The "Vote on firing Rex" poll

8-8 Forever?

One thing that I am pretty sure about is that the Rex Haters will be rooting for Miami (and the Jets next week).

Merry Christmas Bills fans.

I don't know if I qualify as a Rex hater (I didn't want him and would have fired him at the end of last season but think he has done a better job this year and if he gets at least to 8-8 would be okay with him staying) but if I do then I will just clarfiy that the only year I have wanted the Bills to lose was the Cam Newton / possible Andrew Luck coming out year when we started 0-9. After 0-6 I was rooting for defeats and I still hate that we won 4 of our last 7 that year. However, other than that I always want the Bills to win.

Do I in my heart of hearts believe Rex will ever take us to a Championship? No. But I have not banged on about firing him this year because as an objective assessment I don't think his 2016 performance has been "sackable" whereas I think his 2015 season was.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if I qualify as a Rex hater (I didn't want him and would have fired him at the end of last season but think he has done a better job this year and if he gets at least to 8-8 would be okay with him staying) but if I do then I will just clarfiy that the only year I have wanted the Bills to lose was the Cam Newton / possible Andrew Luck coming out year when we started 0-9. After 0-6 I was rooting for defeats and I still hate that we won 4 of our last 7 that year. However, other than that I always want the Bills to win.

Do I in my heart of hearts believe Rex will ever take us to a Championship? No. But I have not banged on about firing him this year because as an objective assessment I don't think his 2016 performance has been "sackable" whereas I think his 2015 season was.

I appreciate that.

On a totally different subject, what do you think about Ozil's "performance" against Everton and Man City?

Edited by Peter

On a totally different subject, what do you think about Ozil's "performance" against Everton and Man City?

I thought he was shocking against Everton. I didn't see the Man City game as I had a family event. I haven't been back and watched it for reasons I am sure you appreciate.

It is interesting how you left out the items that BmarvB listed that those who want to give Rex a fair chance consider.

What, to you, is a "fair chance"? The guy now has had years as a head coach for evaluation which any unbiased observer has to admit is nothing if not mediocre. We also have years of his defenders making the excuses that he's had bad GMs, that injuries undermined otherwise great teams, that ownership was never fully supportive, etc. At some point, don't we have to acknowledge that maybe it's not the GMs, not the injuries, not the ownership that's "conspiring" to keep Rex from his rightful place as one of the greatest HCs of all time but Rex himself who's the cause of this endless history of mediocrity?

At some point, the unbiased observer has to "fish or cut bait." In my opinion, Rex has had far more of a "fair chance" than most HCs would ever get. The only HC who's had more of a "fair chance" than Ryan is Jeff Fisher, another guy who was always going to get everything clicking just as soon as he had the right GM, the right players, the franchise QB, ad infinitum. Time to send Rex out to pasture with him.

I thought he was shocking against Everton. I didn't see the Man City game as I had a family event. I haven't been back and watched it for reasons I am sure you appreciate.

Indeed on both counts.

I really hope that we do not allow him to hold us ransom. Every time he talks about going back to Real, I think we should accommodate him. To paraphrase, he plays when he wants to . . . .

What, to you, is a "fair chance"? The guy now has had years as a head coach for evaluation which any unbiased observer has to admit is nothing if not mediocre. We also have years of his defenders making the excuses that he's had bad GMs, that injuries undermined otherwise great teams, that ownership was never fully supportive, etc. At some point, don't we have to acknowledge that maybe it's not the GMs, not the injuries, not the ownership that's "conspiring" to keep Rex from his rightful place as one of the greatest HCs of all time but Rex himself who's the cause of this endless history of mediocrity?

At some point, the unbiased observer has to "fish or cut bait." In my opinion, Rex has had far more of a "fair chance" than most HCs would ever get. The only HC who's had more of a "fair chance" than Ryan is Jeff Fisher, another guy who was always going to get everything clicking just as soon as he had the right GM, the right players, the franchise QB, ad infinitum. Time to send Rex out to pasture with him.

I have posted several posts on this subject. In short, I respectfully disagree that Rex has been given a fair chance if he is fired after just two years with the depth of injuries that we have had, the suspensions, substandard QB play. This is especially so given that he has been our most successful coach in 17 years. It would be self defeating to fire him for those reasons and the message that it would send to any prospective in demand candidates.

Edited by Peter

The

Vote on firing Rex

poll is 60/40 keep him with nearly 300 votes. With the general tone on this board being negative, that means it's probably 2 to 1 keep him, despite the 7-7 record and no playoffs. I argue that when push comes to shove, 2 out of 3 fans simply do not want to see a complete restart again. What do you think the reason is? I don't know how many posters are on TBD, but 300 is a significant number of votes.

Ummm, why did there need to be another thread to discuss an ongoing thread right below this? Isnt that what the comments section is in the Poll thread is for in the first place?

Those of us who have lived through Jim Ringo (3-20), Harvey Johnson twice (2-23), John Rauch (7-20), Kay Stephenson (10-26) and Hank Bullough (4-17) don't automatically assume a new coach will be better than Rex.

Convince Cowher or Dungy to come out of retirement and I'm all for a coaching change.

But, otherwise, I lean toward continuity.

How sad that those guys can actually make Kay Stephenson look relatively good...... :(