The Deep State War Heats Up :ph34r:

On 12/9/2019 at 2:49 PM, Hedge said:

It's actually just the "rn" combination that is triggering the search results. (You can just search for "rn" and Comey and other instances of actual "rn"s are shown.)

At times, text searches can be treated loosely to account for multiple criteria, one of which could be user error. In this case, where 2 consecutive letters can look like a third letter, it is within the realm conceivability this was the reason it was done. (I don't have a copy of Adobe Acrobat, but I think you can accomplish this through manipulating embedded indexes.)

This specific search functionality, however, does indeed appear to be unique to today's report. I've looked at some other recent IG PDF reports (including the Comey specific report that came out in Aug) and "rn" only returns actual "rn" values. 

I was just kicking this around a little more, since I had the report open.

You can copy Comey's name from the report and paste it anywhere else (the URL line or into another file type) and you can see that the "m" is not an "m", it's a "r" and "n" combination. Doing random sampling, I pulled out 10 other words that look like they have a "m" in them, and in all of these cases they really were an "m" when testing in this same manner.

The really interesting thing...and you can only do this if you actually download the PDF (looking at the PDF report in a browser won't show this because you can’t place the cursor within the text)...is that if you place the cursor on either side of the seeming "m" and click your arrow keys a single time (left or right, depending obviously on where you placed the cursor) that the "m" is only 1 character (a single movement of the cursor places it on the opposite side of the "m"), despite it copying out as 2 characters, "r" and "n".

So, yeah, there was some seemingly clever, and intentional, manipulation going on with Comey's name.

Edited by Hedge
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Hedge said:

I was just kicking this around a little more, since I had the report open.

You can copy Comey's name from the report and paste it anywhere else (the URL line or into another file type) and you can see that the "m" is not an "m", it's a "r" and "n" combination. Doing random sampling, I pulled out 10 other words that look like they have a "m" in them, and in all of these cases they really were an "m" when testing in this same manner.

The really interesting thing...and you can only do this if you actually download the PDF (looking at the PDF report in a browser won't show this because you can’t place the cursor within the text)...is that if you place the cursor on either side of the seeming "m" and click your arrow keys a single time (left or right, depending obviously on where you placed the cursor) that the "m" is only 1 character (a single movement of the cursor places it on the opposite side of the "m"), despite it copying out as 2 characters, "r" and "n".

So, yeah, there was some seemingly clever, and intentional, manipulation going on with Comey's name.

Food for thought -- I am still digging into this, so only offering this as a possible take: 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hedge said:

Yep, that Nunes tweet came to mind. as well as this one from Grassley:

If what they're laying out is accurate, then it's a crazy (and deliberate) procedure they use to hide names from FOIA searches. 

Which is just all sorts of insidious. 

Edited by Deranged Rhino
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

If what they're laying out is accurate, then it's a crazy (and deliberate) procedure they use to hide names from FOIA searches. 

Which is just all sorts of insidious. 

I wish one of today's questions in the Horowitz testimony would cover it... fully ready to be disappointed

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

When you lose the founder of Lawfare... you might have a problem. 

"Fairly typical errors?"  That dingbat thinks there's an acceptable level of error in authorizing the secret surveillance of American citizens???  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is rich... Eric Holder of all people has the chutzpah to write this op-ed.  Annnnnnd makes me wonder what he is so afraid of? <_<

Eric Holder: William Barr is unfit to be attorney general

As a former U.S. attorney general, I am reluctant to publicly criticize my successors. I respect the office and understand just how tough the job can be.
But recently, Attorney General William P. Barr has made a series of public statements and taken actions that are so plainly ideological, so nakedly partisan and so deeply inappropriate for America’s chief law enforcement official that they demand a response from someone who held the same office.

</snip>

Virtually since the moment he took office, though, Barr’s words and actions have been fundamentally inconsistent with his duty to the Constitution. Which is why I now fear that his conduct — running political interference  for an increasingly lawless president — will wreak lasting damage.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yes it's a tweet, and he's quoting someone else -- but the sitting president talking about the FISC as corrupt/incompetent is still worth noting. 

Real reform in the FISC/Surveillance programs is actually possible right now because of what's unfolding. That would be a major win for civil liberties, and something that NEVER would have even been a discussion had Clinton won. 

... But talk is cheap. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm sure Greggy will appreciate this.  WSJ is publicly calling out Burr for his earlier stance on Nunes memo.

Though Mr. Nunes has now been vindicated by Inspector General Michael Horowitz, at the time he was widely derided. Those who dismissed him included his Republican counterpart chairing the Senate Intelligence Committee, Richard Burr. In a July 24 story headlined “Burr breaks with Nunes,” CNN quoted the Senator as saying he believed there were “sound reasons” for the FISA order.

Mr. Burr was hardly alone in this reaction. But the CNN story notes that he made his comment “when asked about the House Republican memo alleging FBI and Justice Department abuses of the FISA process.” Mr. Burr’s remarks thus played to the press denouncing Mr. Nunes, enhanced Mr. Burr’s standing with Democrats—and by the way have now been proved wrong.

When we called to ask if he’d reconsidered in light of the Horowitz report, a spokeswoman said Mr. Burr stands by his remarks and that he will have more to say when his committee releases its final report as part of its Russia investigation. Perhaps he’ll include the words “I’m sorry.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1