Alexander is fools gold

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 roster spots to fill due to free agency. We have less cap room than over 2/3 of the league. Paying a pretty good CB like he's a top 5 cb would be a mistake imo. The 13-15 mill we'd have spent on him can be used to add 2 very good players. Major holes at Safety, WR, RT, LB and overall depth make it nearly impossible to pony up that kid of money for one player that wasn't one of the best in the league. Don't get me wrong, I do like Gilmore and I do think he's a good cb. Just don't think he's worth the price tag considering our current cap/roster situation. Too many holes too fill and not enough resources to fill them with.

You know what your talking about and I agree whole hardily. Sometimes front office football is more common sense than dollars and cents, this time they line up.

I agree. I'd like to have them both back, but if you gave me a choice I'd pick Zach Brown to overpay and bring back. It sucks, but you can't keep everyone.

Also agree. Keep Z. Brown for MLB, move the other Brown to OSL where he originally started and if they can sign Lorax for a reasonable amount go for it. Then we are set at LB, especially with Ragland pushing for a starting job.

Edited by mabden

They are only meeting with his agent. No indication they are "overpaying" to re-sign him and not sure it has anything to do with Gilmore or Zach Brown since they all play different positions. Each evaluated on his own merit,value and contributions to this defensive scheme.

Edited by YoloinOhio

$5-10 million a year is an agents pipe dream. God bless him if he gets it.

You take elite special teams money @ about $1.5 million a year and then add on situational pass rusher money at about another $1.2 million and you add a good leader 10% bonus and you get $3 million a year on a two year deal. $2.5 million up front, $1 million base year one, $2.5 million base year 2. Love the man-- but don't overpay.

$5-10 million a year is an agents pipe dream. God bless him if he gets it.

You take elite special teams money @ about $1.5 million a year and then add on situational pass rusher money at about another $1.2 million and you add a good leader 10% bonus and you get $3 million a year on a two year deal. $2.5 million up front, $1 million base year one, $2.5 million base year 2. Love the man-- but don't overpay.

$1.2M is not situational pass rusher money; in fact it's closer to twice that.

$5M is probably fair for a guy coming off of a 13-sack season.

He was a great story last year and all but you saw him tail off during the 2nd half of the season. Add that to the fact we are switching defenses so there is no telling what he can contribute in McDs Defense. And let's pile on that his agent just said he wants 5-10 million next season. Did I mention he will be 34 by the start of next year?

Let's hope Whaley and his limited intelligence can atleast realize we don't need to be using valuable cap space on a position we are not that thin at, much less on a 34 year old one hit wonder.

Totally agree...He was a great fit for Rex's scheme...I just don't see anything for him in a 4-3 outside of a situational 3rd Down Pass Rusher role... B-)

They are only meeting with his agent. No indication they are "overpaying" to re-sign him and not sure it has anything to do with Gilmore or Zach Brown since they all play different positions. Each evaluated on his own merit,value and contributions to this defensive scheme.

It has to do with our other FAs because there's a cap.

For the record minus the age and plus the boneheaded plays this is why I was against giving Hughes big $. We were so deficient on offense at the time. Not saying he's been a huge bust, but so far he has done as much harm as he has good. Not the type of guy you give that kinda $ to imo

For the record minus the age and plus the boneheaded plays this is why I was against giving Hughes big $. We were so deficient on offense at the time. Not saying he's been a huge bust, but so far he has done as much harm as he has good. Not the type of guy you give that kinda $ to imo

His salary for a good pass rusher is astonishingly low.

His AAV is less than half of Olivier Vernon, and less than those of Vinny Curry, Cameron Heyward, and Derrick Wolfe.

Hughes is a bargain.

He was a great story last year and all but you saw him tail off during the 2nd half of the season. Add that to the fact we are switching defenses so there is no telling what he can contribute in McDs Defense. And let's pile on that his agent just said he wants 5-10 million next season. Did I mention he will be 34 by the start of next year?

Let's hope Whaley and his limited intelligence can atleast realize we don't need to be using valuable cap space on a position we are not that thin at, much less on a 34 year old one hit wonder.

Lorax was a great story. But my eyes saw a smart football player who understood his role more than an athletic one with great speed and power. A nice guy to have on your team - but not at a premium price.

Edited by hondo in seattle

The reports are that GIlmore wants $14M and we offered $10M. Throw in Lorax's $2-$3M and we're basically there.

It truly is an either/or situation. Paying the one-hit wonder over the consistent top 10 CB.

We won't add "2 very good players" with $13M. We'll add some below average starters or vets on their last legs.

