Bills 2016 Draft Graded "D"(oug) By NFL.COM

BillsFanInJax

They got a combined 8 games out of their top 2 picks and took a QB that they didn't plan to play in the 4th. I don't think that we should have expected a high grade. Vic Beasley was considered a bust a year ago too.

I will be concerned if Lawson doesn't take steps this year. I was never a big Ragland guy so he's more likely to impress me than underwhelm. If he's a decent starter that will be a win in my book. Seymour looks like a steal in the 7th. It is far too early to have an opinion on the Bills 2016 class (other than they need to get healthy).

The tone of this article sounds like someone with an agenda.

A. Washington had a great rookie year for an interior rookie lineman taken in the third round. Regardless of his size.

Wake me up in two years from now. If Lawson gets 8-12 sacks a season, Ragland turns into an every down LB with Seymour and Washington improving on a solid rookie campaign, talk to me then.

Yes the draft sucked but blaming Doug is ridiculous. It had Rex written all over it. Get the Clemson guy, the throwback guy who does not fit at all in the NFL and throw in another below average front 7 guy for good measure. Because.....Rex is all in. Whaley really needs to be judged from this point forward. If the Pegulas really picked Rex then not only is the disaster that was the last 2 season on them, but so was the wasted draft.

Yes the draft sucked but blaming Doug is ridiculous. It had Rex written all over it. Get the Clemson guy, the throwback guy who does not fit at all in the NFL and throw in another below average front 7 guy for good measure. Because.....Rex is all in. Whaley really needs to be judged from this point forward. If the Pegulas really picked Rex then not only is the disaster that was the last 2 season on them, but so was the wasted draft.

Whaley doesn't even control the 90 anymore. He's a glorified scout now.

Whaley selected a guy he knew wouldn't contribute this year.

That's a fail.

They got a combined 8 games out of their top 2 picks and took a QB that they didn't plan to play in the 4th. I don't think that we should have expected a high grade. Vic Beasley was considered a bust a year ago too.

I will be concerned if Lawson doesn't take steps this year. I was never a big Ragland guy so he's more likely to impress me than underwhelm. If he's a decent starter that will be a win in my book. Seymour looks like a steal in the 7th. It is far too early to have an opinion on the Bills 2016 class (other than they need to get healthy).

Silliness, I wish I hadn't clicked.

this^

this^

^+1

Doug is bulletproof and never drafted a player way ahead of where he should be or traded way to much to move up or gave a contact that unecessairly overpaid someone or gave a contract that actually paid someone while they were suspended. If this happened it was someone else who was responsible for it and he had no knowledge of it.

Didn't answer what I asked.

What's more important, the first year or the career?

For most teams, it's the career. But when you haven't been in the playoffs for as long as the Bills have been, your early draft picks better start contributing soon. For instance, only clown show management reaches for a major project of a QB in the 1st round like an EJ Manuel; no sense of urgency at all.

^+1

Doug is bulletproof and never drafted a player way ahead of where he should be or traded way to much to move up or gave a contact that unecessairly overpaid someone or gave a contract that actually paid someone while they were suspended. If this happened it was someone else who was responsible for it and he had no knowledge of it.

Nice sarcasm dude but can you honestly say that this draft didn't have REX written all over it? You hate Whaley. Fine. But that doesn't change the obvious reality.

Nice sarcasm dude but can you honestly say that this draft didn't have REX written all over it? You hate Whaley. Fine. But that doesn't change the obvious reality.

I don't hate Whaley the person. i think he is abysmal at his job and stated why in my post and after how he acted at the Rex firing he is a !@#$ing liar. You blame Rex for the draft but isnt it the GM who is responsible for drafting players that fit the scheme of the current coach? Would be nice if he didnt spend a first in an already injured player though.

For most teams, it's the career. But when you haven't been in the playoffs for as long as the Bills have been, your early draft picks better start contributing soon. For instance, only clown show management reaches for a major project of a QB in the 1st round like an EJ Manuel; no sense of urgency at all.

Soon, sure. But not necessarily 1.

Folks forget Dareus and JJ Watt had nearly identical first seasons. Which one would you rather have today?

