McDermott in regards to Tyrod

We win 10-11 games this year with any decent defense and TT playing exactly as he did.

I don't dispute that the D was horrible this year, but man it would be nice to have a QB I had any confidence in when the pass was the only option and the Bills needed a game winning drive.

That being said, I'm all for keeping TT unless they can work a deal for a better option...and there aren't many. TT is a severely limited passer but he's likely the best option the Bills have and he's not that expensive.

If the Bills keep TT I hope to hell they use a pick in the first 2-3 rounds on another QB to groom the next few years. This stop gap QBing has to end at some point.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't dispute that the D was horrible this year, but man it would be nice to have a QB I had any confidence in when the pass was the only option and the Bills needed a game winning drive.

That being said, I'm all for keeping TT unless they can work a deal for a better option...and there aren't many. TT is a severely limited passer but he's likely the best option the Bills have and he's not that expensive.

If the Bills keep TT I hope to hell they use a pick in the first 2-3 rounds on another QB to groom the next few years. This stop gap QBing has to end at some point.

I agree with this as a QB that relies on his legs so much has a shorter shelf life than a traditional QB...

Good post.

They didn't take Russel Wilson because Nix and Whaley don't like smaller QBs. Not that they have a clue how to Identify QBs anyway...

It was rumored that Nix was waiting for the fourth round to take either Wilson or Cousins. When asked about which qb he was eyeing for his fourth round selection he wouldn't say. I always thought that it was Cousins because Nix always favored bigger over smaller players. His size profile prejudice was probably the reason why EJ was taken in the first round when he was determined to come away with a qb in that draft. That high selection even surprised EJ's college coach. It goes back to the issue that you referred to: this organization's ability to scout qbs. These type of wrecking ball draft selections also demonstrate that what is keeping this woebegone franchise down is its own ineptitude.

Common denominator with those teams, good QB, save Dilfer but that Ravens defense was historic and any QB would have won that year on that team. Elway, Roethlisberger, Manning, Rodgers. A level Tyrod could never reach.

Roethlisberger is always paired with a great defense when his team's make a run. Manning with Denver last year was just awful.

And Elway leaned on a 2000 yard rusher - and also had a very good defense. I mean jeeze, he threw for 123 yards and a pick in the 97 super bowl! The next year they pretty much destroyed the whole league with that defense and davis. Not to mention having a HOF TE, Rod Smith, and McCaffrey.

Edited by dneveu

It was rumored that Nix was waiting for the fourth round to take either Wilson or Cousins. When asked about which qb he was eyeing for his fourth round selection he wouldn't say. I always thought that it was Cousins because Nix always favored bigger over smaller players. His size profile prejudice was probably the reason why EJ was taken in the first round when he was determined to come away with a qb in that draft. That high selection even surprised EJ's college coach. It goes back to the issue that you referred to: this organization's ability to scout qbs. These type of wrecking ball draft selections also demonstrate that what is keeping this woebegone franchise down is its own ineptitude.

Well wait a moment. You can't criticize them for trying - your whole point is that they should be taking more chances at the position.

$16M/year is far from inexpensive.

Roethlisberger is always paired with a great defense when his team's make a run. Manning with Denver last year was just awful.

And Elway leaned on a 2000 yard rusher - and also had a very good defense. I mean jeeze, he threw for 123 yards and a pick in the 97 super bowl! The next year they pretty much destroyed the whole league with that defense and davis. Not to mention having a HOF TE, Rod Smith, and McCaffrey.

When Polamalu was in his prime, he was amazing. He could and would take over a game on his own. I cant remember how many times he would get an interception or force a fumble as the other team was about to take the lead late in the game. I was at the infamous Stevie drop. But before that, with a couple of minutes left, Buffalo was driving and looked like they were about to take the lead with a TD. They got within 15 yards of the goal line when Troy made the pick. I think I counted about 6 wins that Pittsburgh got that year because of Polamalu. You need one or two of those types of players that can take over a game, and it doesn't have to be the QB. Unfortunately, the Bills don't have one. I was hoping that Sammy could be that guy. But when he stepped out of bounds without having a first down, in overtime, in a must win game, I am thinking now that he will not be that guy.

