2017 starting QB? Back-ups?

Czaper

So when you factor is salary, cap implications who will be on the roster next year, who will start? I don't think Taylor is as bad as some have posted on here, probably one of the best in the last 17 years so.... the question is... Is he worth the salary?

Could they work with TT to mortify his contract? I don't think he would be interested with other Teams (Denver) interested in his services. If they do release him (for cap reasons). Who are we looking at? Still hard to tell not knowing the OC. So I think most would agree Manuel is gone and Jones is on the roster. So we'll have at least one, two if TT is gone on the 2017 roster.

The free agent list has a few interesting names. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/

There have been a few posts on Cousins vs. Taylor. Would the cap hit be any different? I've also hear (on here) about Glennon and Orlovsky. Thoughts? Of course another option is the draft. Is there anyone that can step right in? Would we want a rookie and Jones on the roster? What about a trade? If someone is willing to trade a starter, doubtful and if so I would be concerned.

Taking everything into consideration my predictions are...

Glennon - starter

Mallett -

Jones

So when you factor is salary, cap implications who will be on the roster next year, who will start? I don't think Taylor is as bad as some have posted on here, probably one of the best in the last 17 years so.... the question is... Is he worth the salary?

Could they work with TT to mortify his contract? I don't think he would be interested with other Teams (Denver) interested in his services. If they do release him (for cap reasons). Who are we looking at? Still hard to tell not knowing the OC. So I think most would agree Manuel is gone and Jones is on the roster. So we'll have at least one, two if TT is gone on the 2017 roster.

The free agent list has a few interesting names. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/

There have been a few posts on Cousins vs. Taylor. Would the cap hit be any different? I've also hear (on here) about Glennon and Orlovsky. Thoughts? Of course another option is the draft. Is there anyone that can step right in? Would we want a rookie and Jones on the roster? What about a trade? If someone is willing to trade a starter, doubtful and if so I would be concerned.

Glennon - starter

Mallett -

Jones

So the Bills are going with Glennon and Mallett as their #1 and #2 QBs? I seriously doubt that.

Glennon - starter

Mallett -

Jones

Top 2 are horrible choices...sorry but I hope not and doubt those 2 are on the roster. Mallet? really?

Glennon - starter

Mallett -

Jones

There is a 0.0% chance of this happening. If they look to someone like Glennon they will be drafting a guy early. BTW, why are we going after Glennon in the $13M range (that's what they are talking) when we can just keep Tyrod?

Is it possible we are planning to simply eliminate the QB from the field?

Would free us up to use an additional player at another position.

Of course the D may not bother covering our WRs once they catch on that there is no one to throw the ball to them.

Taylor's never cared about $. Still building his rep. Will renegotiate and, as always, will beat out any competition and start.

I might renegotiate but wouldn't take a pay cut if I were him. He will certainly get $15M a year on the open market and there is no reason to take less than 2 years guaranteed.

I would guess if they pick an OC from the Chiefs, then they would sign Nick Foles as a free agent and have a battle between him, Jones and a QB drafted between the 2nd-4th round.

Foles would probably start with Jones eventually taking over at some point during the season.

Edited by 1billsfan

So the Bills are going with Glennon and Mallett as their #1 and #2 QBs? I seriously doubt that.

God I hope not. :sick:

I might renegotiate but wouldn't take a pay cut if I were him. He will certainly get $15M a year on the open market and there is no reason to take less than 2 years guaranteed.

Thats right. Theres enough QB starved teams out there to pay him. Hope we keep him and draft a QB.

Agree. Just a matter of how much loyalty he has left towards this ownership and fanbase. They and we are the ones that gave him his dream shot - to start in the NFL and lead his own NFL team as a QB.

At some point he needs to start thinking of it as just business, but he has always enjoyed proving his critics wrong. Will be interesting to watch what happens in the next month or so.

Edited by moshermw

I would guess if they pick an OC from the Chiefs, then they would sign Nick Foles as a free agent and have a battle between him, Jones and a QB drafted between the 2nd-4th round.

Foles would probably start with Jones eventually taking over at some point during the season.

You really think Cardale can beat out Foles next season? He might need some more time to develop his mechanics. Got the intangibles just needs to be developed.

This is my dream scenario. (Yes, at my age and after 17 years of futility my dreams could be described as "modest." Or perhaps "achievable" is a better word?) Foles ran the Andy Reid offense without any dropoff from Alex Smith. That offense depends on some explosive offensive talents ... kind of like what we have? And a Foles-run Chip Kelly offense certainly got the most out of LeSean McCoy. The only part I disagree with is the Jones taking over at some point during the season. Foles and a somewhat (see the realism here?) improved defense = serious playoff contender. In fact, maybe I'll go so far as to see "clearly better than the Dolphins (even more, and in this case more depressing, realism). Just get it done!

This is my dream scenario. (Yes, at my age and after 17 years of futility my dreams could be described as "modest." Or perhaps "achievable" is a better word?) Foles ran the Andy Reid offense without any dropoff from Alex Smith. That offense depends on some explosive offensive talents ... kind of like what we have? And a Foles-run Chip Kelly offense certainly got the most out of LeSean McCoy. The only part I disagree with is the Jones taking over at some point during the season. Foles and a somewhat (see the realism here?) improved defense = serious playoff contender. In fact, maybe I'll go so far as to see "clearly better than the Dolphins (even more, and in this case more depressing, realism). Just get it done!

I get a fearlessness vibe from Cardale Jones. I think one of the biggest hurdles for QBs in the NFL is just getting over the fear. Being comfortable. The successful ones play with a fearlessness, and the average to bad QBs look like they play scared a lot of the time. There are exceptions like Fitz, but generally you need to get over the fear of playing if you are ever to become a top 10, franchise type of QB.

I think that if Jones put in the time and effort (I believe the new coach will see to that), then I think he has a very good chance to overtake an average QB like Foles. I know there's nothing substantial to point to, to back up what I'm saying, it's simply just the vibe I get.

Orlovsky?? Mallett?

Jeez, wouldn't Curtis Painter be cheaper?

Holy cow with those choices. I'm sure no GM in the NFL has ever thought of that combo.

With those choices, Lil Doug has an excuse to bring EJ back. There's something to be said for continuity.