If Rex is fired, does a team hire him as DC?

YoloinOhio

I am not sure he can be a studio guy with that nasty neck scar. I know that sounds stupid but it is still TV and looks matter.

My guess is he ends up in college. I can't see him going back to being a DC. But as a HC of a bottom tier Power 5 team, I could see someone take a chance on him.

never noticed the neck scar!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some teams would reach out and he'd seriously consider it... just to prove a point. He seems hell bent on showing the Ryan D works.

Ego would be the only thing that brought him back if he was asked. But like some others, I think he ends up on TV having fun and pulling in 2 big paychecks for a few years.

I think some teams would reach out and he'd seriously consider it... just to prove a point. He seems hell bent on showing the Ryan D works.

Some team would def consider it. I'd say the Colts were a candidate, but their D has improved over the 1/2nd half of the season. I still see Rex saying "no thanks" and going into broadcasting, or just chilling with his money.

Some team would def consider it. I'd say the Colts were a candidate, but their D has improved over the 1/2nd half of the season. I still see Rex saying "no thanks" and going into broadcasting, or just chilling with his money.

I don't see Rex's ego allowing him to fade quietly into retirement if he has other options like TV.

TV is a perfect fit. I'd see him doing a decent John madden impression.

D.C. Is possible but it would need to be a coach who doesn't mind the talking.

College HC might be there in the cards too, but I don't see it.

My take- He can rationalize his way to claiming he was a successful coach because his defense genius branding, Ravens Super Bowl and first Jets season, call it a day and get in front of a camera where he seems happiest.

He was a successful DC before becoming a HC and a pretty common pattern with HCs being fired is they go back into a coordinator role. I know he previously said this was his last stop. But he says a lot of things. I wonder if he would still want to coach to try to prove the "family name" and that the scheme works because he's so stubborn with it. And if he does, would another team want him?

In my opinion, Rex is given another chance somewhere to be a Defensive Coordinator, but do I think he will be successful? I really don't think so....I truly believe Rex's coaching career is an example of perfect timing where the right players were in attendance for him to make his Defense work...and in Baltimore he was a part of staff who also had incredible, including Hall of Fame, players that allowed the system to work. So, I'd say IF (and God I hope so) he's fired, he finds a DC job at some point in 2017 or 2018, and I do think he loves football and loves to be around the men who play the game - so, IMHO, I think he takes that job....

I dont see him going anywhere as a HC again. He has no consistent track record of success. Ever.

And I feel like his ego is too big to be a DC and have to actually be held accountable.

Hes a sloppy mess of a person, and his teams are undisciplined. The only thing hes got that still works is his mouth, and that barely got him through 2yrs of a 5yr contract.

Just enjoy the twilight of this dinosaur until the comet comes.

Edited by Captain_Quint

Pagano seems to like him. Another place I could see him going is Arizona. I honestly don't know who their DC is now but they've underperformed to expectations. I could see he and Arians working together because similar personalities and I think Arians would hand over the defense completely. Also, they probably want to see if they can get anything out of Nkemdiche going forward. That's the one place I could see. Edited by YoloinOhio