Not that i was a fan, but carucci just lost me completely

dave mcbride

His decision to vote against Owens is dumb and ill informed. Surprised his piece isn't on the main page given TO's one OK season as a Bill. I agree with Florio here: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/.

My takeaway: keep Carucci far, far away from HOF voting. Owens should have been a slam-dunk first ballot hall of famer.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Vic that the HoF is about more than just numbers or else a computer could do it. I firmly believe that Canton is about more than just "are they statistically great?" He is 100% right on that. If it is just numbers it ignores that the game is played by imperfect humans - it should be judged by imperfect humans too.

However, I think he is dead wrong for his reasoning not to elect TO this year. I get all the terrible teammate stuff, I even agree with some of it. You could make an argument that not putting him as a first ballot guy was justified by taking all that into account. That was his punishment "you might have been a great player TO but you were an imperfect teammate who caused teams to implode we are going to make you wait a year." Not saying I agree with that but I could understand it. But 1 year was enough. You are now overlooking his greatness unjustifiably because the thing we know about TO is however badly it ended in each place he turned up in the next city and showed he could still ball - even when he was here.

The decision not to elect TO this year is a very bad one. I fear TO's typically imperfect reaction to it, however, means his wait will extend beyond 2 years.

Edited by GunnerBill

Vic has gotten far far away from what the jedi master of sports reporters (Felser) taught him. Of course, Larry Felser didnt have to deal with the internet, thats whats really killed alot of otherwise good reporters. Its a shame Carruci cant cultivate the type of relationship with Pegula, that Felser had with Ralph. I feel sorry for Him.

TO was a jerk and a really bad team mate, which is why he wasnt voted in.

I would have loved to see TO play with Tyrod 😂

Edited by Lex Lyon

His decision to vote against Owens is dumb and ill informed. Surprised his piece isn't on the main page given TO's one OK season as a Bill. I agree with Florio here: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/.

My takeaway: keep Carucci far, far away from HOF voting. Owens should have been a slam-dunk first ballot hall of famer.

I read your link.

Carucci should be embarrassed for his illogical and shodding thinking on this issue. There is a stereotypical portrayal of Owens because of his antics not associated with his performance. There were teammates who strongly endorsed TO and there may have been others who had a divergent opinion. Regardless what their personal opinions were about him no once can dispute his on field record.

A HOF voter should take his role more seriously and not be so casually dismissive of any candidate that he is evaluating, especially for non-performance reasons. Vic was involved in determining a person's legacy. It definitely seemed to me that the voter lacked the knowledge and perspective on the player he is considering for entrance into such a lofty membership.

I'm not a fan of TO and never have been. But he should have been inducted into the HOF with a near unanimous vote. This was unfair. Vic Carucci certainly didn't distinguish himself in this process. He should be ashamed of himself.

Vic has gotten far far away from what the jedi master of sports reporters (Felser) taught him. Of course, Larry Felser didnt have to deal with the internet, thats whats really killed alot of otherwise good reporters. Its a shame Carruci cant cultivate the type of relationship with Pegula, that Felser had with Ralph. I feel sorry for Him.

couldnt agree more

Thanks. No matter how much he slams Lil Doug this year, Vic is dead to me now. :thumbdown:

TO not in the HOF is disgusting and a HUGE black eye for the voters. Marvin Harrison had an inferior career and SHOT A GUY!! The voters look ridiculous and watching them try to justify it is even more pathetic. Fortunately they have been annihilated on social media. They are the ones that came out looking stupid.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Yeah, this is some hot mess. There are many teammates who loved T.O. at every stop. He has never been arrested or accused of any criminal activity off the field and had a well regarded work ethic in NFL circles, a work ethic that included putting up some of the best numbers ever seen at the WR position. He could run all the routes, he was a difference maker; played the Super Bowl on a broken leg and was the best player on the field. He should have already been in the HOF on ballot one, but definitely this year. It's an embarrassment for these voters that he is not.

The HOF voters have no reasonable justification for leaving him out in spite of spinning yarns trying to justify it.

He is not the second or third best receiver of all time. We've been over this ground before. YOU NEED TO ADJUST FOR THE ERA!

He's top 3 all day.

All time recieving yardage leaders

1. Rice 2. Owens 3. Moss 4. Isaac Bruce 5 Tim Brown 6 Steve Smith.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

TO not in the HOF is disgusting and a HUGE black eye for the voters. Marvin Harrison had an inferior career and SHOT A GUY!! The voters look ridiculous and watching them try to justify it is even more pathetic. Fortunately they have been annihilated on social media. They are the ones that came out looking stupid.

Yes - Harrison shot a guy. Again, truly embarrassing piece.

I read your link.

Carucci should be embarrassed for his illogical and shodding thinking on this issue. There is a stereotypical portrayal of Owens because of his antics not associated with his performance. There were teammates who strongly endorsed TO and there may have been others who had a divergent opinion. Regardless what their personal opinions were about him no once can dispute his on field record.

A HOF voter should take his role more seriously and not be so casually dismissive of any candidate that he is evaluating, especially for non-performance reasons. Vic was involved in determining a person's legacy. It definitely seemed to me that the voter lacked the knowledge and perspective on the player he is considering for entrance into such a lofty membership.

I'm not a fan of TO and never have been. But he should have been inducted into the HOF with a near unanimous vote. This was unfair. Vic Carucci certainly didn't distinguish himself in this process. He should be ashamed of himself.

Very well said on all points!!!