MMQB: Rex Ryan's last rodeo? What went wrong in Bflo

YoloinOhio

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/12/27/rex-ryan-fired-bills-future

Considering the Bills roster this year, calling a 7-9 or 8-8 finish underachieving seems unfair.

But the Pegulas actions say that they saw enough from Ryan in two years to believe that giving him more time would not turn this operation around. A big factor is the performance of the defense, which folded in a few key games, like the losses to Oakland and Miami. In Baltimore and New York, Ryans strength was loyalty from his players and how he could creatively bring out their strengths. There were very public signs, though, that he never established that same dynamic in Buffalo. One of the Bills best players, Jerry Hughes, was benched for the start of the Week 14 game against Pittsburgh for a non-injury reason. Ryan also enumerated in a press conference some of the mistakes cornerback Stephon Gilmore made in the second Patriots loss. Both were a seeming departure from Ryans normal way of business.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Rex's act grew tired a lot faster because he's been bad for the last 6 years. Its easy to tune him out.

It still baffles me to this day why the Bills hired him (outside of the Russ Brandon-like marketing crap) when he had shown to the world how he just lost his team with the Jets. His brash act was refreshing when he was hired in NY, but it grew stale after a while. As much as the players loved him, he wasn't motivating them enough.

His playoff guarantee was nice...I guess...but he never put his money where his mouth is. On the field, the players were undisciplined and I'm sure were constantly out of sync - just look at how many times they wasted a timeout because the play call wasn't in on time or the wrong personnel were on the field. You don't see stuff like that from winning teams.

The strongest argument that we underachieved is that we had 9 potential pro bowlers - 2 straight up and 7 alternates. Typically the teams at the top of the standings get a lot of "straight ticket" votes, so for a middling team to get that many is pretty impressive. There is talent on this team, especially on defense. I'm of the mindset that better coaching alone can get the D to average at least. I'd like to see a mixed bag of resource allocation in the offseason - we really need better depth at WR and TE, and QB should be a consideration even if Tyrod is retained.

I think his defensive game plan was easily solved and he and his brother had no counterpunch.

id be curious about commentary from someone that covered him and really broke down the film in baltimore, ny and buff.... but i felt like he lacked some of the creativity. we did some stuff to change up week to week but it didnt seem thoughtful a lot of times. i know im advocating a simple defense in another thread, but you can still get interesting wrinkles and surprises without complex reads. it didnt seem to ever get any identity either. it might be cliche but i think we lacked the initial punch more than the counterpunch. we never got opponents on their heels with this defense and with hughes, and kyle and MD we should have been able to knock teams off balance.

there were only so many times that i went "oh, wow, cool concept" and i felt like he used to be known for those moments. it might be my own frustration coloring that though.

Edited by NoSaint

Rex f'ed up the D. To this there is no doubt. But if Whaley is suggesting to the Pegulas--which I'm sure he is--that this is an 11 win roster, our ownership might be more stupid than some think.

This roster is so bad they only scored 389 points in 15 games and sent 9 players to the pro bowl as starters or alternates.

Rex f'ed up the D. To this there is no doubt. But if Whaley is suggesting to the Pegulas--which I'm sure he is--that this is an 11 win roster, our ownership might be more stupid than some think.

i put the over under around 8.5 most of the year, figuring wild inconsistency would be a hall mark (pegging a homerun hitter that struggles in the chain moving offense at qb, and somewhat at RB and rex organizing the defense would be hot and cold).

what i thought though was that the team would generally play to strengths, guys would be in position to make plays and maximize potential and there would be an identity. i saw that, more or less, on offense. they put up points, but ran hot and cold. you knew who they were even with a coaching change and injuries and...

but the defense? nope. 2 years in and its still not a cohesive unit on the side of the ball that was a huge strength leading into this.

Edited by NoSaint

I think his defensive game plan was easily solved and he and his brother had no counterpunch.

Just look at when they went to Arizona! They took a franchise on the upswing and turned it to a pile of garbage. For their defensive scheme to win, you need 11 all-pro players on defense and at least one hall of famer on offense. That was proven in Chicago. I jumped for joy this morning

This roster is so bad they only scored 389 points in 15 games and sent 9 players to the pro bowl as starters or alternates.

On the defensive side of the ball, I see a unit more suited to a 3-4, while the other half should be playing a 4-3. I've always maintained Whaley is a hell of a scout, but when it comes to a wider vision, I have my questions.

I think if you gave this roster to Belichick he wins 12. He doesn't lose at home to the Jets, doesn't lose twice to the Dolphins, doesn't mismanage Seattle game away and doesn't blow a two score third quarter lead in Oakland.

So according to the article this is Lynns audition and they shove a scrub QB down his throat.

some of yall get so caught up in the result that you miss the process in situations. Lynn wont be judged based on a win or loss sunday -- itll be whether he handles the week with professionalism, shows up organized, and communicates well.... not if EJ heaves a pick 6 and loses the game.

some of yall get so caught up in the result that you miss the process in situations. Lynn wont be judged based on a win or loss sunday -- itll be whether he handles the week with professionalism, shows up organized, and communicates well.... not if EJ heaves a pick 6 and loses the game.

Yea you are right it makes sense.

I think if you gave this roster to Belichick he wins 12. He doesn't lose at home to the Jets, doesn't lose twice to the Dolphins, doesn't mismanage Seattle game away and doesn't blow a two score third quarter lead in Oakland.

You're probably right. But Bill Belichick isn't on the market and he doesn't grow on trees. It's like saying if Brady was on this team, we'd probably win 12.

I'm just saying, w/o the addition of a GOAT coach or a GOAT QB, is this a 11-12 win roster? I strongly believe this is what Whaley had led Pegula to believe.

Edited by stony