Reason NRC was released

cover1

At first I was surprised that he was cut considering that his contract was not a big hit and he made some plays for the Bills. But considering the scheme change and his 31 missed tackles in 4 seasons (23 of which were in '13 and '14), I get why they let him go. A deep draft at CB plus NRC not being a fit due to size and length I can now see why they let him go. Nickel CBs are utilized a lot to cover run gap responsibilities. Check out this play here:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved the kids heart and was a fan of him. Glad we parted ways with him though. His height really hurt his overall ability on the field. I hope he catches on elsewhere and is productive but a CB overhaul is a good idea in my book. Now we just need a solid starter to replace Gilmore and a solid 4th and 5th. Maybe Seymour can replace Gilmore, but I'd bet that we draft one in the first 3 rds, if not the 1st.

At first I was surprised that he was cut considering that his contract was not a big hit and he made some plays for the Bills. But considering the scheme change and his 31 missed tackles in 4 seasons (23 of which were in '13 and '14), I get why they let him go. A deep draft at CB plus NRC not being a fit due to size and length I can now see why they let him go. Nickel CBs are utilized a lot to cover run gap responsibilities. Check out this play here:

But, But, But he is a good guy, fans love him, .....

No reason he should not have been kept for depth at the very least. You telling me we are going to lose Gilmore and Robey-Coleman and we are going to have 5 or 6 CBs on our roster next year better than him? I don't think so.

Edited by Mark80

No reason he should not have been kept for depth at the very least. You telling me we are going to lose Gilmore and Robey-Coleman and we are going to have 5 or 6 CBs on our roster next year better than him? I don't think so.

Darby will get hurt and the Whaley apologists will say "how could they know we'd need CB depth?"

We might have to spend all six picks on secondary the way it is going. That is not many miss tackles if you look at others at his position. He was a playmaker. Dont get it. Odds are his replacement won't be as good.

Edited by BuffaloBud420

This draft is deep, and lets face it DBs aren't valued as high in this cover 3 system. You can find production in many places with players that fit the scheme better.

This draft is deep, and lets face it DBs aren't valued as high in this cover 3 system. You can find production in many places with players that fit the scheme better.

I would amend that to say DBs that excel in man coverages aren't valued as highly. Great man defenders aren't always good zone defenders, where a solid understanding of route concepts is a must. Ideally, a DB is equally adept at both, but it's surprising how often that isn't the case.

I would amend that to say DBs that excel in man coverages aren't valued as highly. Great man defenders aren't always good zone defenders, where a solid understanding of route concepts is a must. Ideally, a DB is equally adept at both, but it's surprising how often that isn't the case.

Yeah, which is why we drafted Cockrell and then let him go when Rex changed the scheme. Now we are back in zone and could use him!

I understand this as well, but how many holes do you think they can fill this offseason with the limited cap and picks. That they just make another one with this cut

Excellent point. And good vid to illustrate the point.

Captain Munnerlyn was same size as Robey and played well at nickel under McDermott. Don't get it. For 1.5 mil in savings.

Incorrect. Munnerlyn is 2 inches taller and at least 15 lbs heavier. Links to their draft profiles with official height and weight at the time.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/captain-munnerlyn?id=80668

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/nickell-robey?id=2540197

Edited by PurpLegacy

Captain Munnerlyn was same size as Robey and played well at nickel under McDermott. Don't get it. For 1.5 mil in savings.

Munnerlyn is 2 inches taller and at least 20 lbs heavier. When you are on the low end of height/weight spectrum in NFL, that amount makes a difference.

Yeah I don't really see that either