The Trump Economy

GG

55 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

What do workers, businesses and farms have to do with the economy? ?

No sympathy for a business owner who is being strangled by government overreach? This is purely the result of bigotry driven policy. Let the businesses man hire who he wants, citizen or no citizen. 

What government overreach??  There are legal ways for farmers to hire all the immigrant workers they need . Always has been and will always likely be.  No need to skirt the law.  

1 hour ago, Koko78 said:

On top of that, there are ways to hire actual citizens for dairy farm work.

Well that was my point in my saying that almost all the field work was done by US citizens when I was a kid.  We called them "migrant workers"  Now they're illegal immigrant workers.  "I have good news and bad news.  The bad news is we're suspending your unemployment/welfare checks.  Here's the good news. You're about to get some fresh air."

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

What government overreach??  There are legal ways for farmers to hire all the immigrant workers they need . Always has been and will always likely be.  No need to skirt the law.  

Well that was my point in my saying that almost all the field work was done by US citizens when I was a kid.  We called them "migrant workers"  Now they're illegal immigrant workers.  "I have good news and bad news.  The bad news is we're suspending your unemployment/welfare checks.  Here's the good news. You're about to get some fresh air."

There's not *that* much field work involved in dairy farming anymore. They're not exactly sending people out to pick up stones prior to planting these days.

Milkers and stall cleaners are the most labor-intensive positions - and most significant farms have auto-milkers now.

Just now, Koko78 said:

There's not *that* much field work involved in dairy farming anymore. They're not exactly sending people out to pick up stones prior to planting these days.

Milkers and stall cleaners are the most labor-intensive positions - and most significant farms have auto-milkers now.

Yes, but when you employ people who are undocumented and don't officially exist, you can treat them as slave labor.  Which is far cheaper and more cost-effective.  

2 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

I didn't read the article so I'm not sure if it was only about dairy.  Sure that's the main agricultural business in NY but there are other crops that are grown there that require picking. Used to love to chase after the trucks loaded with green beans and pick them off the road, wash them off and eat them raw!  Yum!!

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Yes, but when you employ people who are undocumented and don't officially exist, you can treat them as slave labor.  Which is far cheaper and more cost-effective.  

Yes and all that cost efficiency goes right to the farmers bottom line which goes back into the economy. So I guess Tibs was right.  This is about the economy.  

5 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Yes and all that cost efficiency goes right to the farmers bottom line which goes back into the economy. So I guess Tibs was right.  This is about the economy.  

Of course it is.  The Morlocks were vital to the Eloi economy.

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

Of course it is.  The Morlocks were vital to the Eloi economy.

Yes of course they were. No doubt about it Chief.  The Morlocks were absolutely vital to the Eloi economy.  I have just one question Chief.  Who are the  Morlocks and Eloi??

31 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I didn't read the article so I'm not sure if it was only about dairy.  Sure that's the main agricultural business in NY but there are other crops that are grown there that require picking. Used to love to chase after the trucks loaded with green beans and pick them off the road, wash them off and eat them raw!  Yum!!

Roadkill?

47 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

The missing part is the supply of reliable labor.  It's not only about cost.  If cost was the only issue, it would have been solved a long time ago.  Americans just aren't into back breaking manual labor any more, even though many only qualify for that kind of work.

1 hour ago, Koko78 said:

So you don't want the evil capitalist business owner paying his 'fair share' of taxes?

He can pay more if he can hire workers to get the job done, right? 

Funny how that ...WORKS 

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Especially if the "slaves" are afraid to go to the police for fear of deportation. Isn't that how they scare sex slaves? 

8 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Why do liberals always feel that it is ok to break the law if it suits their goals?

Rules are only there for the other people. "Do as I say, not as I do."

1 hour ago, GG said:

The missing part is the supply of reliable labor.  It's not only about cost.  If cost was the only issue, it would have been solved a long time ago.  Americans just aren't into back breaking manual labor any more, even though many only qualify for that kind of work.

It's because due to all the social "safety nets" available to them they don't have to do ANY work let alone back breaking manual labor.  Take away the gravy train and see how long it takes them to line up for these jobs.  

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

If he can find them. 

Where did they all go?

55 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Why do liberals always feel that it is ok to break the law if it suits their goals?

anything is permissible to further the reach of the Communist Party Worldwide