PFF: Bills Should Build Around Tyrod

7th in points after his last game. If Doug Whaley really wants to prove just how incomptent he is he wont bring tyrod back. The only reason they wouldnt is if they are tanking for darnold.

And this takes us where? Same place we have been, are at now and where we are heading...

They same place Jim Kelly took us after his second year as starter.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7th in points after his last game. If Doug Whaley really wants to prove just how incomptent he is he wont bring tyrod back. The only reason they wouldnt is if they are tanking for darnold.

They same place Jim Kelly took us after his second year as starter.

CoT has lost it now, comparing Tyrod to Jim Kelly.

Their career situations are closer then u want to admit. Both starting college QBs. Tyrod won a title. Kelly played years in the usfl before his 1st NFL season. Tyrod rode the bench for years before his 1st NFL season. Both had less than steller 2 seasons on extremely disfunctional Bills and teams. Kellys was the bickering Bills. Tyrods was the Rex Ryan Bills.

This is a very fair analysis.

It is stating what many of us feel. Sign him and let's move forward.

Name drops, and reads like it was written by a bot.

First sentence of Tyrod analysis should include:

"A NFL QB stands who stands on his tip toes to through a crossing route"

His worst problem is he's always late with his throws. It must have been something he learned from EJ. EJ's much slower, but TT also waits for the WR to make his break before he throws.

The goal the team needs to have is to assemble a team that can win the Superbowl, not assemble a team who can sneak into the playoffs. IMO we are the latter and that is what we have clearly said we were trying to do, get to the playoffs. Once we get there than what? Get smoked by the same teams we can't beat during the season is what. TT is one of the guys who is good enough to give you average and keep you average. Best bet is to acknowledge that and move on, if you have to take a few steps back to bottom out for a season or clean up the roster by letting a few players go, fine. Build a contender and not a team that is built to sneak into the playoffs and get killed by teams you just can't compete with. That is simply the reality of where we are and have been for the past 17 seasons and most likely the next 3 at least...

Top 10 is average?

Wow. Amazing how dense some you can be. For starters Kelly is myvfavorite Bill of all time. I was there for the whole ride. Been watching football probably before most of where born. Not saying Tyrod is Kelly. Point is it takes a while for QBs to develop. In Tyrods second year as starter Bills offense top ten in scoring with a young qb who still has room to improve. Not a hard concept. Fix the useless defense.

Edited by TANK2

This is a very fair analysis.

It is stating what many of us feel. Sign him and let's move forward.

He is already signed and the Bills own him. They simply need to decide on March 1st whether to pay him the bonus or let go of him. TT will be the starting QB for this team in 2017 unless you can get a Romo in Free Agency which is really not happening.

It's simply not possible that he's a better shot than Cutler. Either way, not a long term solution, of course.

It is certainly possible. I'll take the guy with more athleticism and better work ethic personally. This is a two-year patch unless the landscape changes drastically. Can't see a better prospect in free agency or the draft right now.

What other real option do they have unless they really want to go into full rebuild? If Whaley doesn't bring back Taylor as a stop gap to whoever else they can develop he really is a poor GM. Unless we get Romo or some other surprise but I can't imagine what that could be.

Top 10 is average?

Nope. But 20th is actually a bit below average. And that's Tyrod's passer rating ranking.

And 26th is too. And that's Tyrod's YPA ranking.

21st is. And that's his completion percentage.

We could talk about fourth quarter comebacks and game winning drives and the inability to throw over the deep to intermediate middle of the field, the frequent urgency to leave the pocket while it's still holding, the reluctance to throw to receivers till they're already open, yadda yadda yadda.

But what you have with Tyrod is a guy who keeps the INTs low and runs very well and runs a passing game that's a bit below average.

Not sure what you mean by 10th? Total QBR, the ESPN stat that's basically opaque about how they come up with a number? That's come up with a bunch of bizarre numbers from the beginning, and this year too unless you think Dak Prescott is the 3rd best QB in the league, Stafford is only 8th and Carr is 16th. I mean, a system that has Tyrod as better than Roethlisberger this year is pretty wacky.

What other real option do they have unless they really want to go into full rebuild? If Whaley doesn't bring back Taylor as a stop gap to whoever else they can develop he really is a poor GM. Unless we get Romo or some other surprise but I can't imagine what that could be.

Wouldn't mind a bit if they bring him back as a stopgap / bridge guy, with hopes that maybe against all odds he makes a huge leap upwards.

But a bridge guy simply shouldn't get paid what Tyrod will get paid if he only lasts a year or two. If they can get him to re-negotiate, so he's not going to cost $30.5 mill total against the cap if he's off the roster in a year or less - or $40.5 mill against the cap if he's off the roster in more than one but no more than two - it would make some real sense to keep him.

This team is going to be scraping by on cap, especially with all the FAs whose contracts are up. We can't afford to spend that kind of money on a stopgap / bridge guy.

Wow. Amazing how dense some you can be. For starters Kelly is myvfavorite Bill of all time. I was there for the whole ride. Been watching football probably before most of where born. Not saying Tyrod is Kelly. Point is it takes a while for QBs to develop. In Tyrods second year as starter Bills offense top ten in scoring with a young qb who still has room to improve. Not a hard concept. Fix the useless defense.

It's also his sixth year in the league.

And the reason it's a top ten offense in scoring has an awful lot to do with the excellent field position the offense has averaged per drive start, the above average defensive scoring we saw this year and the excellent run offense.

Sure, we should fix the useless defense. And the not much better offense too.

