Best & Worst of the 77th annual Oscars

Mark Vader

The Oscars are over and here is my take, if any of you care or watched:

The Best:

Jamie Foxx: I loved his speech, especially what he said about his grandmother.

Hillary Swank: Very genuine speech, glad she did not let the orchestra kick her off the stage early.

Morgan Freeman: He was very subtle and humble in his short speech.

Albert S.Ruddy: Loved his comment on getting a piece of Lemon Pie with real filling and going to heaven.

Clint Eastwood: For acknowledging his mom, and thanking her for her genes.

Sidney Lumet: I liked that he thanked "the movies" for his success. What better thing is there to thank for his work?

Beyonce Knowles: 3 great performances. 3 stunning outfits.

Jeremy Irons: When there was a noise on stage, Irons' line of "I hoped they missed", was by far the funniest line of the night.

Johnny Carson tribute: It was great to see the old clips of Johnny as host. Someone who was clever, funny & classy. Chris Rock, take notes.

Chris Rock's venture to the Magic theatres was a very funny skit.

Bringing the nominees on stage during the reading of the categories was a nice touch.

The Worst:

Chris Rock: Someone should have reminded him that he was not in a night club. He made me laugh a couple times, but overall he was not that funny. Call me a prude, but I was unimpressed when he started off the show by shouting "Sit your asses down!"

I did not like them presenting awards to people in the audience. Let these people have their moment on the stage.

They showed no clips of the Best Picture nominations. Why?

Other moments:

This is the first time I can recall when all 5 Best Picture nominees won at least 1 award. How often has that happened?

Best Dressed: All the guys look the same to me, but Jamie Foxx, Clint Eastwood, & Alan Alda looked great.

Natalie Portman & Cate Blanchett looked great. Hillary Swank, Kate Winslet, & Virginia Madsen looked stunning in different shades of blue.

Thats all I have. Please Oscars, get a new host.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all subjective, isn't it? I thought Chris Rock was a fine host. Notice when he trashed actors, he turned it right around on himself. He's a funny man. They knew what they were getting.

The thing I didn't like that much was the segment from the movie theatre, which basically showed that black people and white people are different. Who knew?

I wish Robin Williams and Whoopie Goldberg would crawl into one of those cardboard boxes from Homeless Relief and stay there. I can't believe he did a Nicholson impression.

I'm glad I have Tivo so I could blow through most of the BS.

One day Martin Scorcese will win the best director award. He doesn't need one, it would be nice for them to give him one. Johnny Depp will win an award one day. he's great.

I didn't get Sean Penn's defense of Jude Law. Why single out Jude Law among Rock's targets? Rock targeted himself.

I'm beginning to wonder if the Academy is purposely snubbing Scorcese as a way of putting him in the Hitchcock/Kubrick sort of category of The Greats That Never Won..

I mean, even if he had won tonight, it still wouldn't completely make up for the tragedy that is the snub of Raging Bull .

Johnny Carson tribute: It was great to see the old clips of Johnny as host. Someone who was clever, funny & classy. Chris Rock, take notes.

Chris Rock's venture to the Magic theatres was a very funny skit.

255202[/snapback]

Watched it for about 45 minutes and then turned it off. Even back in the SNL days, I didn't think Rock was very good. He relies way too much on the delivery than actually having good LOL material. That is where Carson will continue to outshine all of these imposters until they get their heads out of their butts.

They should try Seinfeld next year if he'll do it. I think he's aged a bit from his sitcom stuff.

BTW, that skit was pretty lame. Just shows that the average person doesn't watch the BIG Hollywood movies that the people in tuxes are patting themselves on the back over.

Q: Are you all women or something?

I mean, what self-respecting man sits down in front of the tube and watches as Hollywood congratulates itself?

255245[/snapback]

I don't watch the Oscars. I did see that Million Dollar Baby won a lot of awards though, and I'm curious to see if it's any good. Not curious enough to pay without viewing it first (hence the waiting until it's on the premium channels), but curious nonetheless.

I don't watch the Oscars.  I did see that Million Dollar Baby won a lot of awards though, and I'm curious to see if it's any good.  Not curious enough to pay without viewing it first (hence the waiting until it's on the premium channels), but curious nonetheless.

255248[/snapback]

I saw it... I thought it was great! (I'm talking about the movie... not the oscars!)

Chris Rock: Someone should have reminded him that he was not in a night club. He made me laugh a couple times, but overall he was not that funny. Call me a prude, but I was unimpressed when he started off the show by shouting "Sit your asses down!"

255202[/snapback]

you're a prude. :o

i flipped back and forth all night so caught a bunch of his jokes. when he introduced tim robbins saying, "here is an outstanding actor who is probably gonna bore us with all his boring political views" (or something to that affect), i laughed my butt off. so did everyone else.

also in his opening, when he did his take on hollywood rushing to make movies and not waiting for the stars they need to make quality films, that was hilarious. that guy will crack a joke about someone with them staring him right in the face!

The best thing Rock did was to acknowledge two films that were big box office winners and were on alot of the ten best lists...Farhenheit 9/11 and the Passion of the Christ.

Neither film won an Oscar and quite frankly, the Passion of the Christ deserved a Best picture nod over Finding Neverland and Ray...Mel Gibson should have gotten a Best Director nod.

What exactly did Penn say about Jude Law? I missed that part. Only saw Rock make the random comment that he didn't want Penn to be his accountant or something.

Rock hit some funny lines, but I wasn't that impressed with his monologue. It was a little too much playing to the crowd in the theater outside of his awkward swipes at some of the actors.

What exactly did Penn say about Jude Law? I missed that part. Only saw Rock make the random comment that he didn't want Penn to be his accountant or something.

Rock hit some funny lines, but I wasn't that impressed with his monologue. It was a little too much playing to the crowd in the theater outside of his awkward swipes at some of the actors.

255538[/snapback]

Rock made a joke about Jude Law since he has been in so many movies recently.

A little later, Rock brought out two big African-American guys who he said where his accountants, the kind that break legs when you are late paying off debts.

Penn then took offense at Rock's comments about Law.

Rock responded, my accountants want to talk to you.

Given that Rock was making fun of himself as well as other actors, Penn was really off base there.