Curious re passing statistics

tbonehawaii

Who cares if we rank 31/32 in passing yards. If we want to rank 15th in passing yards odds are we wont be 1st in rushing. To rank higher in passing you have to pass. We dont. By design.

If you want to change the design you'll probably have to change the HC/OC. WhIch may very well happen.

But to your point. Right now tyrod has 20 combined TD which puts him around 15th for scoring by a QB.

We're a mediocre offense in general. We're a running team and struggle when we can't run. We don't have any quick hitting passing game, very little screen game (long developing TE/RB screens are the only i recall seeing).

Those are little "free" yards a lot of QBs get for teams that can't run it as well. WR screens, RB screens, bubble screens, little drag and slant routes.

Edited by dneveu

Who cares if we rank 31/32 in passing yards. If we want to rank 15th in passing yards odds are we wont be 1st in rushing. To rank higher in passing you have to pass. We dont. By design.

If you want to change the design you'll probably have to change the HC/OC. WhIch may very well happen.

But to your point. Right now tyrod has 20 combined TD which puts him around 15th for scoring by a QB.

Yes, but you are one of the very few people on this board who realizes this and openly admits it. Most people here put 99% of blame of low passing production on Tyrod while ignoring every single other factor.

Meanwhile ESPN, who has no dog in this fight, has him ranked 12th overall.

If I had to choose, I wouldn't complain about sacrificing some rushing (a smaller piece in flipping the field or scoring) for passing rank.

But to counter your assertion that we would have to sacrifice one for the other I'd argue that having a more effective passing game would extend drives, reduce 3 and outs, let us play with more leads and keep defenses honest... it would potentially be a rising tide for all offensive stats and not necessarily a trade off

Edited by NoSaint

If I had to choose, I wouldn't complain about sacrificing some rushing (a smaller piece in flipping the field or scoring) for passing rank.

But to counter your assertion that we would have to sacrifice one for the other I'd argue that having a more effective passing game would extend drives, reduce 3 and outs, let us play with more leads and keep defenses honest... it would potentially be a rising tide for all offensive stats and not necessarily a trade off

For all the talk about 3 and outs - we're 14th in the league in 3rd down conversion %. 22nd on defense.

It's a passing league. By not passing a lot, you miss out on big penalties that come from refs who want to call PI.

Additionally, with a better passing attack, it would open up the run game even more. You won't have 8 guys in the box. Our run game is great with crappy teams. But in a game like Pittsburgh where we need to run the ball, they didn't respect our passing game and we couldn't run the ball.

I wonder what it was before yesterday. Were there any 3 and outs yesterday at all?

I was wondering the same thing. I saw us as a bottom 5 team a couple weeks ago in 3 and outs.

I wonder what it was before yesterday. Were there any 3 and outs yesterday at all?

shortest was 5 plays. id imagine it skewed it some for the season... but its a pretty large sample size through 14 of 16 games so im starting to ease off worrying about that some

Sporting Charts has us 24th in the NFL with a 22.52% three-and-out rate.

I was just going to post this. I don't know where people are getting the other information.

Also, it would be cool to know what our average 3rd down yardage is. I would bet because of our run tendencies, it would probably be one of the lowest in the league. I think it is very rare that Tyrod had long distances to convert.

I was just going to post this. I don't know where people are getting the other information.

Also, it would be cool to know what our average 3rd down yardage is. I would bet because of our run tendencies, it would probably be one of the lowest in the league. I think it is very rare that Tyrod had long distances to convert.

I posted their 3rd down conversion %, not their 3 and out %. Sorry for the confusion.

It's a passing league. By not passing a lot, you miss out on big penalties that come from refs who want to call PI.

Additionally, with a better passing attack, it would open up the run game even more. You won't have 8 guys in the box. Our run game is great with crappy teams. But in a game like Pittsburgh where we need to run the ball, they didn't respect our passing game and we couldn't run the ball.

I was wondering the same thing. I saw us as a bottom 5 team a couple weeks ago in 3 and outs.

My thing is - its pretty clear we struggle with the blitz - especially well disguised blitzes. So we need some hot plays to call to get the ball out in the flats quicker. This is like - not in the playbook for our offense though.

Edited by dneveu

I posted their 3rd down conversion %, not their 3 and out %. Sorry for the confusion.

My thing is - its pretty clear we struggle with the blitz - especially well disguised blitzes. So we need some hot plays to call to get the ball out in the flats quicker. This is like - not in the playbook for our offense though.

It's all good. I misunderstood as well. I don't think Tyrod is a guy who makes quick reads. He loves to hold the ball and struggles to see the field from the pocket.

I'm not sure he can ever fully improve on this.

It's all good. I misunderstood as well. I don't think Tyrod is a guy who makes quick reads. He loves to hold the ball and struggles to see the field from the pocket.

I'm not sure he can ever fully improve on this.

That's why I'd focus on pre-snap reads, play action, and screen passes. Pittsburgh did a great job against us of hiding the blitz, and spying the QB. You have to beat this by getting hte ball outside fast with WR swings and bubble screens. Use their stunting ends against them.

How hard is it to look over and see sammy with a 10 yard cushion, hold your hand up, and chuck it his way. If he breaks a tackle its an easy 10. If he starts cheating up to prevent this, you beat them over the top.

Edited by dneveu

I realize we are ranked 31-32 in terms of passing yards per game. If QB rushing yards were added to the passing yards of all QB's I wonder where we would rank?

Ask and you shall receive...

I combined QB rushing and passing yards and rushing and passing TDs to see how that affects Tyrod's numbers.

Out of the 29 NFL Quarterbacks that have more than 2,000 yards to this point in the season, Tyrod ranks 20th in

Total Combined Yards and 18th in Total Combined TDs.

QB Total Combined Yards and TDs (Passing and Rushing)

Yds TDs

​Brees 4,578 36

Ryan 4,442 32

Cousins 4,104 25

Rodgers 4,095 35

Wentz 3,995 15

Luck 3,953 28

Stafford 3,926 23

Dalton 3,892 20

Wilson 3,830 17

Flacco 3,807 21

Rivers 3,807 23