Punting on 4th and 3 with 4 mins to go in OT?

Jerry Jabber

He said he had been calling time out and the players on the field had been trying to get a time out long before the kick. He finally went up to the official and started yelling time out. I believe him. I've seen refs standing in front of coaches staring at them waiting for the timeout. This guy was totally ignoring Ryan. Everybody in football knows it's common to "freeze" a kicker, and the Bills were going to use the time out to get his field goal defense/blocking team on the field. They got screwed again by the ref. Screwed. You'll read about it in a day or so. An apology is forthcoming.

The video replay says otherwise, it sure looked late to me.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they go for it and don't make it, he doesn't get the same degree of heat he is getting for this gutless move.

As for the time-out he blew it both ways. First they shouldn't have tried to call a time out. They were rushing to get on the field. But if he did want to call the time out to get his kick block team on the field then there was no reason to wait. He is lying. The TV showed he screwed up what he wanted to do. He is just making things up now. He tried to ice the kicker in a panic situation. That was a dumb idea and he executed it horribly.

Bye Bye

When your job is on the line it was an inexcusable move. Bad as not getting the play in on time on the 4th and 1 play. Rex is bad in time management and game situational decisions

Rex calls offensive plays now too? Oh wait...that's the guy the want to keep. My bad

Rex calls offensive plays now too? Oh wait...that's the guy the want to keep. My bad

HC and the OC with others plan out these things. It is not done on the fly. They chart and have plays for all situations. All teams do it.

It's been few and far between that the offense has played very well in both phases (rushing and passing) this season. Today the Bills had 589 yards of offense. With the offense finally on a roll and able to move the chains, I thought it was a boneheaded and gutless move to punt at that time. The whole season is on the line as a loss or tie would have eliminated the Bills. Instead of going for it, Rex sent in Schmidt (who has been terrible) to try and pin the Dolphins deep, but ends up having another crappy punt. Next play, the Bills D only has 10 players on the field on Ajayi runs for a huge gain. For decisions like that, it's more proof that Rex is not a good HC and needs to go.

Normally, that would have been the correct decision. But his faith in the defense was very badly misplaced with the way they were missing tackles. If he had decided to go for it and they failed, he'd still be roasted for making a bad decision, but between the way the two units were playing, it was the offense who was more deserving of his faith.

If they go for it and don't make it, he doesn't get the same degree of heat he is getting for this gutless move.

As for the time-out he blew it both ways. First they shouldn't have tried to call a time out. They were rushing to get on the field. But if he did want to call the time out to get his kick block team on the field then there was no reason to wait. He is lying. The TV showed he screwed up what he wanted to do. He is just making things up now. He tried to ice the kicker in a panic situation. That was a dumb idea and he executed it horribly.

Bye Bye

Rex seems like a very nice guy. But "bad ideas, executed horribly" should be on his business card. Bravo Sir, you should get a royalty on that.

For bad football coaches like Rex, the asinine "timeout to ice the kicker" move is what qualifies as high-level coaching strategy (along with "deferring") but he couldn't even get that simple move right. And by the way, icing NFL kickers does not work.

Not defending Rexy's punt because obviously the outcome shows he should not have. But this board cracks me up. Had Rex gone for it and they failed Miami needed about one first down to kick the winner. You do understand that right? The greatest Monday morning qb's in the world - sully- TBN- this boards posters - Would be ROASTING Rex for not punting instead. Roast away armchair experts!!!

Not defending Rexy's punt because obviously the outcome shows he should not have. But this board cracks me up. Had Rex gone for it and they failed Miami needed about one first down to kick the winner. You do understand that right? The greatest Monday morning qb's in the world - sully- TBN- this boards posters - Would be ROASTING Rex for not punting instead. Roast away armchair experts!!!

I disagree. I dont know how timeouts work in OT, but when I saw 4rth down with 4 minutes, I was thinking punt in order to get Miami deep in their zone. I was also thinking about going for it. Either way, it didnt bother me. What killed me was the 39 yard punt to the 20. JESUS! This team is disfunctional at all levels. They had to pin them on the 5-10 yard line.

Criticism will go on incessantly until changes are made. And changes need to be made But for the media morons to rage on about punting from their own 41 are idiotic. In our fan brains we want the glorious "go for it" , make it and drive down to score. In the real world we get stopped on fourth, Miami gains ten yards and kicks a field goal to win. Rex is then fired for his stupid decision to go for it. Just pointing out the two faced stupidity of the media. They are so ballsy on their keyboards

Criticism will go on incessantly until changes are made. And changes need to be made But for the media morons to rage on about punting from their own 41 are idiotic. In our fan brains we want the glorious "go for it" , make it and drive down to score. In the real world we get stopped on fourth, Miami gains ten yards and kicks a field goal to win. Rex is then fired for his stupid decision to go for it. Just pointing out the two faced stupidity of the media. They are so ballsy on their keyboards

How many timeouts did the Bills have? If they had full time outs, then punting is the better option. However, if they had no timeouts, then they had to go for it. No way the bills get the ball back with enough time on the clock. Especially when we have seen the 2 minute offense this year.

if we had a great D there is some logic to it- we don't even have a descent defense. I was a keep Rex guy but not after yesterday to say he had confidence is his defense was ridiculous - how?? He wants it all on him my responsibility and that's what he's going to get. He hired a poor staff over all which made him look even worse (and I don't mean his brother). You have position coaches and frankly they dictate who plays. Gilmore in concussion protocol the the DB's coach to have the next guy up- just saying.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

No this post is idiotic. We needed to win or we were out, a tie did us no good. You punt away and you put yourself in a position where you have to get the ball back from the Dolphins, drive down the field and score with one of the shakiest kickers in the game, all in under 4 minutes. Not to mention that our offense was rolling pretty well and our defense had been getting torched all day. Going for it on 4th down there gives you a much, much better chance of winning the game. You and Rex have no clue what you are talking about.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12