$16M/year is far from inexpensive.

Let's look at QB spending for Playoff Teams vs. Buffalo in 2016 and 2017.

Team 2016 QB Spending 2017 QB Spending

Green Bay Packers $19,910,318 $21,510,908

Atlanta Falcons $25,500,000 $23,750,000

Seattle Seahawks $18,997,000 $19,345,000

Dallas Cowboys $23,380,848 $25,335,848

Detroit Lions $23,338,820 $22,540,000

New York Giants $25,588,400 $19,700,000

New England Patriots $15,245,534 $15,883,702

Pittsburgh Steelers $25,334,805 $18,890,000

Kansas City Chiefs $20,170, 000 $28,875,500

Oakland Raiders $4,623,009 $2,404,182 <---- Carr on Rookie Deal

Miami Dolphins $13,174,117 $22,450,000

Houston Texans $14,412,646 $21,915,146

Buffalo Bills $10,292,562 $16,549,182

It looks to me like we have between $2M and $8M to spend on a vet and we'd still be within the normal amount of cap allocated to the QB position.

When Polamalu was in his prime, he was amazing. He could and would take over a game on his own. I cant remember how many times he would get an interception or force a fumble as the other team was about to take the lead late in the game. I was at the infamous Stevie drop. But before that, with a couple of minutes left, Buffalo was driving and looked like they were about to take the lead with a TD. They got within 15 yards of the goal line when Troy made the pick. I think I counted about 6 wins that Pittsburgh got that year because of Polamalu. You need one or two of those types of players that can take over a game, and it doesn't have to be the QB. Unfortunately, the Bills don't have one. I was hoping that Sammy could be that guy. But when he stepped out of bounds without having a first down, in overtime, in a must win game, I am thinking now that he will not be that guy.

berry is like that for kc. always getting a key pick to put them in a position. just a knack for a timely play.

Well wait a moment. You can't criticize them for trying - your whole point is that they should be taking more chances at the position.

Selecting EJ in the first round was simply stupid. Even his coach from college was surprised and amused by his selection in the first round. Trying more doesn't mean that it would be smart to draft Jim Kelly's nephew with a high round pick. Being stupid is not being smart!

Selecting EJ in the first round was simply stupid. Even his coach from college was surprised and amused by his selection in the first round. Trying more doesn't mean that it would be smart to draft Jim Kelly's nephew with a high round pick. Being stupid is not being smart!

I disagree. As your other post made clear, you're much better off overdrafting at the QB position than underdrafting. A round too early is better than a round too late.

I disagree. As your other post made clear, you're much better off overdrafting at the QB position than underdrafting. A round too early is better than a round too late.

The problem with the EJ selection was that he was drafted three rounds too high or maybe two rounds to be kind. Big difference. That was a wasted pick and a foolish pick.

Edited by JohnC

EJ would've been taken in the second round at the latest.

If another team would have taken him in the second round it would have been their mistake instead of ours. The end result would have been the same i.e. a wasted pick on a player who wasn't good enough!

If another team would have taken him in the second round it would have been their mistake instead of ours. The end result would have been the same i.e. a wasted pick on a player who wasn't good enough!

It happens.

It does.

The problem Whaley and company made was they put all their chips in that basket. They neglected the position the next two years because they had EJ. Dumb.

We went over this but few teams draft QB's high every year and even fewer draft a QB in the 1st round in back to back years.

We went over this but few teams draft QB's high every year and even fewer draft a QB in the 1st round in back to back years.

Few teams are good. We should probably try something new rather than emulate the Jags and Browns model of not taking QB's.

Few teams are good. We should probably try something new rather than emulate the Jags and Browns model of not taking QB's.

Not taking QB's? You mean like EJ in 2013 and Cardale last draft? Or should we use every 1st rounder on a QB until one hits?