pegula equal daniel snyder?

nuklz2594

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Stupid post. Pegula has owned the Bills for what, 2 years? Seriously?

I mean, if you think he's incredibly rich and meddlesome in decisions then what's the time limit before you are allowed to make comments reflecting that? It's a sports message board not like the OP is writing the final word on the guy and things can't change

how long will it take pegula to realize he is in over his head? dan snyder...redskins owner...still doesn't get it..imo.

Aside from the fact that they both have boatloads of money they couldn't be more different.

He & Kim made a mistake in hiring Rex, or at least that's what we're led to believe (and i do believe that they took the lead in the hiring). Aside from that what do you point to? Maybe that they retained Whaley, but, I personally, wasn't ready to see him leave.

Aside from the fact that they both have boatloads of money they couldn't be more different.

He & Kim made a mistake in hiring Rex, or at least that's what we're led to believe (and i do believe that they took the lead in the hiring). Aside from that what do you point to? Maybe that they retained Whaley, but, I personally, wasn't ready to see him leave.

It depends what rumors you believe, really. His name floated around the Fred Jackson thing and a couple other decisions i believe. Also that he kind of bypassed the coaches to get to the locker room.

All easily explained but could likewise easily be symptomatic of being a frustrating owner to have. I don't think we know which but I don't think it's a crazy off-season discussion at this point

I mean, if you think he's incredibly rich and meddlesome in decisions then what's the time limit before you are allowed to make comments reflecting that? It's a sports message board not like the OP is writing the final word on the guy and things can't change

I don't think 2 seasons is close unless there's some really bad stuff coming out about how he operates. To compare Pegula to Dan Snyder after two seasons is freaking ridiculous. Hell, Dan Snyder isn't even Dan Snyder anymore. He's even dialed it back quite a bit.

There's got to be a reasonable expectation of a learning curve for Pegula. I think he initially handled Marrone and Whaley correctly when he bought the team. He wanted them to prove themselves before extending them. Whaley was good with that, Marrone wasn't. I think that's why Whaley gets this chance. I can understand it even if I'd have moved on from him. He brought in Rex after Marrone bailed. I can see that too. I wasn't in interviews, but the talent on defense was stacked and Rex had had so much success on that side of the ball I see where it would look like a great match. I thought it would be initially. I had no idea that Rex could be so irretrievably stupid and inflexible with his scheme. Pegula dropped him after two seasons and I applaud him for it. He didn't let that travesty continue.

So Pegula came in with a need for a HC and QB. In two seasons he tried to find his HC in Rex. Rex brought in Tyrod to be the QB. Neither worked out. The three most important people in the building after the owner are HC, GM and QB (in whatever order you want to put them in). They're also the most difficult to find. Pegula and the Bills are on their second shot at two of those and still on their first of one. That's not a pattern. Bills fans are just so frustrated with the mediocrity and sub-mediocrity of the team for so many years they are taking it out on the guy who just got here. I'm sure what's been going on with the Pegula owned Sabres isn't helping, but I gotta be honest there - the tank was the right thing to do.

Pegula will be a bad owner until the Bills get a great QB...and then he will be a great owner. Same as GM and every coach...get a QB you suddenly are very smart.

You are right about the out-sized importance of having a good qb. The first thing the new owners should have done when they bought the team is ask the GM what is his strategy to address that position. Even a novice to the business can quickly recognize that the pathway to success is directly related to the qb position.

Even during this early stage of new ownership the GM has bypassed opportunities to acquire franchise changing qbs. There are no guarantees other than if you don't seriously try the odds of failing are high.

In general, I consider Whaley to be a good GM. His best work is in bringing mid-level free agents and get good value production from him. He is not afraid to take risks, exhibited by his maneuver to acquire Watkins, a receiver. But that transaction represents to me a major fault. If he was going to make a bold move it should have been for a qb, a position that gives you disproportionate return on a gamble. What's the point of paying a premium for a dynamic receiver when the receiver is neutered because the qb isn't up to standard.

