Doesn't Whaley have to retain Taylor?

Mikie2times

In this climate, having a GM on thin ice, having a new owner being questioned for his competency in running a football operation, having a new head coach tasked with breaking the longest playoff drought in the big 4 N. American sports and fan base that hasn't grown anymore patient as a result.....

If you let Tyrod walk without a viable replacement you open yourself up to a beating. The type of beating people lose a job over. Terry isn't losing his job. Sean is 100% safe barring a 2-14 year. We can sit here and talk about what's smart for the long term or what is the most economically sound decision but for Whaley his job is on the line. If we enter 2017 and go 6-10 or worse with a different QB and Tyrod is in the playoffs Whaley would likely lose his job. Self preservation has to factor into this decision.

Whaley can land a trade (FA has no solution better than Tyrod) or Whaley/Terry etc can decide they need to blow the position up with a rookie and they likely accept 2017 is somewhat of a rebuilding year. Tricky part to the second scenario is this isn't a full rebuild roster and I don't know if the fan base is patient enough to let go of what appears to be a 2-3 year potential window if you keep Taylor.

I think the most likely scenario we see Taylor in a Bills uniform in 2017.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Whaley drafts a QB he buys himself 3 years while that QB develops. So you are wrong. It would not be to his benefit to keep Tyrod

Huge cut there and the big whiffer

Whaley drafting a QB will not buy Whaley any more years.

Why wouldn't the Bills move on to a different GM if they draft a QB in 2017?

Huge cut there and the big whiffer

Whaley drafting a QB will not buy Whaley any more years.

Why wouldn't the Bills move on to a different GM if they draft a QB in 2017?

Because it will take the QB a number of years to develop. If that QB ends up being the next Peyton Manning are they going to fire the GM that drafted him after his first year? Took Peyton about 3 years to be Peyton

If Whaley drafts a QB he buys himself 3 years while that QB develops. So you are wrong. It would not be to his benefit to keep Tyrod

That's with the assumption that Pegula agrees with what you're saying. If so, that means Pegula doesn't mind paying a hefty price on a roster built more to compete than rebuild and is also patient enough to withstand 2-3 years of our current fan base in a rebuild. That is a big stretch. I don't see drafting a QB as buying Whaley time, in fact if that rookie has a poor showing in 2017 as most rookies do, it would likely be the nail in the coffin. This isn't a patient environment.

Edited by KzooMike

Drafting a QB won't buy him more time. He's on thin ice.

Do you think he would be leading the coaching search and drafting a QB if he was on his way out? Newsflash: brand new offense and brand new defense = rebuild. It takes 2-3 years to get the right personnel and learn the plays. Especially with a rookie QB if that's the route they go. We are a long ways away. They aren't going to get rid of the GM one year into that transition. Maybe after 2 if it's trending downward. Whaley is tied to this coaching staff and the next QB for better or worse

While I agree with your conclusion that it makes great sense to keep TT I totally disagree with your premises. The idea that Whaley is on thin ice and that The Pegs are somehow incompetents is completely the creation of bottom feeding and burnt out local media dregs, amplified by lazy, poorly informed national media. This narrative has infected a substantial part of Bills followers as we easily see on these threads.

I see what's been going on with the Bills lately as signs that the dysfunction that's been the hallmark of the organization since Ralph started the franchise is actually being exorcised. I believe we are witnessing a new Bills identity being born. And as with any birth, there is pain, it is messy, it is stressful, and it takes awhile.

Do you think he would be leading the coaching search and drafting a QB if he was on his way out? Newsflash: brand new offense and brand new defense = rebuild. It takes 2-3 years to get the right personnel and learn the plays. Especially with a rookie QB if that's the route they go. We are a long ways away. They aren't going to get rid of the GM one year into that transition. Maybe after 2 if it's trending downward. Whaley is tied to this coaching staff and the next QB for better or worse

Yes, I do.

Because I think that Whaley was sitting next to them in the box all season and shaking his head at Rex in unison with them and they think maybe they haven't given DW a fair shake.

Human nature.

But Doug has been a train-wreck of his own the past season and has yet to produce anything resembling a franchise QB in 7 years in a key personnel role with the team.

Rex brought Tyrod in and that is by far the most productive QB they've had.

I think DW is gone next January if the Bills fail to qualify for postseason play yet again........but that could change depending on the tenor of the finish.

If they win their last 5 and narrowly miss the playoffs at 9-7 or 10-6 that might be enough feel-good to carry on but another bumbling finish like the first few seasons in his GM term and I think they will be ready to move on to Monos or someone else.

I would say 40 - 49% of the Bills fan base probably wants Whaley fired right now. If Bills do a typical dog chasing tail show next season and the offense digresses substantially and TT is not here, look for Whaley's head to roll sooner rather than later. Especially with another losing record.

There are numerous factors obviously. How does TT perform elsewhere? How does our QB perform? But I would say Whaley is on somewhat thin ice but still firm standing.

Of course i could see a worst case scenario for Whaley: TT succeeds elsewhere, our answer at QB flops, and the team has another losing season. If all of those factor come together at once next season, i cant see Whaley surviving that.

Really? You think the Pegs will allow him 3 more years without a playoff appearance? I don't.

I think Whaley's mindset is win now.

I think Whaley is safe barring an unintended tank. I don't think they are planning on tanking but they might be.

Only way I think he goes is if they are planning on being pretty good and what he delivers is a tank.

I think the Pegulas are riding the Whaley - McDermott train for 3 years minimum. They are unpredictable owners though.

Yes, I do.

Because I think that Whaley was sitting next to them in the box all season and shaking his head at Rex in unison with them and they think maybe they haven't given DW a fair shake.

Human nature.

But Doug has been a train-wreck of his own the past season and has yet to produce anything resembling a franchise QB in 7 years in a key personnel role with the team.

Rex brought Tyrod in and that is by far the most productive QB they've had.

I think DW is gone next January if the Bills fail to qualify for postseason play yet again........but that could change depending on the tenor of the finish.

If they win their last 5 and narrowly miss the playoffs at 9-7 or 10-6 that might be enough feel-good to carry on but another bumbling finish like the first few seasons in his GM term and I think they will be ready to move on to Monos or someone else.

If they felt that way they would be like this Doug Whaley doesn't know what he's doing we aren't letting him find the next coaching staff to sign to a contract for 5 years. We will get a GM that knows what they are doing. Someone we can trust. Apparently they like Doug Whaley so they want to see what he can do with a new coaching staff and new QB