Perils of Vanity - When Coaches Refuse to Run out the Clock

YoloinOhio

The cheats were lucky because of Atlantas stupidity.

Vanity is the right word. It was Kyle Shanahan's ego. But when they got onto the Pats 22/23 yard line 1st and 10 knowing a FG all but seals it Dan Quinn should have been on the headset saying "Kyle, run it three times please and finish on Bryant's preferred hash."

That they so royally cocked it up is mindblowing.

No kidding, because after that bonehead series of offensive playcalling, the pats quickly scored on that crazy 31 point play....

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What?

Yes, what?

There were other opportunities to salvage the win after that disastrous drive. People seem to be passing over the fact that the pats scored 25 unanswered points in the latter part of regulation. 31 unanswered overall on 4 scoring 5 scoring drives after the Falcons scored their last points.

Defense is paid to stop the offense. The pats last 2 TD drives in the 4th Q lasted only 2 1/2 minutes each. The FG drive before that was only 5 min. This wasn't a shootout--it was the pats spotting the Falcons a 25 point lead and then an epic defensive collapse by Atlanta's ("gassed"??) D.

There were other opportunities to salvage the win after that disastrous drive. People seem to be passing over the fact that the pats scored 25 unanswered points in the latter part of regulation. 31 unanswered overall on 4 scoring 5 scoring drives after the Falcons scored their last points.

Defense is paid to stop the offense. The pats last 2 TD drives in the 4th Q lasted only 2 1/2 minutes each. The FG drive before that was only 5 min. This wasn't a shootout--it was the pats spotting the Falcons a 25 point lead and then an epic defensive collapse by Atlanta's ("gassed"??) D.

I'm not so sure that people are passing over that fact or just pointing out that calling 2 more running plays on their fateful drive would have likely led to the Falcons winning the Super Bowl, despite the defensive collapse.

I'm not so sure that people are passing over that fact or just pointing out that calling 2 more running plays on their fateful drive would have likely led to the Falcons winning the Super Bowl, despite the defensive collapse.

Nope never was going to happen. Patriots were always going to win.

Agree with this completely. I've seen far too many offenses both at the NFL and college levels try to sit on 14 point leads in the middle of the 3rd quarter. It does seem like the second an offense that's rolling decides to play ball control their entire rhythm is shot and it's only a matter of time until the comeback is complete.

First off, it is important to note how many times the Falcons snapped the ball with 10-15 seconds left on the play clock in the 4th quarter, that is completely unacceptable regardless of what you are trying to accomplish. However, I also agree with you that the only time I have a real complaint with the Falcons scheme was after the Jones catch. That is a situation where you run it into the line 3 times, burn the timeouts / run the clock and create a 2 score ballgame. That's more Tevin Coleman's game than Devonta Freeman's game, so I do wonder if the Coleman injury played into the play calling. It is important to note the refs missed a critical facemask on Sanu that would have offset the Matthews hold that further sunk that series after Ryan's sack. It's amazing how many times both HC and OCs fail in end-game management situations, I do think that's the #1 difference between a 11 win NFL team and a 7 win NFL team.

That is a great point about the time left on the play clock before the snap, I noticed that right before the strip-sack. Even if its not Freeman's strength you have to go with it in that situation. The FG there really changes what the Patriots could do after that needing two scores

Whatever you're talking about - 25 points, 31 points - none of that would have mattered if they had done the smart thing after the Jones catch, so you really have no point here..............It would have been "Well, at least the Pats made it interesting"

Whatever you're talking about - 25 points, 31 points - none of that would have mattered if they had done the smart thing after the Jones catch, so you really have no point here..............It would have been "Well, at least the Pats made it interesting"

Yup; the Pats still would have scored 25 second half points as they would have driven for another TD. Difference is that would have made it 31-28 and Atlanta would only have needed to recover an onside kick with seconds remaining to clinch the game.

Yup; the Pats still would have scored 25 second half points as they would have driven for another TD. Difference is that would have made it 31-28 and Atlanta would only have needed to recover an onside kick with seconds remaining to clinch the game.

Exactly!

I haven't ignored that. But if they just run it 3 times and kick the field goal there they go up 11 with just over 3 minutes remaining and at worst New England have used one additional time out (so have just one left). They now need to drive the length of the field, score, make the 2pt conversion, recover an onside kick, drive into field goal range and make a field goal. In 3 minutes with only 1 time out and the 2 minute warning. That is a very tough ask.

You can find many faults with the Falcons 4th Quarter but that series of mistakes was the definitive one. Kick that Field Goal they win the Superbowl 95 times out of 100.

Edited by GunnerBill

That point has clearly been made endlessly.. One defensive stop and they still recover from that boneheaded series--or in fact wouldn't have been is that position with minutes left.

Edited by Mr. WEO

At that point in the game I said to myself a FG wins it, 3 score game and not enough tIme. If I said that, certainly NFL coaches knew as much (on both sides). Which is the key point. BB knew it. So what did you think he was going to run on the defensive side? Hell bent on pass rush praying they could get a hold or a sack. He had no risk at that point. A FG ended his season. If you wanted to throw in that spot a screen, HB or WR, was the call.

just like when seattle was lining up at the two im standing in front of the tv repeating instructions out loud like im some kind of lunatic, "dont drop back to pass, dont drop back to pass, dont drop back to pass"

how do these guys not know this?!? how do they get to that level and still dont know that is a chance you simply do NOT take against the cheaters? you stuff your dick up under your balls, you run the ball into the line, and you do what you have to do to win - which is DO NOT DROP BACK TO PASS YOU EGOTISTICAL MORAN

just like when seattle was lining up at the two im standing in front of the tv repeating instructions out loud like im some kind of lunatic, "dont drop back to pass, dont drop back to pass, dont drop back to pass"

how do these guys not know this?!? how do they get to that level and still dont know that is a chance you simply do NOT take against the cheaters? you stuff your dick up under your balls, you run the ball into the line, and you do what you have to do to win - which is DO NOT DROP BACK TO PASS YOU EGOTISTICAL MORAN

Why did Kelly keep throwing against a 2 man line, when Thurman was dominating on the ground? Belichick is a witch.

I agree. Also, everyone assumes that 3 runs & a FG is what's going to happen. I bet it is 50-50 that Atl picks up a first down running & the game is over thus negating the need for a FG try.

exactly

it was colossally boneheaded to drop back to pass there. it entirely possible they could have rushed the ball into the endzone too. even three straight kneeldowns losing a yard each would have given them a minimum 75% chance of kicking a good fg

and if you ARE going to pass there, why in the hell didnt they call a play like a screen that would have allowed ryan to throw a ball like my mom and short hop it ten feet from the receivers feet so that they wouldnt lose yardage? its entirely shocking how completely stupid and unnecessary that was

why the !@#$ have the last two cheater sb wins come against teams that committed unforgivable boneheadedly risky plays that never needed to be ran at all? man football has sucked ass for everyone not living in boston for ten !@#$ing years, why the hell are these ****heads gifting ADDITIONAL sb wins to these cheating scum?!?