Fishing

Hurricane

That Lake Kipawa place looks very nice. I like that you can fish for bass as well. The lake looks huge though! How do you find your spots? Do you get a guide? The cabins look very nice too.

It is a huge lake but we stick to the area around the camp for the most part. My dad has been going there for 20 years and we have been taking our annual trip for 5 years now so we have our spots that usually work. They had a couple that lived there for the season and helped people with the fishing, but the husband passed away a couple years ago. It is a shame, because they were great with the clients and the best anglers I have ever met. The owner is helpful, but not as personable as the elderly couple were. We usually just slip bobber with jig heads and leaches. It produces more fish than any other method we have tried. The smallmouth are massive! We caught multiple fish that exceeded 18 inches and a couple in the 20 inch range without ever targeting them.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to be an avid fisherman (mostly largemouth). Grew up fishing with my dad in a john boat, which my dad would row. Then we got a trolling motor. Over the years, as I became an adult, I bought a 16 ft. Polar Kraft with a 25HP Mercury and a foot-controlled trolling motor in the front. Had that for a few years and we went whenever it wasn't raining.

Got rid of that boat, but then my dad got a similar one. A couple years ago, he sold his boat and his truck. I changed jobs and had (still have) about a 55 mile commute, one-way, to work each day. So I got a little fuel efficient vehicle.

So now, neither of us has a boat and neither of us has a vehicle in which to put the john boat, which still lays against my parents' shed (they bought the boat in 1962).

So we haven't fished in two years. He's getting older anyway, so it might be for the best.

We did well over 90% of our fishing on the Hudson River in Glens Falls, NY. Big Bay, for anyone familiar. My biggest catch was a 6.75 lb. largemouth, caught on a Berkeley Power Worm (7") with a 3/8 oz. bullet weight. For the last 5-6 years of fishing, it's all I used.

My hope is, that as life settles down, I'll be able to get a small pontoon boat and find somewhere to keep it on the river. I'd like to accomplish this before my dad gets too old to enjoy it. I think I've got time, as he's only 77. But it'll be a great vessel in which to carry on the tradition with my son, who also enjoys fishing.

It's a great bonding experience. Has been for my dad and me, anyway. Being out on the water was the best part. Great conversations with no distractions. The sounds and sights of nature.

Catching fish was purely a bonus.

The last trip out of Keyport was the most successful trip we had last year.

Here's two of the four Striped Bass keepers we caught. And, no that's not me either holding or being held. :nana:

70fexi.jpg

Nice!!

It’s a big building with patients, but that’s not important right now.

Lol... solid..

• 3 months later...
That is right below the lock I am at.

I saw dead ones on sides of barges in 2009.

eDNA testing was conducted a few weeks prior to seining ops. The have been netting for the last couple of weeks.

Again, I am just a lock & dam operator. But I have my take on all this the last 20 years. Yes 20 years.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Ex: DNR could have stocked some unwittingly 20 years ago when then we're building the bass fishery above the lock.

The pool that they caught it in was rotenoned back in 2011. It could have easily swam down.

Also... That looks like a bighead. Google Earth Flatfoot Lake Chicago. It has been known a bighead carp population exists there for some time. Flatfoot is landlocked from river and separated by high train tracks. How did they get there?

Not sure why they are calling this fish silver carp... It looks like the bighead variation.

Oops... That is a silver. My bad. But anyway, who knows what they were really stocking 20 years ago. Edited by ExiledInIllinois

That sounds like DC Tom..............as I try to get my kids into it, I realize it's SO much work.

Yep. Taking young kids fishing is only fun if they are catching. Otherwise, it is pretty miserable for everyone, in my experience.

Oh... Just like in 2010 when they found a bighead carp, netted ABOVE lock and 7 miles from Lake... They will be able to take the ear bone and find out where this fish spent most of it's life.

Not that will appease the Chicken Little's out there... How quickly did that 2010 fish catch die down?

This is nothing but a political "football" with science being bent to fit whichever story it wants to fit.

One huge gov't boondoggle... Siphoning off 100s of millions of taxpayer $$$$$'s...

So the sky isn't falling?

Follow up... I just got into work for 18:00 to 06:00 shift and this was on the lockman's desk. SEE: Below.

It was found right below lock... Not 9 miles below LAKE. Lock & dam is roughly 7 miles south of Lake Michigan... So they netted it within the 2011 "kill zone" where they rotenoned every swimming thing. During that kill... They pulled out 100,000 pounds of fish, 12,000 individual fish of 30+ different species. No Asian carp were found during that kill outside of innocuous grass carp (which are one of the four species of Asian carp). This is a river that could only support sludge worms 40 short years ago. I have been here almost 30.

Official News Release:

http://www.asiancarp.us/news/silvercarpcapture.htm

If you ever want to see what is moving on the US Waterways... Visit here:

http://www.CorpsLocks.com

This fish business has now got a little interesting.

IMO??? I think it swam south from Lake, not north. I think the DNR was unwittingly stocking them 20 years ago when they were building the bass fishery @ Lake Calumet... Now there are a few in the wild.

Do we destroy the house when we see a few ants? This waterway control structure was built for 6 million dollars tacked onto SeaWay project in 1959. A 60 day closure now costs the local and national economy 18 millions dollars.

This is one of the few effing things "right side up" in gov't and now the hysteria builds and they want to spend 100s of millions, if not billions. You be the judge.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Also: To put it bluntly. The more that is found... Even if only ONE, THE MORE THE FUNDING FLOWS. The more they keep fishing and sampling... The more the biologists siphon off gov't money.

It's in these people's (scientists) best interest to find a fish every 7 years. FWIW: two bighead carp were found in the Western Basin of Lake Erie near Sandusky in 1999.

Do I sound like a crazy Trumpster? Or pragmatic labor liberal?

Also... I am getting some doozy phone calls now by the general public! EVEN BY MY STANDARDS! LMAO! DCTom I need your help to fend off these idiots!

Pragmatic labor liberal... That's an oxymoron, right?

:-)