Bills are at Clemson this morning

Astrobot

Especially if you re-work his deal so his 2017 cap hit is lower.

If they are reworking his deal I'd rather bring more money into 2017. Pay him $20m this year but reduce the drag he has on the cap in 2018 so that you can cut him. I am fine with overpaying him for one year so that you are not forced into starting a rookie.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they are reworking his deal I'd rather bring more money into 2017. Pay him $20m this year but reduce the drag he has on the cap in 2018 so that you can cut him. I am fine with overpaying him for one year so that you are not forced into starting a rookie.

I am with you on the restructure. I'd probably push it to 2 years but I wouldn't want the money tied up by year 3. He's not taking less guaranteed money. They could do something like a 2 year $32M deal fully guaranteed. That's not far off of the Bradford deal. It's more guaranteed but less annually. They could take $22M in year 1 or something. This way if they wanted to walk in year 2 the hit wouldn't be as bad. I'd suspect that they'd keep him in year 2 but if you're only on the hook for a $10M hit you may let him out.

Two things worry me about Watson. 1st, the accuracy issues at times. Clean pocket, set feet, but the ball is off just that much to prevent YAC. Things you can get away with in college, but not in the NFL. 2nd, Watson's size. The height is fine, but his playing weight is under 210lbs. He won't last at that size. He needs to pack on 20-25lbs. If he does that will it effect the rest of his game? Love his smarts, love his character, and love his competitive spirit. Would be extremely nervous if he was "our guy" though.

Apparently he also has some of the worst "under pressure" numbers in college football

I don't think starting a highly drafted rookie will amount to a wasted year. If you don't make playoffs, you are still developing a QB who could be your franchise guy instead of going another year with a stopgap. Especially if you don't think the stopgap is a playoff QB. Otoh you might actually make the playoffs if you put a good team around your rookie and he plays well enough. Dak showed us it can be done. Watson can do everything that Dak can do as a QB (only better imo). The bottom line for me is that I'm not scared to play a rookie QB. The Bills need to start identifying and developing their future.

If they cut TT this is what I want to see.

I feel like I'm in a bizzaro world with regards to Watson.

https://youtu.be/kthNvkHqxMU

This kid is THE ONE.

How he is not seen as the overall number one pick is beyond me. He has it all, but what's most important to me are his elite intangibles. I have to think he is going to be a late riser in the draft process, but right now it's considered possible for us to get him. I think that is crazy. For a team in QB purgatory, there is no way we could or should pass on him. Watson, Shady, Sammy and Clay is an instant Super bowl caliber offense.

Edited by SWATeam

I disagree. I feel like he is overhyped by his championship win. Even in that game he was quite inconsistent with his passes and decision making. He is nowhere near being pro ready. Of course, he has upside and I can be wrong. IMHO, I wouldn't come close to taking him in the first round. No thanks...

People are looking more at that one game than they are the actual player. So many have become enamored by his play in that game to the point that they aren't analyzing the actual player. Everyone keeps mentioning the national championship. My response is to tell them to take a look at a list of college national championship QB's. It proves that it doesn't always translate to the pros.

People are looking more at that one game than they are the actual player. So many have become enamored by his play in that game to the point that they aren't analyzing the actual player. Everyone keeps mentioning the national championship. My response is to tell them to take a look at a list of college national championship QB's. It proves that it doesn't always translate to the pros.

Except that isn't true. I am looking at the body of work.

Take out the national championship and he still has 8200 yards passing in 2 years.

I don't think anyone is judging him off one game.

which "people" are doing that? Watson is a 3 year starter. He has a ton of film available outside of the playoff games which where tremendous. Edited by YoloinOhio

which "people" are doing that? Watson is a 3 year starter. He has a ton of film available outside of the playoff games which where tremendous.

Yes they are judging him on passing years and games won. They aren't judging him on accuracy issues,inability to hang in the pocket, problems with turnovers, and less than ideal size. These are all major red flags in the pros. Tons of college QB's have thrown for lots of yards and won many games. There's far more to being a successful pro QB.

Take out the national championship and he still has 8200 yards passing in 2 years.

I don't think anyone is judging him off one game.

Maybe they aren't, but the National Championship run sure gets mentioned around here a lot. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Yes they are judging him on passing years and games won. They aren't judging him on accuracy issues,inability to hang in the pocket, and problems with turnovers, and less than ideal size. These are all major red flags in the pros. Tons of college QB's have thrown for lots of yards and won many games. There's far more to being a successful pro QB.

If that were the case we would not need scouts, just computers calculating who had the best stats. Watson passes my eye test without looking at a single number.

If that were the case we would not need scouts, just computers calculating who had the best stats. Watson passes my eye test without looking at a single number.

Exactly my point. It's all a matter of opinion though. Watson passes your eye test, but he doesn't pass mine. Many scouts have plenty of reservations about him as well. I meant that too many people are simply judging him by his stats without looking any further. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Exactly my point. It's all a matter of opinion though. Watson passes your eye test, but he doesn't pass mine. Many scouts have plenty of reservations about him as well. I meant that too many people are simply judging him by his stats without looking any further.

Absolutely. I've been wrong before, this stuff isn't easy.

Yes they are judging him on passing years and games won. They aren't judging him on accuracy issues,inability to hang in the pocket, problems with turnovers, and less than ideal size. These are all major red flags in the pros. Tons of college QB's have thrown for lots of yards and won many games. There's far more to being a successful pro QB.

Maybe they aren't, but the National Championship run sure gets mentioned around here a lot.

who are "they"? (The people you are referring to...) NFL scouts?

who are "they"? (The people you are referring to...) NFL scouts?

I keep asking this question. It boils down to Mayock doesn't have him as a top 10 pick (that is fine I don't have a top 10 grade on him either) and Kiper doesn't like him.

Lots and lots of other respected people have grades that match mine based on the tape.

It isn't a science though. Personally I'd be delighted with Watson at 10. I think the chances he makes a franchise QB are high.

QB Mecca: Reading DeShaun Watson Like a Book

Why Season-long context matters

http://www.qbmecca.com/reading-deshaun-watson-like-book/

A quarterbacks film catalog for a given season is like a book. The prologue and opening few chapters are necessary for understanding the remainder of the story. What may seem problematic in Chapter Two may be dissolved and made sense of by Chapter 10. A quarterbacks season needs to be thought of as a cumulative effort, not a collection of 12-14 individual performances.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I like Watson and wouldn't mind him as the Bills qb of the future but I feel like that article could have just as easily been written about tyrod. Going from Baltimore to the final Miami game.

Good read.

I like Watson and wouldn't mind him as the Bills qb of the future but I feel like that article could have just as easily been written about tyrod. Going from Baltimore to the final Miami game.

Word