Discipline: Watkins & Shady Say Bills Need a Culture Change

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read on ESPN bottom line that "LeSean McCoy and Sammy Watkins believe discipline among players was an issue under coach Rex Ryan. McCoy said had problems knowing their assignments and that fines for being late to meetings were ineffective given players' saleries. Watkins added: "the coaches have to hard on us not scared of us."

Sounds like a lack of player leadership to me.

We're cool.

I will add though, I dont think all people are lazy. I know plenty of doers who are intrinsically motivated.

But with group dynamics it only takes 1 or 2 people to bring the entire group down. Even the strongest of doers.

That is where your culture comes in. Is your culture strong enough where people can identify the culprits and coach them up? Or is it weak to where the bad apples take over and bring everyone down?

Go Bills

I think Marrone's biggest flaw was his unwavering commitment to Nate Hackett. The D was solid with Schwartz.

With a new OC.. the team could of been money. We will never know tho.

And that D under Schwartz is gone. Long gone.

I think Hackett's biggest flaw was his unwavering commitment to Doug Marrone.

Marrone's O was a lackluster thing with no creativity. Players commented that Hackett wanted to get more imaginative but Marrone wouldn't let him.

Maybe, but McCoy saw his share of errant throws and he got crushed for a loss more than once. Yet he doesn't put it on his team mates with all the dramatic gesticulations.

He's not a leader. Just play hard and get back to the huddle Sammy.

The whole system was built around being ideal for a feature back - he would be silly to be upset by his role

I will add though, I dont think all people are lazy. I know plenty of doers who are intrinsically motivated.

But with group dynamics it only takes 1 or 2 people to bring the entire group down. Even the strongest of doers.

That is where your culture comes in. Is your culture strong enough where people can identify the culprits and coach them up? Or is it weak to where the bad apples take over and bring everyone down?

Go Bills

Agree on your two points.

What you're calling culture I'd call your work environment, but, not worth quibbling about. You need one of two things to clean up a superfund site like the Bills. It either comes from the top down, or there is enough lateral pressure to force the weak links to shape up. If you have both of those things... :thumbsup:

Sammy did mucho talking today. Even acted as Robert Woods' agent at one point.

I listened to him talk but i think that's all it is. Just talk.

Dude said we need a coach that's gonna scream at us, yell at us, curse at us. Yeah ok. Having a guy curse at grown men who make more money than they do is not the right recipe.

Football is a physical sport and these players are not your average, eating fast food, not working out, sitting down most of the day guys. These are athletes who take good care of their bodies (most of them at least). To have a guy who's not in shape, works more hours yes but not breaking a sweat while doing it, come in and start cursing at grown men? Nah its not gonna work.

You can have a coach who can bring discipline to a team by hitting them where it hurts. Their pockets and their fame. If a player isn't performing well or if a player clearly did something like get a personal foul that impacted the game, or a holding call that keeps your defense on the field for another set of downs, sit him. That's it. You dont perform you dont play. If that player doesn't want to sit on the bench for most of the year, i bet he'll start playing like he should.

To be honest that's just ONE way to have discipline without cursing at someone. You can go about it in MANY ways.

Ever wonder why world class orchestras, made up with the best musicians in the world, still need a conductor?

No need to worry about details with Lynn

There were admittedly problems under Rex Ryan when it came to substitutions, getting play calls in on time, penalties and missed assignments. It was likely part of the reason he was fired earlier this week. As interim head coach Anthony Lynn steps out to the sidelines today, one thing his players are not worried about is his handling of the details.