We'll see what happens. I won't say I love Shaq the player, because I don't, but if he puts up double digit sack numbers and is disruptive this year, I can hardly fault Whaley for picking him.

Besides, there's more than enough ammo to string Doug up without resorting to "if Shaq sucks."

Folks forget Dareus and JJ Watt had nearly identical first seasons. Which one would you rather have today?

We'll see what happens. I won't say I love Shaq the player, because I don't, but if he puts up double digit sack numbers and is disruptive this year, I can hardly fault Whaley for picking him.

Besides, there's more than enough ammo to FIRE Doug without resorting to "if Shaq sucks."

Not your biggest fan but you may think about editing your post

Besides, there's more than enough ammo to string Doug up without resorting to "if Shaq sucks."

I don't say too much about it, but I am still a big Dareus fan, though I know he deserves the abuse he gets in here... and I am not a fan of high-motor lunch-pailers roided to the max, not even Gronk. Common sense says to take Watt and I know I'd have to, but I wouldn't be happy about it. I'd rather have a MD who has fully realized his potential.

I don't say too much about it, but I am still a big Dareus fan, though I know he deserves the abuse he gets in here... and I am not a fan of high-motor lunch-pailers roided to the max, not even Gronk. Common sense says to take Watt and I know I'd have to, but I wouldn't be happy about it. I'd rather have a MD who has fully realized his potential.

I like Gronk because you can tell he's mostly genuine, even if he hams it up a bit for the cameras.

Watt is the biggest phony of all time. He made Hard Knocks impossible to watch.

You really cant be that !@#$ing stupid to use "Stringing UP" and Doug Whaley in 2017 on an Internet post?

Wow. What occurred to you? I took it as normal (if possibly misguided) Bills bashing, but....that's about it.

I like Gronk because you can tell he's mostly genuine, even if he hams it up a bit for the cameras.

Watt is the biggest phony of all time. He made Hard Knocks impossible to watch.

From that standpoint yeah, I definitely do like Gronk more than Watt, plus he's WNY. I can see Watt becoming the next Lyle Alzado.

The tone of this article sounds like someone with an agenda.

A. Washington had a great rookie year for an interior rookie lineman taken in the third round. Regardless of his size.

Wake me up in two years from now. If Lawson gets 8-12 sacks a season, Ragland turns into an every down LB with Seymour and Washington improving on a solid rookie campaign, talk to me then.

Clearly anyone who says anything negative about a team that hasnt made the playoffs in seventeen years has an agenda.

Wow. What occurred to you? I took it as normal (if possibly misguided) Bills bashing, but....that's about it.

Apparently I'm allowed to use a common idiom when referring to a white guy but not a black guy. What's that thing called you when you treat people different based on their race again?

Edited by FireChan

Apparently I'm allowed to use a common idiom when referring to a white guy but not a black guy. What's that thing called you when you treat people different based on their race again?

Oooooh, Uh, uh, wait......I know this. Ummm, starts with an r...... geez, I'll get back to you.

I may have a rather different perspective, but I don't like putting up with that BS too much.

I'm sick of the "Whaley is bad at his job crap." As a GM he has been able to identify scrap heap guys like Alexander, Zach Brown, Tyrod Taylor, Chris Hogan and Richie Incognito and bring them in on cheap deals and get great production out of them. Our offense has improved significantly and if Rex could have kept the defense performing at a high level we would have easily made the playoffs.

Did he make a mistake drafting EJ? Sure but lots of GMs draft QBs that don't work out. There are about 20 teams out there that are still looking for one, you have to get lucky. If it were easy then Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Drew Brees and Dak Prescott would have all been early first round picks.

Edited by Hyphe23

I'm sick of the "Whaley is bad at his job crap." As a GM he has been able to identify scrap heap guys like Alexander, Zach Brown, Tyrod Taylor, Chris Hogan and Richie Incognito and bring them in on cheap deals and get great production out of them. Our offense has improved significantly and if Rex could have kept the defense performing at a high level we would have easily made the playoffs.

