Daniel Jeremiah Tweets on QBs in Draft

Hyphe23

Just thought these were interesting given the other threads out here. Thought I'd share:

Over the last few days, I studied every 3rd & 6+ throw for every top QB in this class. Also watched every INT... Worthwhile project.

Big challenge for these QBs--post snap thinking. 90 percent of their decisions are made pre-snap. If the look changes, they struggle.

I thought Trubisky did the best job of working through progressions and making good decisions. He needs to clean up some footwork.

Watson got better as year went along but too many forced throws, inconsistent recognition/decision making. Ton of 1st read throws.

Kizer much better in 15 than 16. Better protection & Fuller were key factors. Still can't dismiss issues with vision/accuracy this year.

Mahomes has incredible arm talent but he lives off script. That's tough to project. 4 of 10 INTs were simply playing 3 flies up downfield.

Peterman does a nice job climbing in the pocket and reading entire field. Better touch downfield than underneath. No wow traits.

Watson's 17 INTs, I broke it down like this--

11 combination of forcing ball/poor read

4 tipped balls

1 poorly thrown

1 miscommunication

Webb has size/big arm, makes impressive hole shot throws. Full field reads. Needs to improve pocket presence & falls off too many throws.

Kaaya has firm base & he's accurate when in clean pocket. He really struggles when forced off his spot. Lacks twitch. Very monotone.

Chad Kelly has a power arm. Supreme confidence. He can create plays with feet. Downfield touch & decision making need improvement.

Edited by Hyphe23

Yeah I'm sure different talent evaluators will have different thoughts, but based on these comments it seems like a lot of these QBs may face the same issues of going through progressions that Tyrod does at times.

That would give me little motivation to take a chance on them in the first round. I'd rather get an impact player in the first then QB later.

I agree that most of Watson's INTs are poor decisions and forcing the ball to Williams rather than "inaccuracy" which I think he has been unfairly labelled with. I said that in my evaluation too... there is an extent to which he looked smoother in 2015 when he didn't have an obvious #1 to force it to.

I still think Watson is a slightly less polished Mariota with a bit more of Winston's gunslinger mentality.

Edited by GunnerBill

I agree that most of Watson's INTs are poor decisions and forcing the ball to Williams rather than "inaccuracy" which I think he has been unfairly labelled with. I said that in my evaluation too... there is an extent to which he looked smoother in 2015 when he didn't have an obvious #1 to force it to.

I still think Watson is a slightly less polished Mariota with a bit more of Winston's gunslinger mentality.

Yeah I found your QB evaluations very thorough and insightful so thanks for posting them. I just thought people may find DJs thoughts interesting as well.

I enjoy your posts about qbs and I like DJ. It would be curious to know his thoughts on past year qbs. It's such a guessing game.

And one of the big problems with our qbs is they don't let our WRs makes plays. EJ was way too cautious. Taylor would rather make the safe play and not throw a int. Sometimes, you need to force things.

still feels like a clioboard holder in the first year with a lot of potential

keep tt for the next 2 years and bring along his replacement slowly....hop that c. jones progresses

Yeah I found your QB evaluations very thorough and insightful so thanks for posting them. I just thought people may find DJs thoughts interesting as well.

Yea DJ is good. I generally like Jeremiah, Brooks and Mayock. I find Charles Davis a little more off base with what I see more often but those other three do a good job on NLFN in my opinion.

Yea DJ is good. I generally like Jeremiah, Brooks and Mayock. I find Charles Davis a little more off base with what I see more often but those other three do a good job on NLFN in my opinion.

What's your opinion on Mel Kiper and Tod McShay?

What's your opinion on Mel Kiper and Tod McShay?

I think Kiper has got lazy if I am honest. He made his name when there were few guys doing it. If Kiper was a young guy now trying to make his way you wouldn't hear of him. Josh Norris and Matt Miller for example blow him out the water.

Watson is a superior athlete. No one can deny that. But he's a superior athlete who just happens to play quarterback on a supremely talented football team. So it's easy to see why so many have fallen in love with him as a QB option for the Bills.

But Williams, Renfrow, and Leggett saved him many times by catching poorly thrown balls. It's amazing that a few of those underthrown jump-balls to Mike Williams weren't intercepted in the Championship game (tribute to Williams being that amazing).

If the Bills select Watson, I won't be happy. But I'll cheer for him every Sunday.

Edited by somnus00

Watson is a superior athlete. No one can deny that. But he's a superior athlete who just happens to play quarterback on a supremely talented football team. So it's easy to see why so many have fallen in love with him as a QB option for the Bills.

But Williams, Renfrow, and Leggett saved him many times by catching poorly thrown balls. It's amazing that a few of those underthrown jump-balls to Mike Williams weren't intercepted in the Championship game (tribute to Williams being that amazing).

If the Bills select Watson, I won't be happy. But I'll cheer for him every Sunday.

I don't believe there's any chance we're drafting Watson.