As far as the Pegulas' as owner discussion I'm ecstatic that they bought the team. They are learning. They acted impulsively in hiring the huckster coach. They wanted to add some pizazzzz to this sleepy organization but what they got was a boatload of bulllsssshiiit! To their credit they acted quickly to cleanse the stench of that mistake. Ralph would have waited for the contract to run out before dispatching the blustering coach because he wouldn't want to have eaten the contract.

What the Pegulas' have done with the firing of Rex is give Whaley the clear authority to run the football operation without interference. He is responsible for the team. He no longer can hide behind the claim that there was a mixture of authorities that tied his hands. This instituting of a clear line of authority and responsibility is a demonstration that they are learning as they get more ownership experience. As far as I am concerned the Pegulas are the best thing that could have happened to this franchise and region.

Honest slightly off-topic question: does anyone have any insight into why the Buffalo News strated a crusade against the Pegulas? Has he wronged them in someway? Is he too Howard Hughes-like? Or maybe it's the ridiculous media policies during the off-season?

Jerry Sullivan took a dislike of them in their first meeting.

You are right about the out-sized importance of having a good qb. The first thing the new owners should have done when they bought the team is ask the GM what is his strategy to address that position. Even a novice to the business can quickly recognize that the pathway to success is directly related to the qb position.

Even during this early stage of new ownership the GM has bypassed opportunities to acquire franchise changing qbs. There are no guarantees other than if you don't seriously try the odds of failing are high.

In general, I consider Whaley to be a good GM. His best work is in bringing mid-level free agents and get good value production from him. He is not afraid to take risks, exhibited by his maneuver to acquire Watkins, a receiver. But that transaction represents to me a major fault. If he was going to make a bold move it should have been for a qb, a position that gives you disproportionate return on a gamble. What's the point of paying a premium for a dynamic receiver when the receiver is neutered because the qb isn't up to standard.

As far as the Pegulas' as owner discussion I'm ecstatic that they bought the team. They are learning. They acted impulsively in hiring the huckster coach. They wanted to add some pizazzzz to this sleepy organization but what they got was a boatload of bulllsssshiiit! To their credit they acted quickly to cleanse the stench of that mistake. Ralph would have waited for the contract to run out before dispatching the blustering coach because he wouldn't want to have eaten the contract.

What the Pegulas' have done with the firing of Rex is give Whaley the clear authority to run the football operation without interference. He is responsible for the team. He no longer can hide behind the claim that there was a mixture of authorities that tied his hands. This instituting of a clear line of authority and responsibility is a demonstration that they are learning as they get more ownership experience. As far as I am concerned the Pegulas are the best thing that could have happened to this franchise and region.

How about focus on the core product - the teams, and not focus on commercials, web profiles, those things, then they would not be compared to D Snyder. If you add in the money spent in the Sabres, I don't have a problem with the comparison. The shine will luster more and more till they make the hard decisions to get things right.

Unless there has been some study done to show that the Pegula's are unique in doing this, I'm not faulting them in any way for this.

As to Fred Jackson, recent story made it sound a bit like Rex may have actually been the one behind it.

It depends what rumors you believe, really. His name floated around the Fred Jackson thing and a couple other decisions i believe. Also that he kind of bypassed the coaches to get to the locker room.

All easily explained but could likewise easily be symptomatic of being a frustrating owner to have. I don't think we know which but I don't think it's a crazy off-season discussion at this point

I don't think 2 seasons is close unless there's some really bad stuff coming out about how he operates. To compare Pegula to Dan Snyder after two seasons is freaking ridiculous. Hell, Dan Snyder isn't even Dan Snyder anymore. He's even dialed it back quite a bit.

