Childress & Olson Both Reported as Out for Bills' OC

I respectfully disagree with you that just because a coach is "recycled", that does not necessarily make him a bad coach. Someone else pointed out the Pete Carroll had been fired twice in the NFL. The MASTER Bill Belichick was also fired from his first head coaching job.

I am not saying that some young up-and-comer couldn't do a good job - heck you could strike gold, but I am suggesting that guys who have been fired might still be really great coaches.

I wouldn't worry about convincing him. At this point he has expressed his feelings but has not supported them with data. Most people know that Childress is a top offensive mind.

Edited by jeffismagic

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respectfully disagree with you that just because a coach is "recycled", that does not necessarily make him a bad coach. Someone else pointed out the Pete Carroll had been fired twice in the NFL. The MASTER Bill Belichick was also fired from his first head coaching job.

I am not saying that some young up-and-comer couldn't do a good job - heck you could strike gold, but I am suggesting that guys who have been fired might still be really great coaches.

Excellent post. Thank you for that.

Hard to ignore how disliked Childress was in Minnesota...

Definitely makes you a little nervous about the guy.

I'm fine with bringing failed HCs in as Coordinators. Let them get back to what they were good at, while benefiting from their experience as a HC.

I'm NOT fine with bringing failed Coordinators in as Coordinators (Olson), or failed position coaches in as position coaches (David Lee).

I wouldn't worry about convincing him. At this point he has expressed his feelings but has not supported them with data. Most people know that Childress is a top offensive mind.

http://www.chiefs.com/team/coaches/brad-childress/04173ba8-f8ee-4edf-adef-43b0fd7f918d

32 years of coaching experience and this guy hasn't sniffed Superbowl success...complete mediocrity. Yet, posters such as yourself, believe just making it to the playoffs is success. That is only a step toward success. Color me unimpressed if this is our choice. Yes, he had a great season with Brett Favre...who wouldn't. Then he was fired.

The argument seems to be "Well Pete Carroll and Bill Bellicheat were coaches who failed and then had success so why should we not consider Childress? Why? Because I don't want to wait for another 32 years for him to succeed. His coaching tree includes Andy Reid, Pat Schurmer and Leslie Frazier....there's some great genetics.

How about looking at a litany of college coaches who are young and dedicated to new concepts? Why do that? Well, didn't Bellicheat do that with McDaniels and Patricia? Oh wait...young guys don't have the experience and can't succeed because they don't have the experience. Bahahahaha. Here's one.

http://www.wkusports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121416aaa.html

This kid coached Deshone Kizer and has coached Stanford and Boise State...even played the position. He'll be the next big name in college football in three years.

Take your research elsewhere. It's easy to pick a big stock like Exxon or IBM (1% return on your investment)...but it takes skill to find a good stock, at a reasonable price, that pays a "huge" return.

I'm fine with bringing failed HCs in as Coordinators. Let them get back to what they were good at, while benefiting from their experience as a HC.

I'm NOT fine with bringing failed Coordinators in as Coordinators (Olson), or failed position coaches in as position coaches (David Lee).

Not just a failed HC though, his team outwardly spoke out against him. "We will play in spite of him" kind of talk. Was pretty bad at the time.

Agreed though on Olson. Fine with him being QB coach if he's good at it, but he's had more than enough shots at being an OC.

Id rather bring in some unknown "up and comer" than Olson.

Edited by PirateHookerMD

To be fair with regard to David Lee ... as the Bills' QB Coach, he's had Fitz, EJ and Tyrod.

He's not a miracle worker!

http://www.chiefs.com/team/coaches/brad-childress/04173ba8-f8ee-4edf-adef-43b0fd7f918d

32 years of coaching experience and this guy hasn't sniffed Superbowl success...complete mediocrity. Yet, posters such as yourself, believe just making it to the playoffs is success. That is only a step toward success. Color me unimpressed if this is our choice. Yes, he had a great season with Brett Favre...who wouldn't. Then he was fired.

The argument seems to be "Well Pete Carroll and Bill Bellicheat were coaches who failed and then had success so why should we not consider Childress? Why? Because I don't want to wait for another 32 years for him to succeed. His coaching tree includes Andy Reid, Pat Schurmer and Leslie Frazier....there's some great genetics.

How about looking at a litany of college coaches who are young and dedicated to new concepts? Why do that? Well, didn't Bellicheat do that with McDaniels and Patricia? Oh wait...young guys don't have the experience and can't succeed because they don't have the experience. Bahahahaha. Here's one.

This kid coached Deshone Kizer and has coached Stanford and Boise State...even played the position. He'll be the next big name in college football in three years.

Take your research elsewhere. It's easy to pick a big stock like Exxon or IBM (1% return on your investment)...but it takes skill to find a good stock, at a reasonable price, that pays a "huge" return.

Great, I loved my kids high school coach and he improved under him so why don't they hire him. He's an up and comer. First off, I think when looking at a coach's resume it's important to look at the material he had to work with. I didn't want Rex and I still wouldn't but I think a lot of fans think a head coach and coordinators can make Fitzpatrick into Brady. The question isn't only how good statistically an offense is under a coach but how good were the players he was coaching. You could hire the Patriots QB coach and find out he's not any better than the Bills QB coach. In Ryan's case he seemed to not get out of his talent what they were capable of. So he's gone. Also, I don't think th gold standard of coaching is whether you coached a Super Bowl team. In fact I personally think Marv Levey went from a highly questioned hire to a Hall of Fame coach because of the team that they assembled. Edited by Radar

I'm equally tired of the moral highground arguments which suggest it is immature to respond to someone who says an opinion is ridiculous. Read his first reponse to me and perhaps you'll understand why an individual might respond in kind. Hiring Childress and Olson is akin to hiring Dave Wannstache....recycled material.

