Bucky: Rex takes fall, but Bills' problems start at the top

Rico

Okay let me try another way.... present your case for why he should have stayed. Not excuses... not injuries or refs or nasty Doug Whaley what have you seen from Rex to suggest he had this team headed in the right direction? We know he has a record that is one game better than Doug Marrone's let's take that as a given. I am looking for something tangiable about what he did do not excuses for what he didn't do... maybe I am missing it.

We can disagree about Rex. Fine. But if you are only going to give a coach LESS THAN two years - do not hire him in the first place. This was BS. I hate doing this every few years.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We can disagree about Rex. Fine. But if you are only going to give a coach LESS THAN two years - do not hire him in the first place. This was BS. I hate doing this every few years.

On that we can agree. I hate this too but it was heading this way the day he was hired sadly - that is where the mistakes were made.

On that we can agree. I hate this too but it was heading this way the day he was hired sadly - that is where the mistakes were made.

The Pegulas ensured that the past two years were wasted. I believe they foolishly took the advice of people who were responsible for more than the past few years. i also was more optimistic about what the future would hold with Rex and without the injuries etc.

I am pissed off about what happened and am not looking forward to feeling the same way I felt after guys like Greggo and St. Doug were hired.

What about when well respected guys like Greg Bedard laugh at the team and Pegula's for their handling of this situation and their involvement in the team? He don't have an axe to grind with anyone ...does he???

And you know what they will all be praising him in 2 years if it works. Just like Harrington does with Eichel. Why because they know thats what fans will want to read then.

Know what happens when writers stop doing what readers want?

I am pissed off about what happened and am not looking forward to feeling the same way I felt after guys like Greggo and St. Doug were hired.

Which I suspect is exactly how I felt the day Rex was hired. In fact my now ex girlfriend who I was with the day the news that it was going to be Rex broke actually text me this afternoon (she still follows the Bills feed on her twitter) saying "You must be happy?"

So you want to keep a coach that had a good defense, had the GM spend all the assets in the good defense and made it worse every year?

Look we can all bash the Rex hire. I know I did.

At least understand it.

1. Owners just bought a team they thought they had a winning HC and going in an upward trend.

2. He quit

3. Scrambled to put together a HC plan

4. Decided on the biggest fish out there (to change a long term perception of Bills not paying coaches)

5. Took advise from Brandon (who helped them tremendously though the sale)

When you understand it doesnt really shed to bad of a light on the situation

Two years later realized the mistake and rectified it. But the GM in charge of the next coach search.

Realized this defense is still a talented 4-3 front and makes that a priority and the Guy that did lead a top 15 scoring offense does have a real shot just not a token place holder

So you want to keep a coach that had a good defense, had the GM spend all the assets in the good defense and made it worse every year?

I have been through this already. I will let you forget about the injuries and suspensions and having to play street free agents or guys not tackling (having nothing to do with scheme) or Mario going on strike.

Bucky's key points are all dead on.

1) The Pegulas need an outside, objective voice to help assess what they bought. They have yet to do that.

2) Firing Rex Ryan is a superficial "fix" that will not solve organizational problems.

3) Lynn is likely to be named HC, not because he is the best candidate for the job, but because that will give Whaley all the leverage and he can easily control Lynn.

4) Whaley should be careful; events are unfolding here much as they did with the Sabres; Whaley's head is next to roll.

Say what you want about Bucky, but he's right on every key point.

1) The Pegulas need an outside, objective voice to help assess what they bought. They have yet to do that.

2) Firing Rex Ryan is a superficial "fix" that will not solve organizational problems.

3) Lynn is likely to be named HC, not because he is the best candidate for the job, but because that will give Whaley all the leverage and he can easily control Lynn.

4) Whaley should be careful; events are unfolding here much as they did with the Sabres; Whaley's head is next to roll.

Those are all assumptions that a troll writer from TBN wrote. Bucky lost all his cred when he got caught in the Sabres should tank story and when they did trashed the organization.

With or without Rex being fired, if the Bills don't turn things around, Whaley's head was going to roll. Seriously, what is up with all this conspiracy-style thinking.

Am I a bad person because I initially just saw the first and sixth words of this post?

Sorry Bucky, as much as I think you are one of the worst sports writers in the history of sports as well as writing (not to mention humanity) I do not wish ill on you. May you and Sully live a long and happy life together pretending that you guys knew it all along and are smarter than everyone else.

The Pegulas made the mistake of hiring Rex Ryan to fix something that wasn't broken. We're now in the same predicament as we were two years ago, this time the functional unit (7th in scoring offense) is the offense.

We don't need to blow everything up, we just have to fix the defense, and somewhat get the ST to be more consistent. We're close and yet so far.

I have been through this already. I will let you forget about the injuries and suspensions and having to play street free agents or guys not tackling (having nothing to do with scheme) or Mario going on strike.

And thats Whos fault sounds like a coaching problem. Same coaching problems he had in NY

The Pegulas made the mistake of hiring Rex Ryan to fix something that wasn't broken. We're now in the same predicament as we were two years ago, this time the functional unit (7th in scoring offense) is the offense.

We don't need to blow everything up, we just have to fix the defense, and somewhat get the ST to be more consistent. We're close and yet so far.

I posted this. At least understand the hire i didnt like it but understood it

And thats Whos fault sounds like a coaching problem. Same coaching problems he had in NY

I posted this. At least understand the hire i didnt like it but understood it

I wasn't thrilled but I knew that we could have done a lot worse, moreso knowing we had nothing at the QB position. What I couldn't anticipate is that he would be so bad defensively.

Okay let me try another way.... present your case for why he should have stayed. Not excuses... not injuries or refs or nasty Doug Whaley what have you seen from Rex to suggest he had this team headed in the right direction? We know he has a record that is one game better than Doug Marrone's let's take that as a given. I am looking for something tangiable about what he did do not excuses for what he didn't do... maybe I am missing it.

atleast with marrone the team was getting better and he was improving on his record from the year before. F your going to go after the Pegulas for making a mistake, it was hiring Rex in the first place. Rex and rob are living off of and now destroying the Ryan legacy/name that their father built. They are almost 2 years too late making this move and if anything this will make the franchise more respectable.

What about when well respected guys like Greg Bedard laugh at the team and Pegula's for their handling of this situation and their involvement in the team? He don't have an axe to grind with anyone ...does he???

Greg bedard? I have never even heard of him, i doubt his opinion is worth any more then yours or mine....

Keep Tyrod and look for a franchise QB at the same time. Keep the offense intact and fix the defense. But my guess is they cut ties with Tyrod while bringing in a crumby veteran and draft a QB high in the draft instead of keeping Tyrod and still drafting a QB high in the draft. It's the Billsy thing to do.

Exactly. I would bring a new ST coach and a new kicker to make this transition complete.

Maybe Rex did take the fall...

But he pushed himself over the edge...

Rex's failures stand on their own...Not to say there are not other problems at OBD because there most definitely are...But today was about the 1st step...Getting rid of a guy who claims to be a defensive genius yet could not figure out a way to get his Defense in the top 15, let alone the top 10, in almost two full seasons... B-)