There's got to be a reasonable expectation of a learning curve for Pegula. I think he initially handled Marrone and Whaley correctly when he bought the team. He wanted them to prove themselves before extending them. Whaley was good with that, Marrone wasn't. I think that's why Whaley gets this chance. I can understand it even if I'd have moved on from him. He brought in Rex after Marrone bailed. I can see that too. I wasn't in interviews, but the talent on defense was stacked and Rex had had so much success on that side of the ball I see where it would look like a great match. I thought it would be initially. I had no idea that Rex could be so irretrievably stupid and inflexible with his scheme. Pegula dropped him after two seasons and I applaud him for it. He didn't let that travesty continue.

So Pegula came in with a need for a HC and QB. In two seasons he tried to find his HC in Rex. Rex brought in Tyrod to be the QB. Neither worked out. The three most important people in the building after the owner are HC, GM and QB (in whatever order you want to put them in). They're also the most difficult to find. Pegula and the Bills are on their second shot at two of those and still on their first of one. That's not a pattern. Bills fans are just so frustrated with the mediocrity and sub-mediocrity of the team for so many years they are taking it out on the guy who just got here. I'm sure what's been going on with the Pegula owned Sabres isn't helping, but I gotta be honest there - the tank was the right thing to do.

Pegula came in with a decision to make on Whaley. Most of the rest really comes down to letting football people handle football things like head coach (or qb - which I'm not sure about saying pegs brought in TT... but...)

Yea he's got a learning curve which is more than most wanted to admit til very recently. Now we hope he grows out of that stuff but just like any other growth curve you can't just assume that he will progress from clumsy rookie to hall of famer.

Unless there has been some study done to show that the Pegula's are unique in doing this, I'm not faulting them in any way for this.

As to Fred Jackson, recent story made it sound a bit like Rex may have actually been the one behind it.

Like I said - depending which version of the soap opera you like it's easy to tell either story. Most of us don't much know but i don't know if I can beat up a guy for being unhappy based on his reading of the cards.

Pegula came in with a decision to make on Whaley. Most of the rest really comes down to letting football people handle football things like head coach (or qb - which I'm not sure about saying pegs brought in TT... but...)

Yea he's got a learning curve which is more than most wanted to admit til very recently. Now we hope he grows out of that stuff but just like any other growth curve you can't just assume that he will progress from clumsy rookie to hall of famer.

Like I said - depending which version of the soap opera you like it's easy to tell either story. Most of us don't much know but i don't know if I can beat up a guy for being unhappy based on his reading of the cards.

I'm not assuming the Pegulas will be great owners - and I never said they would or wouldn't. What I responded to was directly comparing them after two years of ownership to Dan Snyder, which is unbelievably ridiculous.

how long will it take pegula to realize he is in over his head? dan snyder...redskins owner...still doesn't get it..imo.

What a silly comparison. Let me know when Pegula starts signing over the hill former superstar NFL players to mega contracts against the wishes of his front office people.

How about focus on the core product - the teams, and not focus on commercials, web profiles, those things, then they would not be compared to D Snyder. If you add in the money spent in the Sabres, I don't have a problem with the comparison. The shine will luster more and more till they make the hard decisions to get things right.

There is a business side to the sports business. This isn't fantasy football--- it is an actual business.The notion that by putting effort into promoting your business takes away from the effort of running the football operation makes little sense to me.

Let's get real here. When the Pegulas' acquired the franchise they didn't acquire a gold star franchise with a history of winning. They didn't acquire a sterling football operation that had a history of success. So for those fans who had high expectations and wanted instant success welcome to the real world where new and inexperienced owners go through a learning process just like everyone else would.

There are many people who repeatedly bring up the Dan Snyder interfering method of ownership. Their perception of what is happening in Washington is outdated. He, for the most part, doesn't involve himself in the football side of the business. He leaves it up to the GM. It's been that way since he hired Scot McCloughan as his GM. As it stands the model that the Pegulas should be following is the current Snyder model.