Pre-Snap Motions & Other Subtle Peeves of Rule Breaking

boyst

its not a personal attack by any means. and anyone that sensitive to matters on a football teams message board to not take a little bit of ribbing (on TSW) probably takes life too seriously anyway.

but, thanks for your input. i'd like to tell you i would consider this in the future when i make a response about something but i won't. maybe i'm not that kind of guy, i don't know. but, i also don't care.

tonight's packers game, the WR to RB, #88 has been moving all over the field and i just can't see how he's not toeing that edge every time he does it.

Yeah, my mistake. You started the thread & the other guy started calling you names. Maybe you know each other & were just having fun ?

Yeah, my mistake. You started the thread & the other guy started calling you names. Maybe you know each other & were just having fun ?

we butt heads from time to time. I don't think he takes it that seriously. I don't

Snowflake is not a name. Its a privilege. :thumbsup:

yea ive been noticing that too. They no longer call illegal motion like that, when guys move forward before the snap.

They just say he has to "set"

The one that bothers me is when smoeone on the defense jumps offsides and the o-line just stands up and points... you KNOW the snap count! he doesn't! Snap the ball with him in the neutral zone and get the free play, or call it a false start. It's so annoying.

Edited by dneveu

Maybe I am too much of a purist but I cannot stand how much pre-snap movement is allowed. I am watching the NE* Patriots cheat over Houston and every snap the WR's are moving their head, their arms wiggling or just rocking. The OL on all teams turn around, reset their feet, get their balance shifted all sorts of nonsense. It seems like an advantage for most teams and is ignored as much as the WR/TE push off that Gronkowski has made famous, OL's being 5 yards off the LOS, etc.

I know most of us only played High School ball, if at all. Any of my coaches would beat the hell out of us if we flinched, moved any of it.

Does this bother anyone else? What else might grind your gears?

I HATE IT when DB's defend a receiver and fail to turn around at the ball, drawing a PI penalty. Penn State DB's did this twice against USC. It's so basic.

I also have issues with the pile being moved by olineman (other players) when the rb or wr forward progress has stopped

Rugby time! Yeah, that seems annoying. It's gotta be terrible to be the ball carrier being pushed back and forth. I'm surprised how long they let it go one for.

They just say he has to "set"

The one that bothers me is when smoeone on the defense jumps offsides and the o-line just stands up and points... you KNOW the snap count! he doesn't! Snap the ball with him in the neutral zone and get the free play, or call it a false start. It's so annoying.

I didn't even think of this one.

I also am reminded of when an offensive player false starts and hits the defender. I'd like to see a defender pop one of them or swipe the ball from the center. I actually tried that once, caused a fumble but the LG got it. I ripped the OC's forearm about off. They got me though, good kick to the ribs...

Well coached teams can use lots of motion, which can make the officials less sensitive to all the movements going on, and less certain about there being an infraction. Crap teams with guys that aren't smart, or haven't mastered the offense, are stuck with a less complex approach.

Guess which kind of team the Bills are?

And the Patriots?

My Pet Peeve is when a receiver is coming back to catch a football - he catches the ball and runs backwards for 5 or more yards - then the refs give him forward progress to where he first caught the ball.

Sorry, that isn't forward progress when the receiver is willingly running back towards the QB in order to create separation. He should be considered down where he gets tackled. It should only be forward progress if the receiver is actually progressing and then stopped by a defender.

My Pet Peeve is when a receiver is coming back to catch a football - he catches the ball and runs backwards for 5 or more yards - then the refs give him forward progress to where he first caught the ball.

Sorry, that isn't forward progress when the receiver is willingly running back towards the QB in order to create separation. He should be considered down where he gets tackled. It should only be forward progress if the receiver is actually progressing and then stopped by a defender.

If he is getting tackled then it's where he caught the ball, not sure how that wouldn't be considered forward progress since he is being tackled by a player

If he is getting tackled then it's where he caught the ball, not sure how that wouldn't be considered forward progress since he is being tackled by a player

I think what he is saying is a WR catches the ball, is not tackled, but runs back trying to find a better hole for forward progress and is then tackled a few yards back from where he first caught the ball.

Edited by simpleman