something is not there.

You cannot state it as fact, only belief, since what you assert is not provable.

No.

He just wanted to be an insulting douche. We all have those moments. I think he agrees with me but took the opportunity to break some china while bulling around the shop.

You referred to it as something an atheist believes in your own words.

What do you call something you believe if not a belief?

Couldn't you make the same argument for "arachnid unicorns"?

Not really. Simply believing in God doesn't make you a Christian anymore than not believing in God makes you an atheist.

From a Christianity standpoint, God wants a relationship with you. He wants you to talk to him, turn to him, and most importantly, have faith in him for all things, big or small, important or irrelevant. He wants you to look for the things he does in your life to help chart the path he has for you, and study his Word, and -- during all this -- live your life as Christ lived his to the extent that when people are with you, they see more of Him and less of you.

Like anything else, whether it's religion or politics, there are false messengers; people who abuse their positions for money and power. Some misinterpret God's Word for their own, or talk about stupid stuff like conversion therapy for gays.They give Christians a very bad name, and prompt liberals -- most of whom LOVE to hate Christians -- a club with which to beat people who disagree with them. And that doesn't even begin to get into those who intentionally take the Bible out of context for the sake of making people turn away from Christianity. (See Bachmann, Michelle, Wife Submits To Husband.)

That, to me, makes the atheist. True Christians I know work very hard to have a relationship with God. Not just attending church, but being in the Word every day, taking part in Bible studies and making disciples, coming together to help other members of the body during down times, etc.

An atheist, to me, is the one who consistently makes the effort to mock, taunt, ridicule and destroy both Christians and Christianity, for whatever reason. Works don't make the Christian, but they absolutely make the atheist.

They've been around for ever. They will continue to be around forever.

Edited by LABillzFan

Not really. Simply believing in God doesn't make you a Christian anymore than not believing in God makes you an atheist.

From a Christianity standpoint, God wants a relationship with you. He wants you to talk to him, turn to him, and most importantly, have faith in him for all things, big or small, important or irrelevant. He wants you to look for the things he does in your life to help chart the path he has for you, and study his Word, and -- during all this -- live your life as Christ lived his to the extent that when people are with you, they see more of Him and less of you.

Like anything else, whether it's religion or politics, there are false messengers; people who abuse their positions for money and power. Some misinterpret God's Word for their own, or talk about stupid stuff like conversion therapy for gays.They give Christians a very bad name, and prompt liberals -- most of whom LOVE to hate Christians -- a club with which to beat people who disagree with them. And that doesn't even begin to get into those who intentionally take the Bible out of context for the sake of making people turn away from Christianity. (See Bachmann, Michelle, Wife Submits To Husband.)

That, to me, makes the atheist. True Christians I know work very hard to have a relationship with God. Not just attending church, but being in the Word every day, taking part in Bible studies and making disciples, coming together to help other members of the body during down times, etc.

An atheist, to me, is the one who consistently makes the effort to mock, taunt, ridicule and destroy both Christians and Christianity, for whatever reason. Works don't make the Christian, but they absolutely make the atheist.

I think the person you are describing has a whole different thing going on just taking the form of Christian bashing.

Atheism is really just an active disbelief in all religion or higher power. An atheist could still govern life under a moral philosophy rather than theological purpose. To my understanding of theology, Christians who see an atheist acting as a moral example can still understand God to be acting through that individual and deserve compassion.

I think the behavior you describe is misassociated with atheism.

I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying and I happen to believe in a higher power. I don't believe there can be such organized beauty that would be created through complete randomness. I feel that there is an order that exists.

Having said that, I was simply taking TYTT's take on the matter and applying it to BF's.

Atheism is really just an active disbelief in all religion or higher power.

No it's not. It's a lack of belief in something that's not there. Most atheists aren't active in their lack of belief. They just don't believe. The end.

To LA's giant overgeneralization, atheists number in the hundreds of millions. Most just live their lives like anyone and don't really care that others believe and they don't. Some are jerkoffs who mock and make headlines in the same way Sharpton spoke for blacks and Coulter speaks for Republicans. I know lots of atheists. They don't spend any time talking about Christians. Many get Christmas trees and hide eggs, or light the Menora. Traditions in their cultures bleed into their lives despite their lack of belief.

Edited by Benjamin Franklin

No it's not. It's a lack of belief in something that's not there. Most atheists aren't active in their lack of belief. They just don't believe. The end.

To LA's giant overgeneralization, atheists number in the hundreds of millions. Most just live their lives like anyone and don't really care that others believe and they don't. Some are jerkoffs who mock and make headlines in the same way Sharpton spoke for blacks and Coulter speaks for Republicans. I know lots of atheists. They don't spend any time talking about Christians. Many get Christmas trees and hide eggs, or light the Menora. Traditions in their cultures bleed into their lives despite their lack of belief.

I hear you, but I was saying "active" in a way to differentiate between agnostics. I always thought atheists "actively" declare the lack of a higher power as opposed to the agnostic who doesn't believe, but grants they don't know for sure. I didn't mean it as atheists actively tell you nothing is there, but rather that their denial is more declarative.

Yes though, bashing religion is not a characteristic of atheists in general.

Edited by Rockpile233

Makes no sense.

An atheist, to me, is the one who consistently makes the effort to mock, taunt, ridicule and destroy both Christians and Christianity, for whatever reason.

Religion deserves to be mocked and ridiculed. Always.

Edited by Spurna

To LA's giant overgeneralization, atheists number in the hundreds of millions. Most just live their lives like anyone and don't really care that others believe and they don't. Some are jerkoffs who mock and make headlines in the same way Sharpton spoke for blacks and Coulter speaks for Republicans. I know lots of atheists. They don't spend any time talking about Christians.

Swap the words Christians and atheists in your paragraph and it still holds.

The fact is that when people are categorized by groups and discussed by people who belong to other groups, the suppositions are rarely kind or accurate. Every group has followers. Every group is an opening for a would be "leader" to take advantage of followers. The leaders who do this are rarely following the concepts and principles espoused by the group. Eventually someone speaks up and the followers take heed. Sometimes it is too late or after a lot of damage.

These groups need not be religiously oriented. It happens in politics, work, race, sexual orientation, Facebook, and everything else.

I try not to think of people in groups, but as individuals, but I think we all fall into the trap sometimes.. It is easier to wrap your head around one group than a million individuals, but categorization always leads to inaccuracy.

Religion deserves to be mocked and ridiculed. Always.

Now it makes sense.