Jim Kelly on espn about our situation 1/4

The Tomcat

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Jim just as much as the next guy. However, Jim is always out there in the media saying how much he loves the direction the team is going. Then it all falls apart and he talks about how things need changed. He has been doing this for the last sixteen years. He's always totally on board with everything (new coaches,QBs's etc), and when it fails he tells us that it wasn't a good fit. My point is that he is essentially the most famous Bills fan. He doesn't sound any different than a lot of posters here. I certainly don't think I'd want him in the front office.

I agree. Even if it's true there is no need to do that in such a public forum. I didn't hear him call out the defense.

Exactly!!

Fire Whaley..

Polian - President

Reich - HC

Wade - DC

Pill - OC

Acquire one of Glennon or McCarron

Overdraft DeShaun Watson @ 10

Let's go..

Flame away that I am !@#$ing living in the past .. but commit to this structure for 5 years and the Bills will make the playoffs at least once and Russ will sell a hell of a lot of tickets and sponsorships.

You want Polian as full time GM?

I can't see it at work. Does Kelly like Tyrod and think we bring him back? Anybody?

Jim was asked why we don't hear big name coaches being talked about as showing interest in coaching the Bills.

Jim said "It starts with the quarterback. Do you have a quarterback who can take lead you to the next level. We do not have one as of right now."

He also said "Tyrod Talyor did a lot of things last year and this year that quarterbacks cannot do (positive connotation), but consistently he just was not what we needed. He had to be more consistent on his throws. When we needed the first down to move the chains to win games, when we needed the first down to move the chains to get first downs to continue that control of the ball, to take time off the clock, we just didn't have that there."

He basically acknowledged Tyrod's special talent, and then also acknowledged that the offense did not get first downs in situations where it could have won them the game.

Keep in mind that he was not asked why the Bills ended up with the record they did or why they lost the games they lost. His answers likely would have been somewhat different if he was asked that. He was specifically asked why no big name coaches names are being thrown around as rumors for the Bills job. His explanation was basically, because the team's best quarterback right now is not a quarterback that people think will win you a Superbowl.

Jim was asked why we don't hear big name coaches being talked about as showing interest in coaching the Bills.

Jim said "It starts with the quarterback. Do you have a quarterback who can take lead you to the next level. We do not have one as of right now."

He also said "Tyrod Talyor did a lot of things last year and this year that quarterbacks cannot do (positive connotation), but consistently he just was not what we needed. He had to be more consistent on his throws. When we needed the first down to move the chains to win games, when we needed the first down to move the chains to get first downs to continue that control of the ball, to take time off the clock, we just didn't have that there."

He basically acknowledged Tyrod's special talent, and then also acknowledged that the offense did not get first downs in situations where it could have won them the game.

Keep in mind that he was not asked why the Bills ended up with the record they did or why they lost the games they lost. His answers likely would have been somewhat different if he was asked that. He was specifically asked why no big name coaches names are being thrown around as rumors for the Bills job. His explanation was basically, because the team's best quarterback right now is not a quarterback that people think will win you a Superbowl.

Which big name coaches are available....only one I can think of is Coughlin....the rest have not done anything as head coaches

Jim is never going to throw this organization under the bus, and I think his answer proves that. TT certainly isn't an elite QB, but how often do coaching jobs actually become available if the team already has a SB caliber QB? I would guess it's not very often. There are reasons why a team is looking for a new coach. It often starts with failure at the QB position. Sure, there are exceptions to this. I just find Jim's answer to be a bit simplistic. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Acquire one of Glennon or McCarron

Overdraft DeShaun Watson @ 10

I scratched out the part I didn't agree with and left the part I do agree with. While others are intensely scrutinizing the safety draft class the focus should be on getting the best qb prospect we can in this draft. Insignificant roster additions at secondary positions don't match a significant upgrade at the primary qb position. If a generation of futility hasn't taught this organization this then it is irretrievably stupid.

I can't see it at work. Does Kelly like Tyrod and think we bring him back? Anybody?

He said that Tyrod did a lot of things that other QB in the league can't do, but when we needed a first down to keep a scoring drive alive or control the balll, too often he couldn't get it. He said when you meet with the 3 QB in the building they're everything you want.

When asked why none of the big-name coaches are trying to come to buffalo, he said that Buffalo lacks the #1 thing these coaches look for and that is a QB (he didn't say anything about being put off by the organization. "it's the QB, Stupid!")

He didn't offer an opinion on whether or not Tyrod would be brought back, but he strongly implied he doesn't think Tyrod is a long term answer.

True. I don't think Whaley would want a big name coach anyway. He wants total control, and needs to find a puppet imo.

I think he would like a coach that he trusts and has similar ideas on building a team....why a puppet?

Quarterback Quarterback Quarterback Quarterback Quarterback Quarterback Quarterback Quarterback Quarterback Quarterback Quarterback Quarterback Quarterback Quarterback

Who is the Broncos' quarterback?

Who is the 49ers' quarterback?

Can the Jaguars' quarterback throw a spiral?

The Rams' quarterback situation is a gamble because you have no idea what you have with Goff. 5 TD's and 7 INT's at 5.3 ypa and a 63.6 passer rating. Even Manuel had a 77.7 rating as a rookie.

If only Taylor were a #tallwhitequarterback then he'd be given a constant benefit of the doubt and have all the chances in the world.

My wife keeps telling me Jim Kelly should be head of football operations for the Bills because he's 100% on board with wanting this team to win. I say he's got other things on his plate like charitable foundations and has to watch his health. I don't know, maybe she's right?

I think if Jim wanted to coach or run a football organization he would have gotten into it before now.

And I agree, he needs to watch his health and be able to take time off for monitoring and for further treatment as needed

ok, just curious since you didn't list one....so you want to hire a HC and coordinators before a GM?

Its his choice but yeah in this case the structure will evolve into Polian giving up the FT Football role like Nix did with Whaley. He will likely hire his son Chris as VP of Football Ops or VP of Pro and College scouting and it will evolve. There are a lot of flaws in this---

1) Wade did not overlap with Reich at all--

2) Ralph still owed Wade money at least from Wade's perspective

3) Alex and Reich did not overlap--

but its kinda of like the band of brothers -- all know the same handshake and the same guys...

This thing is a mess right now...we need to put it on a path with some long term commitment. Letting Whaley pick the coach is not it....

True. I don't think Whaley would want a big name coach anyway. He wants total control, and needs to find a puppet imo.

I don't have the impression at all that Whaley wants a puppet. I think he wants a good football coach who can adapt to the roster.

I think Whaley probably started out on board and enthusiastic about Rex then over time as Rex showed himself unable to work successfully with the roster he had and Whaley had to dump some talent and fill resulting holes, plus watching the games, he soured on Rex.

Kelly's indictment was scathing: the coaches didn't coach and the players didn't play.

Its his choice but yeah in this case the structure will evolve into Polian giving up the FT Football role like Nix did with Whaley. He will likely hire his son Chris as VP of Football Ops or VP of Pro and College scouting and it will evolve. There are a lot of flaws in this---

but its kinda of like the band of brothers -- all know the same handshake and the same guys...

This thing is a mess right now...we need to put it on a path with some long term commitment. Letting Whaley pick the coach is not it....

all due respect, i don't think your choices clean it up much

Funny, I think giving Chris Polian the power and title "VP of Football Ops" is not it.