My argument didn't take a moral high ground. I told you I thought your schtick was old, which is true. Make a point, don't try to act tough about it.

Edited by ndirish1978

Great, I loved my kids high school coach and he improved under him so why don't they hire him. He's an up and comer. First off, I think when looking at a coach's resume it's important to look at the material he had to work with. I didn't want Rex and I still wouldn't but I think a lot of fans think a head coach and coordinators can make Fitzpatrick into Brady. The question isn't only how good statistically an offense is under a coach but how good were the players he was coaching. You could hire the Patriots QB coach and find out he's not any better than the Bills QB coach. In Ryan's case he seemed to not get out of his talent what they were capable of. So he's gone. Also, I don't think th gold standard of coaching is whether you coached a Super Bowl team. In fact I personally think Marv Levey went from a highly questioned hire to a Hall of Fame coach because of the team that they assembled.

This is the kind of snarkiness that requires a rebuttal but, for the sake of those snowflakes who are tormented by strongly worded responses (see above), I'll refrain.

If you were looking for a dog and I suggested one who is 13 years old, has shown great enthusiasm for being a dog, dedication, and sleeps a lot...the only problem is every other owner of the dog sent him to the kennel because he ***** in your kitchen every morning at 6am when you are getting ready for work...do you want him? Do you want to pay him $2 million a year?

Nahhhh, I'll take the puppy and train him to work his ass off and he'll show improvement (Matt Patricia, Josh McDaniels)

My argument didn't take a moral high ground. I told you I thought your schtick was old, which is true. Make a point, don't try to act tough about it.

I gave you my data (or as you say...a point)...now respond with how a 60 year old ping pong ball who bounced from team to team is the best we can do.

I gave you my data (or as you say...a point)...now respond with how a 60 year old ping pong ball who bounced from team to team is the best we can do.

I'm not excited about either option we've been presented with. If it were up to me we'd have promoted Kromer.

Edited by ndirish1978

Great, find us the next Nate Hackett and let us know who he is.

Great, find us the next Nate Hackett and let us know who he is.

I already did (R.E.A.D) or any of the hundreds of other options out there other than the penny that finds its way into your lint-filled pocket seen as a commodity (aka Childress). Damn...do some research and find us an Offensive Coordinator who is energetic and wants to kick some ass. Don't settle for the "third option" after McCoy and ALynn...keep looking. The fact that we haven't announced Childress is scheduled to interview gives me hope.

This is the kind of snarkiness that requires a rebuttal but, for the sake of those snowflakes who are tormented by strongly worded responses (see above), I'll refrain.

If you were looking for a dog and I suggested one who is 13 years old, has shown great enthusiasm for being a dog, dedication, and sleeps a lot...the only problem is every other owner of the dog sent him to the kennel because he ***** in your kitchen every morning at 6am when you are getting ready for work...do you want him? Do you want to pay him $2 million a year?

Nahhhh, I'll take the puppy and train him to work his ass off and he'll show improvement (Matt Patricia

Sorry that you took it as being snarky. I'm just saying that going for new isn't necessarily any more certain. I will let the rest of my post remain as stated.JMO.

Texans just fired George Godsey-- 2 year coordinator; Offensive assistant and TE coach at NE; former Ga Tech QB....

So a team that was in the playoffs just fired their OC? Whoa...wow...hire him now.....amazing how entrenched we are as Bills fans to be comfortable with Brad Childress.

Sorry that you took it as being snarky. I'm just saying that going for new isn't necessarily any more certain. I will let the rest of my post remain as stated.JMO.

All good. Sorry if I came across as brass or childish.

I already did (R.E.A.D) or any of the hundreds of other options out there other than the penny that finds its way into your lint-filled pocket seen as a commodity (aka Childress). Damn...do some research and find us an Offensive Coordinator who is energetic and wants to kick some ass. Don't settle for the "third option" after McCoy and ALynn...keep looking. The fact that we haven't announced Childress is scheduled to interview gives me hope.

I usually don't read long emotional rants from men who call other people snowflakes but thought what the heck. Sorry, I don't see McDermott handing over his MOST IMPORTANT HIRE to a small time college coach. The NFL and college games are very different. The success rate of recent college coaches that stormed the NFL has been poor. Chip Kelly was the next Belichick and going to revolutionize the sport and he had a few nice years where his offenses did ok but nothing revolutionary. Soon after the bottom fell out and the fact is the NFL will figure out trick stuff pretty quickly.

I would be for nurturing top college talent and bringing them under NFL minds but what you are proposing is way too risky. The only college coaches that have done well in the NFL also have NFL backgrounds.

So a team that was in the playoffs just fired their OC? Whoa...wow...hire him now.....amazing how entrenched we are as Bills fans to be comfortable with Brad Childress.

Godsey is worth a look as OC, QB coach or TE Coach..still young -- 38 -- 4 years with the Pats before following O'Brien to the Texans...

I understand your point about old and middling and preferring up and coming. McDermott has what appears to be boundless energy and enthusiasm --experienced hands like Frazier and Childress can steer this into productivity by managing their parts of the staff well. There's also something to be said about McDermott being involved in everything and bringing his stamp into everything - an older coach may not like that. He is getting advice from Rivera and Reid, both head coaches who have been to the SB, on who to hire..there is no doubt. They both want him to succeed...yeah its a competitive world but you do not screw someone from your coaching tree -- you help them and encourage them.

Edited by JoeF

No problem. On board miscommunication is easy.