What we can expect from the defense...

PaattMaann

Here is a well written primer from about 5 years ago, leading up to McDermott's second year on the job as DC of the Panthers...goes into detail of terminology and ideas within the system. With the addition of Frazier as the DC for us next year, someone who is very experienced running this style of defense, I fully expect this to be our base. After watching Rex's lazy defense for two years, this should be refreshing!

" Defense that thrives on overwhelming the opponent with zone blitzes, creating mismatches among the offensive line and the front seven."

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2012/2/28/2831884/the-panthers-defense-a-treatise-on-the-jim-johnson-4-3-part-i

Some questions: who plays the 7 technique / c gap strong side? Needs to be a run stuffing defensive end more so than anything...do we have one on the roster? It has been hinted in the media that Washington could get kicked out to that role, but is that really a role suited for him? He did not shine this year to say the least. Can Lawson fill the roll with jerry playing the 9 tech opposite to provide pressure and hold the edge weak side?

Linebackers seem to be an entirely different issue...I'd imagine we add a free agent or two....interesting stuff

Edited by PaattMaann

Nice find.

They say McDermott does a nice job adapting to the talent on the roster.

It'll be interesting to see how he implements these ideas with our players.

Right. Considering our CBs strong suits are man vs zone. Considering our Safetys strong suits dont exist besides Corey Graham doin his best. Gonna need a lot of work at Secondary this off-season anyway you look at it.

Right. Considering our CBs strong suits are man vs zone. Considering our Safetys strong suits dont exist besides Corey Graham doin his best. Gonna need a lot of work at Secondary this off-season anyway you look at it.

The beauty of this defense is you do not need great CBs, you need CBs who are comfortable in zone coverage. Jim Johnsons/McDermott's CBs have had a knack of playing "above their skill", meaning they get the best out of average CBs. There is a market in FA this season for average CBs so I could see us letting Gilmore walk and picking up some FA CBs to run the zone coverages.

Im actually not worried about CBs at all.

Safeties we will need to address, luckily theres a great FA market for safeties as well as at #10 possibly with Adams/Hooker (might both be gone though, but the safety draft class is deep). FA and draft most likely to address this.

LBs, maybe add Klein from Carolina. Maybe resign Zach Brown. Going to add some LB.

Will be interesting to see if he gets Dareus to buy in and not become a malcontent about potentially having to drop into coverage periodically in a zone blitz heavy scheme

It's fairly rare to have the nose tackle drop into coverage. It'd more likely be the ends in lawson/Hughes.

This. The article has a nice illustration of a zone blitz concept, and shows what would be Lawson/Hughes most likely dropping into the middle of the zone coverage to replace the blitzing mike...we have the DE in that technique nailed down, its the run stuffing DE I worry about having to find/develop (Can Worthy do it? Can Washington? That would be best case scenario)

This. The article has a nice illustration of a zone blitz concept, and shows what would be Lawson/Hughes most likely dropping into the middle of the zone coverage to replace the blitzing mike...we have the DE in that technique nailed down, its the run stuffing DE I worry about having to find/develop (Can Worthy do it? Can Washington? That would be best case scenario)

I think lawson would fit on the strong side edge while youd line up Hughes on the blindside. Dareus over center/guard. and KW/dolph/Worthy on the other side.

The backers are the tricky part. Mike's gotta be moving here so i dunno if Ragland can play taht way, or if theyd prefer PB there. That would likely plug ragland in at the bart scott SAM spot. We dont really have a will on the roster.

I do like the idea of Ragland at Mike only because he's got some thump to him, and doesn't mind blitzing.

Edited by dneveu

I think lawson would fit on the strong side edge while youd line up Hughes on the blindside. Dareus over center/guard. and KW/dolph/Worthy on the other side.

The backers are the tricky part. Mike's gotta be moving here so i dunno if Ragland can play taht way, or if theyd prefer PB there. That would likely plug ragland in at the bart scott SAM spot. We dont really have a will on the roster.

I do like the idea of Ragland at Mike only because he's got some thump to him, and doesn't mind blitzing.

Can Lawson take on a double team in the run game? I havent seen that from his game and that would worry me strongly...one thing about this D, and mentioned in the article, is the front 7 dont all do their jobs it can be gashed in the run game

Ragland showed good blitzing ability at Alabama

The beauty of this defense is you do not need great CBs, you need CBs who are comfortable in zone coverage. Jim Johnsons/McDermott's CBs have had a knack of playing "above their skill", meaning they get the best out of average CBs. There is a market in FA this season for average CBs so I could see us letting Gilmore walk and picking up some FA CBs to run the zone coverages.

Im actually not worried about CBs at all.

Safeties we will need to address, luckily theres a great FA market for safeties as well as at #10 possibly with Adams/Hooker (might both be gone though, but the safety draft class is deep). FA and draft most likely to address this.

LBs, maybe add Klein from Carolina. Maybe resign Zach Brown. Going to add some LB.

Word! I think Zach Brown wants to come back. Someone posted something he said supporting the McDermott hire.

lots of sacks and lots of turnovers in his defese. led league in forced fumbles and 6th in rec fumbles and 2nd in league with sacks at 47. 2nd in league in picks. our differential was ok last year at plus 6 but with this defense and ball control offense it could be real good next year. it's one big reason kc wins.

I expect to lead the NFL in defense next year. Esp. if we bring back Gillmore and pickup a safety (unless A. Williams returns, then I'd focus on LB and another DE).

Bills D-Line will be much better. Lots of questions at linebacker and DB's. Kyle Williams, Aaron Williams, and Gilmore could be gone.

Can Lawson take on a double team in the run game? I havent seen that from his game and that would worry me strongly...one thing about this D, and mentioned in the article, is the front 7 dont all do their jobs it can be gashed in the run game

Ragland showed good blitzing ability at Alabama

I don't know if he needs to double. The Sam plays pretty close to the line in a 4-3 under, close to the 9 tech. Lawson was really good at sealing the run at Bama.

I worry about the LB a bit, but we will be playing a lot of nickel.

Chris Trapasso at Buffalo Rumblings posted a great article about how players might fit.

Here is a well written primer from about 5 years ago, leading up to McDermott's second year on the job as DC of the Panthers...goes into detail of terminology and ideas within the system. With the addition of Frazier as the DC for us next year, someone who is very experienced running this style of defense, I fully expect this to be our base. After watching Rex's lazy defense for two years, this should be refreshing!

" Defense that thrives on overwhelming the opponent with zone blitzes, creating mismatches among the offensive line and the front seven."

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2012/2/28/2831884/the-panthers-defense-a-treatise-on-the-jim-johnson-4-3-part-i

Some questions: who plays the 7 technique / c gap strong side? Needs to be a run stuffing defensive end more so than anything...do we have one on the roster? It has been hinted in the media that Washington could get kicked out to that role, but is that really a role suited for him? He did not shine this year to say the least. Can Lawson fill the roll with jerry playing the 9 tech opposite to provide pressure and hold the edge weak side?

Linebackers seem to be an entirely different issue...I'd imagine we add a free agent or two....interesting stuff

Shaq Lawson is plenty big to fit that role...he fits that much better than a 3-4 OLB