The Rick Dennison offense

With Rick Dennison taking over as offensive coordinator of the Bills , there will be a change in philosophy on the offensive side

So what does that mean for our offense?

Rick Dennison is a Mike Shanahan disciple.

I fully expect to see a modified shannahanesque mobile WCO suited for the 21st century

Meaning a bunch of zone runs, stretch runs and off tackles

Masked with naked boots, playactions and waggles

Throw in RB cross screen's and WR play action bubble screen's and you have a modern version of a mobile WCO suited for the Bills and ready to succeed in the NFL

I'm excited to see how it plays out

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Waggles? Isn't that the Harry Potter term for people without magic powers?

If I'm Dennison I probably am pushing for a QB this draft, but I hope it doesn't happen until next year.

Whatever he does, it needs to incorporate the Roman, A Lynn foundation in place here, we can really punish teams with our ground game.

well then, i have to ask the obvious question...who (or what type) is the best suited qb to run this offense?

Honestly...

A smart , mobile QB who moves the chains and doesn't turn the ball over

Yet can push the ball downfield when presented

isn't that the guy we have and may or may not be trying to get rid of?

I just want the Bills to win and don't care if we win with Donky Kong or Alexander the Great behind center

But yes

When we hired Dennison I thought immediately it was a sign they were going to stick with Tyrod and try to build around him

I just want the Bills to win and don't care if we win with Donky Kong or Alexander the Great behind center

But yes

When we hired Dennison I thought immediately it was a sign they were going to stick with Tyrod and try to build around him

i really like tyrod, and want him to succeed. but the inaccuracies, lack of timing, and inability to use the middle of the field really, really concern me.

i really like tyrod, and want him to succeed. but the inaccuracies, lack of timing, and inability to use the middle of the field really, really concern me.

Im new here so im being cautious with my posts

But I've lived the game my whole life being the son of a coach and I really understand the "nuances"

I've grown colder on TT but I realize he is far from the sole reason we don't win consistently

And he is a top 20 QB In the NFL

My old man who taught me everything still is willing to give Tyrod 1 more year because he still sees promise

Who am I to argue with my maker :P

Edited by Buffalo716

But yes

My thoughts exactly. And I think they will be fairly productive in that system, providing we stay some type of relative healthy throughout the year. I hope Tyrod is going to bounce back rather than fade into mediocrity, but I have no idea which will happen.

But I would bet heavily on Tyrod starting for us for (at least) the next 2 years, regardless of production if they excercise his option.

But I've lived the game my whole life being the son of a coach and I really understand the "nuances"

I've grown colder on TT but I realize he is far from the sole reason we don't win consistently

My old man who taught me everything still is willing to give Tyrod 1 more year because he still sees promise

i get it. and i agree to a point. he was good enough to win a lot of the games we lost IF the defense/special teams/kicker/coach was better. but, there were a lot of games where i just couldn't help but think that good enough is just not good enough. and another way to look at top twenty, is tenth from the bottom. like i said, i really, really like tyrod. maybe with the right coaching in the right system, he is plenty good enough, but when the system fails...you need THE GUY.

i get it. and i agree to a point. he was good enough to win a lot of the games we lost IF the defense/special teams/kicker/coach was better. but, there were a lot of games where i just couldn't help but think that good enough is just not good enough. and another way to look at top twenty, is tenth from the bottom. like i said, i really, really like tyrod. maybe with the right coaching in the right system, he is plenty good enough, but when the system fails...you need THE GUY.

I agree with you completely

And I don't like to talk negatively about TT because he is such a humble guy

But IMO as you stated...

When system crumbles or the day isnt going your way... THE GUY can put his team on his back and make players around him better

I think TT is a good football player

But not the answer

With Rick Dennison taking over as offensive coordinator of the Bills , there will be a change in philosophy on the offensive side

I fully expect to see a modified shannahanesque mobile WCO suited for the 21st century

Throw in RB cross screen's and WR play action bubble screen's and you have a modern version of a mobile WCO suited for the Bills and ready to succeed in the NFL

Yeah, it's infinitely less complicated to run than a traditional horizontal WCO.

If you're going to be saddled with a one-read QB who really struggles to see the whole field, this is probably the best way to maximize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. It should provide us with an increased capability for diverse responses when defenses try to "make him be a QB"

I would rather see the Bills let him walk at this point, but if they're going to keep putting him out there, this is as good as any way to do it.

Yeah, it's infinitely less complicated to run than a traditional horizontal WCO.

If you're going to be saddled with a one-read QB who really struggles to see the whole field, this is probably the best way to maximize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. It should provide us with an increased capability for diverse responses when defenses try to "make him be a QB"

I would rather see the Bills let him walk at this point, but if they're going to keep putting him out there, this is as good as any way to do it.

my concern with this is whether or not we can get that level of play (but with a higher ceiling, using more of the field) from a rookie in this year's draft, and whether or not the front office is willing to take that risk.

I'm excited too... but cautious.

As far as our rushing attack was concerned last year, I thought there was a kind of alchemic genius in the combination of Roman's play design, Lynn's play-calling, Shady's running, and Tyrod's dynamism. Shady enjoyed the best ypc of his career. And the Bills remarkably scored 27 points per game when Lynn was calling plays and TT was under center - despite Taylor's limitations as a passer. I have to wonder if Dennison can match that production?

And it'll be interesting to see what kind of OC Dennison will be now that he's working for a defensive HC who is not the de facto offensive coordinator. I like that Dennison has history with a run-heavy WCO since we have more running skills on our roster than passing skills.

You've made some guess as to what a Rico offense will look like. Probably good guesses. But no one really knows because (1) he's never entirely run his own offense before, and (2) he's going to have to adapt to new players, each with their own unique skill sets.

As a Bills fan, I always hope for the best but fear the worst.

There is a lot of sense in this post. And this coming from a guy who is not a TT fan. I can see both sides of the argument regarding TT considering not many are arguing he is a franchise QB. If they don't retain him, they better have a damn good plan, one without the initials CJ.

But IMO as you stated...

When system crumbles or the day isnt going your way... THE GUY can put his team on his back and make players around him better

But not the answer

I like the way you put that down.

But IMO as you stated...

But not the answer

I love the reasonable nature here! You earlier said he's top 20 (which I believe), but he's not "the answer". So many people need to take one extreme or the other. Haters and defenders. I'll defend the guy, to a point, but I'd love to have a TRUE FRANCHISE QB. They're hard to come by, but you never stop looking. In the meantime, you don't dump a guy better than 1/3 of the league, with nothing behind him. It seems so obvious to me that I often wonder what I'm missing.