Did he make a mistake drafting EJ? Sure but lots of GMs draft QBs that don't work out. There are about 20 teams out there that are still looking for one, you have to get lucky. If it were easy then Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Drew Brees and Dak Prescott would have all been early first round picks.

Incognito was a year too late.

Whaley also drafted the oft injured Watkins, Woods (gone), Kiko (not good), Goodwin (gone), PB (not good), Kujo (not good), Duke Williams (bad, cut), Meeks (bad, bout to be cut), Karlos (cut), Steward (cut), Dez Lewis (bad), Randell Johnson (bad), Seantrel (bad, pot addict), Cyril (cut), Cockrell (cut), Shaq (TBD, hurt), Ragland (TBD, hurt), Aldolphus (lazy), Cardale (call me in 4 years), JWill (bad), Listenbee (who?), Seymour (who?), Hopkins (cut), Gragg (gone).

Don't forget to mention;

Giving TT a contract a year too early for no reason.

Overpaid and gave way too much guaranteed money for a terrible, hurt Chris Williams when Richie was waiting for a call to play for nothing.

Going into a season with Kolb the walking IR as our starter/vet.

Going into a season with EJ, Thad and Tuel as the guys.

Doubling down on EeeeeeeeeeJJjjjjjjj with the Watkins trade.

Having to get screamed out to sign Orton by his coach even though his boy sucked.

The Dareus "smoke weed and be happy" clause

All is not lollipops and fairy tales in OBD.

We'll probably sign one player from the 2013 and 2014 drafts COMBINED, to second contracts. This dude sucks.

Edited by FireChan

You really cant be that !@#$ing stupid to use "Stringing UP" and Doug Whaley in 2017 on an Internet post?

You're a !@#$ing moron. Stirring up **** out of nothing. Complete and total ass hole.

Edited by Gugny

I think Whaley is better than most, and it's easy to cherry pick using hindsight. Compare him to his peers and he stands up favorably. We had enough talent to make the playoffs last year, but we had a clown for a coach. (Though I wish him well in a booth somewhere, where I think he can do well.)

Incognito was a year too late.

Whaley also drafted the oft injured Watkins, Woods (gone), Kiko (not good), Goodwin (gone), PB (not good), Kujo (not good), Duke Williams (bad, cut), Meeks (bad, bout to be cut), Karlos (cut), Steward (cut), Dez Lewis (bad), Randell Johnson (bad), Seantrel (bad, pot addict), Cyril (cut), Cockrell (cut), Shaq (TBD, hurt), Ragland (TBD, hurt), Aldolphus (lazy), Cardale (call me in 4 years), JWill (bad), Listenbee (who?), Seymour (who?), Hopkins (cut), Gragg (gone).

Don't forget to mention;

Giving TT a contract a year too early for no reason.

Overpaid and gave way too much guaranteed money for a terrible, hurt Chris Williams when Richie was waiting for a call to play for nothing.

Going into a season with Kolb the walking IR as our starter/vet.

Going into a season with EJ, Thad and Tuel as the guys.

Doubling down on EeeeeeeeeeJJjjjjjjj with the Watkins trade.

Having to get screamed out to sign Orton by his coach even though his boy sucked.

The Dareus "smoke weed and be happy" clause

All is not lollipops and fairy tales in OBD.

We'll probably sign one player from the 2013 and 2014 drafts COMBINED, to second contracts. This dude sucks.

You're mentioning 7th round picks as busts, most of those don't work out. Sammy is good but injured all the time, that's bad luck. Kiko was an all pro who he flipped for Shady who helped us lead the league in rushing.

I also forgot to mention he got Jerry Hughes too. Talent wasn't the issue, injuries and bad coaching was the issue.

You're mentioning 7th round picks as busts, most of those don't work out. Sammy is good but injured all the time, that's bad luck. Kiko was an all pro who he flipped for Shady who helped us lead the league in rushing.

I also forgot to mention he got Jerry Hughes too. Talent wasn't the issue, injuries and bad coaching was the issue.

Not true.

Drunk Chip traded us Shady, not the other way around.

Hughes was solid.

Again, 1 player over 2 drafts re-signed. 15 picks. 1 player. And we had to use 2 firsts and a 4th to select that guy.

Brutal.