Sunday's Jets' game with EJ at the helm may have made the case for keeping Tyrod better that he ever could.

It's not an either-or. Yup, EJ sucked. That didn't make Tyrod better.

They could use the Jacksonville game too. This is one of the few areas Tyrod progressed in this year. He used to not be able to do that. Now theres 2 games this season he brought us back. Not a huge leap but still progressing

and the Tennessee game, where he single handedly brought us back to victory -even after the horse-collar tackle that sidelined him for a few weeks. Granted, it wasn't a thrilling passing performance, but his unique foot skills won us that game.

Nope. But 20th is actually a bit below average. And that's Tyrod's passer rating ranking.

And 26th is too. And that's Tyrod's YPA ranking.

21st is. And that's his completion percentage.

We could talk about fourth quarter comebacks and game winning drives and the inability to throw over the deep to intermediate middle of the field, the frequent urgency to leave the pocket while it's still holding, the reluctance to throw to receivers till they're already open, yadda yadda yadda.

But what you have with Tyrod is a guy who keeps the INTs low and runs very well and runs a passing game that's a bit below average.

Not sure what you mean by 10th? Total QBR, the ESPN stat that's basically opaque about how they come up with a number? That's come up with a bunch of bizarre numbers from the beginning, and this year too unless you think Dak Prescott is the 3rd best QB in the league, Stafford is only 8th and Carr is 16th. I mean, a system that has Tyrod as better than Roethlisberger this year is pretty wacky.

Hey Thurman I'm glad to see you over here.

The quote I responded to was "TT is one of the guys who is good enough to give you average and keep you average." So my interpretation of this is that Taylor is incapable of leading an above average offense. Which is wrong, of course. The Bills offense finished 9th in DVOA offensive efficiency in 2015 and 10th this season. I don't consider 9th and 10th to be average. And I'm sure you know that DVOA takes all factors into account, including starting field position.

I consider 9th and 10th out of 32 teams better than "average."

As for Taylor's individual rankings, I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers from (maybe you're including backups?) but Taylor finished 2016 18th among starters in passer rating, 8th in interception %, 19th in completion %, 11th in QBR, 21st in YPA and 18th in ANY/A.

He's also 2nd in the league among starting QB's in Air Yard Percentage - which means his receivers don't get much YAC and his numbers aren't bloated with screens and what not.

This after finishing 2015 ranked 8th in passer rating, 5th in interception %, 15th in completion %, 7th in QBR, 5th in YPA, and 9th in ANY/A.

Have you taken a gander at Sam Monson's piece about Tyrod? I recommend you open your mind before reading.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-bills-should-build-around-tyrod-taylor-not-show-him-the-door/?utm_content=buffer72957&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

It's not an either-or. Yup, EJ sucked. That didn't make Tyrod better.

What it did was show us all what the offense looks like when there's not a good quarterback behind center.

The free agent crop of QBs is weak and there's no Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning in the draft this year.

Work out a deal to keep Tyrod for another few years at less money, then start drafting QBs every year.

I'd be okay with keeping Tyrod at a reasonable contract as a bridge, but I don't think he would go for that. He will want to test the market.

But a bridge guy simply shouldn't get paid what Tyrod will get paid if he only lasts a year or two. If they can get him to re-negotiate, so he's not going to cost $30.5 mill total against the cap if he's off the roster in a year or less - or $40.5 mill against the cap if he's off the roster in more than one but no more than two - it would make some real sense to keep him.

You don't have your numbers right. Gone after year 1 = $35 million in dead cap, after year 2 = 20 million after year 3 = 10 million which is why you are committing to 3 years. And those numbers only apply if you get rid of him.

While he is on the team his cap numbers are - next year = 15.9 million year 2 = 16.8 million year 3 = 17.4 million all those years are very reasonable cap numbers - heck even Brock Osweiller is getting more than that. Brock is getting 19 million,21 million and 20 million in cap over the same time period.

You aren't going to get another (top 21) veteran in here for less than Tyrod costs you in cap costs. Tyrod is the cheapest route even with his current contract.

The only way you get significantly cheaper is to go with a rookie or some other short term backup QB who has not been a consistent starter. And by doing that you are extremely likely to be downgrading performance at QB.

I'd be okay with keeping Tyrod at a reasonable contract as a bridge, but I don't think he would go for that. He will want to test the market.

You don't consider the 20th highest cap hit among QB's to be reasonable for a quarterback that has finished 8th (2015) and 18th (2016) in passer rating for an offense that has finished 9th and 10th respectively in DVOA in his only two seasons as a starter?

Sure, we should fix the useless defense. And the not much better offense

So tell me the answer. We send tyrod packing. Whose your QB in 2017?

So if Tyrod isn't the Bills QB going forward, who do you think should be? You keep asking so what's your answer?

So if Tyrod isn't the Bills QB going forward, who do you think should be? You keep asking so what's your answer?

He should be the Bills QB. Thats my position. If they keep him Id still take a qb in rounds 2-4 every year till I find another Derek Carr clone. If the Bills let him walk they should gut the team. Try for 0-16. And take a qb at the top of the 2018 draft.

I keep asking because nobody in the dump tyrod camp has an answer. Cant take a position without a solution to the problems caused by your action. Nobody on the roster is better than tyrod. The free agent qb crop is garbage. Not only is Romo injury prone but he also folds under pressure. You draft a guy hes likely 2-4 years away unless to pick first overall and theres a marquee prospect there. Easy to say dump Tyrod. What do you do after that?

Edited by TANK2