Can the Bills exercise Taylor's option and trade him?

BuffaloBill

Again, only get comp picks for FA losses.FA being guys who's contracts have run out. Tyrod would be cut , no comp pick..... or traded. No comp pick.

In other words ,no comp pick either way.

This was the only downside to the extension last summer.

Incorrect. You dont pick up a team option he Does count in the compensatory see Revis and others from NE

So he will net you a 3rd

If you trade before the option kicks in on the 11th, no hit to salary cap( there may be some minor stuff from last year)...new team would pay the option money.

Small window to get this done , between 4.00pm on the 9th and i believe noon on ht 11th, but that could be 11:59 PM on the 10th.

Just to clear this up once and for all.

Tyrods Contract Structure

• 2017 Option: $15.5M Option Bonus & $12M base salary & $3.25M of his 2018 salary fully guarantee on 3/11/2017

So, this Bills option

1) Cut Tyrod Prior to the 11th. No hit to the Bills cap, no comp picks if Tyrod signs elsewhere.

2) Bills trade Tyrod between the 9th and 11th. New team picks up all payments, Bills zero impact on cap. No comp picks.

3) Bills trade Tyrod after March 11. Bills on hook for the $15.5M bonus, new team pays guaranteed salary. Bills get hit with $15.5M cap hit. No Comp picks

Only thing that is not clear to me is if the injury thing comes into play. As i understand it, there is Injury Offsets if the contract, but I am not clear how that impacts the cap if the Bills reach an Injury Setllemnet with Tyrod , he signs elsewhere, and the Offset gets kicked in. Beyond my comprehension of the CBA.

Contrast that with the decision Bills would have faced without the extension.

1) Tag Tyrod for $20M for 2017

2) Work out a long-term deal prior to July 15th deadline

3) Let him walk...get comp pick .

Wrong

NE Declines Revis Option

NE gets a 3rd round pick compensatory for Revis

https://www.google.com/amp/nesn.com/2016/03/patriots-awarded-four-compensatory-draft-picks-giving-team-10-total/amp/?client=safari

It is a loophole. You are not cutting TT you just are not turning on a contract and hense it expires like everyone else

Edited by MAJBobby

Incorrect. You dont pick up a team option he Does count in the compensatory see Revis and others from NE

So he will net you a 3rd

Wrong

NE Declines Revis Option

https://www.google.com/amp/nesn.com/2016/03/patriots-awarded-four-compensatory-draft-picks-giving-team-10-total/amp/?client=safari

It is a loophole. You are not cutting TT you just are not turning on a contract and hense it expires like everyone else

That's interesting...i need to look into that more. This is like the Guhle thing...not even cap experts could figure it out and changed views 100 times

This debate seems so wrong.

So the premise is that TT has value to trade but no value to the Bills to stay and be QB or back up QB.

Removal of TT then means that we are now so desperate that the cost of

trading for a QB or moving up in the draft just went up. The last time that occurred we over paid for a wide receiver who cannot stay on the field.

Why cannot TT be resigned to another 1 year or 2 year deal before March. He is better and more proven than any back up in the league. He has been poorly coached. and he is past the dreaded 2 yr period for starters. He is a major step up on guys like Fitz.

So the premise is that TT has value to trade but no value to the Bills to stay and be QB or back up QB.

trading for a QB or moving up in the draft just went up. The last time that occurred we over paid for a wide receiver who cannot stay on the field.

Why cannot TT be resigned to another 1 year or 2 year deal before March. He is better and more proven than any back up in the league. He has been poorly coached. and he is past the dreaded 2 yr period for starters. He is a major step up on guys like Fitz.

Why would he re-sign anything before the option is not picked up or picked up.

Maybe once his agent sees that there is or is not a market and what that market is during the Tamperingbine (i mean Combine) then maybe he says wow my best shot is to renegotiate here

So he will net you a 3rd

Wrong

NE Declines Revis Option

Maj this is from OvertheCap:

"In 2017 the Bills can exercise a $15.5 million option on Taylor. If the Bills decline the option and fail to release Taylor, Taylor’s 2017 salary wil escalate to a fully guaranteed $27.5 million. If the Bills pick up the option an additional $27.5 million in fully guaranteed salary can be earned in 2017 and 2018. Taylor can also earn additional incentives for performance"

It sounds as though Tyrod's contract may be structured a bit differently than Revis, should they fail to release Taylor but not exercise the option, they owe him $27.5M?

He might be re-signed to a different contract, but I doubt it happens before his agent explores interest in the "legal tampering" period. Though come to think of it, that's a question - Tyrod is not a FA, he is signed to the team albeit with an option the Bills may or may not exercise, can his agent hold discussions?

Maj this is from OvertheCap:

"In 2017 the Bills can exercise a $15.5 million option on Taylor. If the Bills decline the option and fail to release Taylor, Taylors 2017 salary wil escalate to a fully guaranteed $27.5 million. If the Bills pick up the option an additional $27.5 million in fully guaranteed salary can be earned in 2017 and 2018. Taylor can also earn additional incentives for performance"

It sounds as though Tyrod's contract may be structured a bit differently than Revis, should they fail to release Taylor but not exercise the option, they owe him $27.5M?

It is exactly the same. There are more examples of this thay just revis.

Now the only possible hangup and i cant find anything one way or another is that the option has the delay of three days past the new league year and if because if that delay he would not fall into the compensatory formula or not.

However i still think he does. I will reach out to my friend that would know. Disclaimer though still might not get an answer because he may say i need to see the full contract.

Now the only possible hangup and i cant find anything one way or another is that the option has the delay of three days past the new league year and if because if that delay he would not fall into the compensatory formula or not.

However i still think he does. I will reach out to my friend that would know. Disclaimer though still might not get an answer because he may say i need to see the full contract.

Fair enough, Thanks!

Fair enough, Thanks!

He got back to me like i thought "I would need to see full contract, However i suspect he would get put in the compensatory formula because his contract techically just expired, like any other UFA it is a loophole and think the NFL will close it soon"

Bills and Tyrod contract situation made its way into The Economist's Game Theory blog. Nothing we haven't heard before, but looked at from a business publication perspective.

This year, the Bills have been in the news more than usual for a team whose 2016 campaign is already over—but for all the wrong reasons. In the season’s final week, they caused a minor stir by benching their quarterback, Tyrod Taylor, with the presumable intention of preventing him from exercising a valuable policy in his contract in the event he suffered an injury. Now it appears that Mr Taylor may have the last laugh: on January 5th, he underwent surgery that may enable him to trigger the clause anyway.

Again, only get comp picks for FA losses.FA being guys who's contracts have run out. Tyrod would be cut , no comp pick..... or traded. No comp pick.

In other words ,no comp pick either way.

This was the only downside to the extension last summer.

Typically this would be a one year contract with an option. If the option expires without being picked up, then it's simply a one year contract that ended. A comp pick is in play. However, if the contract is worded so that he must be cut or the option automatically kicks in, then that's a different story. He'd need to be cut and the Bills would not get a comp pick. But that'd be very unusual. Edited by BarleyNY