Brady's Legacy

We all know that, as it stands, Brady's 4-2 Super Bowl record pales in comparison to Montana's undefeated 4-0 record (as well as Bradshaw's). Even with a win in two weeks, 5-2 still can't eclipse going undefeated like Montana, whom he can never catch. I think, interestingly enough, he may have been better off losing yesterday because if they do in fact lose to the high flying Falcons now, and his Super Bowl record drops all the way to 4-3, his legacy takes an enormous hit. At that point, you may have to start elevating such undefeated Super Bowl QB's as Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco- certainly Eli Manning- to maybe not all time greater QB's than Brady, but definitely all time greater Super Bowl performing QB's. As has been established on this board, playing in the Super Bowl is a very dangerous game- if you win, obviously your legacy is elevated. But if you lose, your legacy takes a hit and you're better off having not made it in the first place. For instance, a guy like Donovan McNabb is a far greater all time QB for losing all those NFC Championship games than he would be if he won them but lost in the Super Bowl. Shall be very interesting to see how this plays out in a couple weeks.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His legacy is this no matter what happens in the Superbowl.

He is the BEST QB in the Modern Era for football and likely the BEST of all times, because he did it in the Salary Cap Era, not the can keep a elite franchise together NON Salary Cap Era Montana played in.

Edited by MAJBobby

Wishful thinking. Brady's legacy is pretty darn solid. If his goal is to be GOAT, then a loss in this SB will not help, but 5-2 or 4-3 is still a stellar legacy that can't be denied -- much as we all hate to admit it.

He is the BEST QB in the Modern Era for football

Yeah but he can never catch Montana as far as his Super Bowl legacy. Even if he goes 7-2, he can never catch Montana's 4-0. You see, part of the beauty of Montana's career was losing three conference championship games to help preserve his perfect 4-0 Super Bowl record.

He is the BEST QB in the Modern Era for football and likely the BEST of all times, because he did it in the Salary Cap Era, not the can keep a elite franchise together NON Salary Cap Era Montana played in.

Yes unfortunately this is correct...dont care about overall super bowl record...count the rings man

Peyton is a close 2nd

The boston globe tweeted yesterday that BB was the greatest coach ever. Luke russert retweeted and stated that Barry Bonds was the greatest hitter since Ted Williams, but his obituary cannot be written without the word "cheater" in it. I'm paraphrasing the tweet since I cannot access Twitter at work...

With that said, yes, Tom Brady is a great QB, but you cannot write his obituary without mentioning cheating.

Yeah but he can never catch Montana as far as his Super Bowl legacy. Even if he goes 7-2, he can never catch Montana's 4-0. You see, part of the beauty of Montana's career was losing three conference championship games to help preserve his perfect 4-0 Super Bowl record.

Salary Cap (Brady) vs Non (Montana).

Brady is the best of all time. I get it we all hate him but anything less is Naïve to say

Agreed

If he ends his career 7-2 in Super Bowls I think that is better than 4-0 or at least debatable. 7 SB wins!

The boston globe tweeted yesterday that BB was the greatest coach ever. Luke russert retweeted and stated that Barry Bonds was the greatest hitter since Ted Williams, but his obituary cannot be written without the word "cheater" in it. I'm paraphrasing the tweet since I cannot access Twitter at work...

With that said, yes, Tom Brady is a great QB, but you cannot write his obituary without mentioning cheating.

that's fair. it's part of the story. how one chooses to see that in relation to everyone else out there is up to them.

the guy is an exceptional qb anyway you slice it. he'll be ok.

this is a bit like crayonz posts about it being good to lose games if you are out of conference, right?

Correct. It is a calling out of sorts to the approximately 10% of TBD posters who still adhere to the most idiotic, illogical, easily refutable football argument I have ever heard in my life (and that is not hyperbole) that Montana's 4-0 Super Bowl record > Brady's 4-2 Super Bowl record.

We all know that, as it stands, Brady's 4-2 Super Bowl record pales in comparison to Montana's undefeated 4-0 record (as well as Bradshaw's). Even with a win in two weeks, 5-2 still can't eclipse going undefeated like Montana, whom he can never catch. I think, interestingly enough, he may have been better off losing yesterday because if they do in fact lose to the high flying Falcons now, and his Super Bowl record drops all the way to 4-3, his legacy takes an enormous hit. At that point, you may have to start elevating such undefeated Super Bowl QB's as Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco- certainly Eli Manning- to maybe not all time greater QB's than Brady, but definitely all time greater Super Bowl performing QB's. As has been established on this board, playing in the Super Bowl is a very dangerous game- if you win, obviously your legacy is elevated. But if you lose, your legacy takes a hit and you're better off having not made it in the first place. For instance, a guy like Donovan McNabb is a far greater all time QB for losing all those NFC Championship games than he would be if he won them but lost in the Super Bowl. Shall be very interesting to see how this plays out in a couple weeks.

I will NEVER understand how going 4-0 is better than going 4-2. I mean the guy is less great because he made the big game two MORE times than Montana or Bradshaw! Also in theb2 losses he had gotten the lead for the team with around 2 minutes to go. I don't know what else a QB can do in those spots... he can't play D!

Also Kelly >>>>>>>> McNair and he lost 4 straight SB! The crazy notion that losing a SB makes you less of a great player is just astronomically dumb in my opinion.

IMO I hate comparing different eras against eachother as rules, and leagues change. Brady IMO (biased as it is) is the greatest QB in the modern era followed by P. Manning. I think P Manning is LIGHTYEARS Better than his little Bro even though he is 2-1 and Eli is 2-0.

Edited by PatsFanNH

Correct. It is a calling out of sorts to the approximately 10% of TBD posters who still adhere to the most idiotic, illogical, easily refutable football argument I have ever heard in my life (and that is not hyperbole) that Montana's 4-0 Super Bowl record > Brady's 4-2 Super Bowl record.

And 5-2 is and will always be better than 4-0 (more wins)

Now BB legacy is a little harder for me, because he is tied Directly to Brady.

So is BB still BB without Tom Brady? and for that matter the mysterious Ernie Adams

I think BB and TB are intertwined and cannot be separated for purposes of ranking coaches/QBs

I think one without the other never ever comes close to the success they have achieved together

Take TB away from BB and BB is an average football coach, take BB away from TB and TB is an average QB...together, and with the winning and confidence that has happened which has grown spread to all players on the team, they have become the best QB and best coach in NFL history

What they have done together is incredible, and as a Bills fan, heart breaking