We got 2 very good players last year for 3.5 million (Zach and lorax ). Zach will probably command 5-8 mill per. That leaves 6-8 million on another player. You're saying that Zach brown plus another 6-8 million dollar player aren't very good? Sure, there's a chance one flubs, but I'd bet that Zach brown + another 6-8 million dollar player turn out to be very good. Gilmore wasn't very good this good year and now he wants 14? That's just crazy. Gimme Zach brown and Tony Jefferson over Gilmore any day. Then draft a cb, RT and WR (in no particular order) in rd 1-3. That leaves another safety, WR and depth with the remaining picks and cap room. Works for me. Gilmore just isn't worth 14 mill a year. Edited by NewEra

Kyle Williams, Aaron Williams, Corey Graham, Tyrod are in make it or break it seasons, all of which could provide significant cap room by moving on and none of them (outside of Tyrod potentially) look to be long in Buffalo. Shady could break down at any moment. Lorax was a career special teamer who had a great season in a defense we no longer play, he's 34 and wants a contract reflecting his career season, one he's not likely to replicate. Gilmore is 26 (27 when the season starts) and should be productive for the life of a 4 or 5 year deal, several people suggest using a high draft pick to replace him. Tony Jefferson is going to be an extremely hot commodity and we are not likely to be high on his list unless we pay for that privilege. Who is the one with a short sighted thought process?

You're proving my point by taking about KW, AW and CG. That's 3 more positions we need to fill next year (aw and cg, one will be replaced this year, maybe both). Where do we get the money to replace them if we overpay for Gilmore? You act as if our entire team will go into the tank if Gilmore leaves . Like he's the key cog for this team. He's a good CB. He's not great. Yet he's going to get paid like a great CB. 14 mill per year?thats just nuts imo.

I mentioned Tony Jefferson.....and in parenthesis I said or another safety. I didn't say we needed Tony Jefferson, I just used him as an example. I also said that we can draft a safety and sign a FA RT or WR. There isn't one way to go about his. There are many options. Paying Gilmore 14 mill a year reduces our options 10 fold. Short sighted is saying if we lose Gilmore then we suck. That's just ridiculous. He can't tackle. he plays like a chicken. He cries and blames his teammates while the plays are still love. I just don't see him as someone that we MUST keep. We lost all pro Byrd (who was MUCH more productive than Gilmore). Turned out pretty good for us.

My point is, we don't have many resources ( cap room and draft picks) and we have many holes to fill. If we allocate 14 mill a year towards Gilmore, we are going to suffer in other positions (starters and depth). 22 free agents; many of which were solid rotational players. Signing Gilmore will help our CB position but could severely deplete other units. Gilmore can be replaced. He's not a franchise changing plauers

You know what your talking about and I agree whole hardily. Sometimes front office football is more common sense than dollars and cents, this time they line up.

Thank you sir

This just makes it so we sign Zach brown (or another solid LB) and Tony Jefferson (or another solid safety) for the same amount Gilmore is being paid. Then we don't have to spend high draft picks on LB and Safety and can draft Gilmores replacement . Mix and match Safety, LB, RT, WR....we can most likely sign 2 of those positions at the same price of gilmore.

Yes, I agree. Let's not lock ourselves into another stupid contract.

We got 2 very good players last year for 3.5 million (Zach and lorax ). Zach will probably command 5-8 mill per. That leaves 6-8 million on another player. You're saying that Zach brown plus another 6-8 million dollar player aren't very good? Sure, there's a chance one flubs, but I'd bet that Zach brown + another 6-8 million dollar player turn out to be very good. Gilmore wasn't very good this good year and now he wants 14? That's just crazy. Gimme Zach brown and Tony Jefferson over Gilmore any day. Then draft a cb, RT and WR (in no particular order) in rd 1-3. That leaves another safety, WR and depth with the remaining picks and cap room. Works for me. Gilmore just isn't worth 14 mill a year.

Gilmore was good this year.

Gilmore was good this year.

Where did I ever say he wasn't good? I said he wasn't "very good". Not sure what your point is. Do you you think he was very good? No, you don't, but you'll say he was very good just for the sake of this conversation. He was most definitely not 14 mill per year good.

Where did I ever say he wasn't good? I said he wasn't "very good". Not sure what your point is. Do you you think he was very good? No, you don't, but you'll say he was very good just for the sake of this conversation. He was most definitely not 14 mill per year good.

Okay bud, check the numbers.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/192264-why-not-use-transition-tag-on-gilmore/page-3?do=findComment&comment=4260700

What numbers? That he was targeted less than everyone on the list yet surrendered more yards then every single one of them? Did you see our schedule in 2016? We faced Ryan Fitzpatrick x2, Ryan tannehill, matt Moore, rg3, jacoby brissett, case keenum, Blake bortles, Colin keepenick. Carson palmer wasn't a good qb this year. Joe flacco is meh. Andy dalton is andy dalton. Brady, Carr, Big Ben, Russell Wilson are legit. Big Ben played in awful conditions and was inept. Gilmore was good overall. In a handful of games I would consider his play below average to poor. After watching every game (as always) I would not consider Gilmores play last year very good. Can he be very good? Absolutely. He was not in 2016.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-top-nfl-cornerbacks-set-to-hit-free-agency/

"While he earned a lower grade in the 2016 season than most other CBs on this list, his larger body of work elevates him to the top of the ranking."

Out of the top 10 ranked free agent CBs this year, his rating was lower than everyone except Sterling Moore, whom we cut. Gilmores rating was 73.2. Moores was 72.3. I wouldn't consider that very good.

Edited by NewEra