Proton beam therapy

Steve O

Anyone go or know of anyone that went this route for their cancer treatment? Particular interested as it relates to prostate (happy 60th to me) but interested in others as well, positive and especially negative results appreciated. Talked to a few people that went for the prostatectomy but no one who went through beam therapy. All who went through the prostatectomy are doing fine but, while not a vital organ, the prostate sure is useful. We've been together for 60 years and I don't want to say goodbye if alternatives are realistic.

Might not be able to check for replies until tomorrow so thanks in advance to all who respond.

Edited by Steve O

I have no clue about proton beam therapy, but if you're facing prostrate cancer, then you have my most sincere best wishes for beating it.

Thank you I will beat it. Got it early. Near 100% chance of dying from something else if I opt for the prostatectomy. Just want to know more about alternatives. Everything I've read on the beam alternative sounds promising but is understandably biased.

Sure did; only the tumor in question was in my daughter's head. After a successful resection, the good folks at Yale and Sloan Kettering recommended the proton route for post-surgery radiation to ensure all the little cancer f--kers near the tumor were zapped. We read up on it and it seemed to make sense to target the beam instead of having it just plow through healthy brain tissue in a 2 year old. Of course, proton isn't available everywhere so we spent six weeks making a daily trip to the ProCure center in Central NJ.

To beat the ridiculous NJ traffic we'd get down there by 7am every morning with my daughter still in her PJs, running around the huge waiting room and entertaining the other patients -- who were all 60+ yo guys there for prostate treatment. So it certainly seems to be a popular option for that problem.

We gave the whole process very high marks and the result couldn't have gone better. 3 years later we're still looking clear.

Sure did; only the tumor in question was in my daughter's head. After a successful resection, the good folks at Yale and Sloan Kettering recommended the proton route for post-surgery radiation to ensure all the little cancer f--kers near the tumor were zapped. We read up on it and it seemed to make sense to target the beam instead of having it just plow through healthy brain tissue in a 2 year old. Of course, proton isn't available everywhere so we spent six weeks making a daily trip to the ProCure center in Central NJ.

To beat the ridiculous NJ traffic we'd get down there by 7am every morning with my daughter still in her PJs, running around the huge waiting room and entertaining the other patients -- who were all 60+ yo guys there for prostate treatment. So it certainly seems to be a popular option for that problem.

We gave the whole process very high marks and the result couldn't have gone better. 3 years later we're still looking clear.

WOW, what a great story (other than the f#%$^ing tumor in your daughters head, of course). Medicine these days can do some amazing stuff. Nothing better than helping a young child!

Thanks...quite a bit over my head, the demographic of the article is doctors not patients. Still was able to learn quite a bit from it. Thanks again for the link.

Appreciate your sharing of the testimonial. Glad it worked for your daughter. Hope her worst days are behind her and that she'll grow up with no recollection of those days.

What he said! Good luck!

Thanks

Edited by Steve O

My daughter is a dosimetrist. Not sure she uses proton beam (probably does) but the focused use of radiation to destroy tumors and limit collateral damage is her job.

Just don't cross the streams and you'll be fine.

No, you're thinking of an entirely different technology.

The key with proton beam therapy is to make sure the machine is running at 1.21 gigawatts.

Good luck to the original poster or whoever has the cancer!

Cancer sucks!

I do not have the expertise to comment on PBT but I will add some new therapies that are available or may soon be available for prostate cancer. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis but hope you have good results. You have a great attitude about it.

WOW, what a great story (other than the f#%$^ing tumor in your daughters head, of course). Medicine these days can do some amazing stuff. Nothing better than helping a young child!

Yup; we met a ton of really amazing people who were involved in her care during the process.

Thanks...quite a bit over my head, the demographic of the article is doctors not patients. Still was able to learn quite a bit from it. Thanks again for the link.

Appreciate your sharing of the testimonial. Glad it worked for your daughter. Hope her worst days are behind her and that she'll grow up with no recollection of those days.

Thanks

Thanks. She's doing great and actually mentions the experience frequently but in a very matter of fact way. She was the best patient ever. Good luck to you too Steve!

My daughter is a dosimetrist. Not sure she uses proton beam (probably does) but the focused use of radiation to destroy tumors and limit collateral damage is her job.

It sounds like they can do a lot with the traditional radiation these days too. Plus the proton is crazy expensive so that's a real issue. I believe there are still a limited number of places in the country that do proton.

Anyone go or know of anyone that went this route for their cancer treatment? Particular interested as it relates to prostate (happy 60th to me) but interested in others as well, positive and especially negative results appreciated. Talked to a few people that went for the prostatectomy but no one who went through beam therapy. All who went through the prostatectomy are doing fine but, while not a vital organ, the prostate sure is useful. We've been together for 60 years and I don't want to say goodbye if alternatives are realistic.

Might not be able to check for replies until tomorrow so thanks in advance to all who respond.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/11/30/man-cured-prostate-cancer-doctors-shock-tumour-death-testosterone/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_fb

Yup; we met a ton of really amazing people who were involved in her care during the process.

Thanks. She's doing great and actually mentions the experience frequently but in a very matter of fact way. She was the best patient ever. Good luck to you too Steve!

It sounds like they can do a lot with the traditional radiation these days too. Plus the proton is crazy expensive so that's a real issue. I believe there are still a limited number of places in the country that do proton.

My wife was on the Board at St Jude Children's Hospital for years. That stuff will melt the heart of..... anyone with a heart. I tear up just thinking about it. Such an amazing mission and so many families and lives affected. Her father helped Danny Thomas when he was trying to make his dream become a reality. You can make a ton of money, or be crazy famous, but that can't stand up against the people who dedicate their lives to saving children, helping their families and making the world so much better.

I don't know anything about proton beam therapy, but if we can be of any help please let me know.

Edited by Augie

Thanks, that was interesting. The long-believed notion that reducing testosterone levels to treat prostrate cancer may be debunked for certain types of prostrate cancer.

Thanks, that was interesting. The long-believed notion that reducing testosterone levels to treat prostrate cancer may be debunked for certain types of prostrate cancer.

yep, I've read the same thing in other places. Typically they give you testosterone suppressors and you can kiss your sex life goodbye

Spoke to my daughter. She said there have been studies that said Proton Beam therapy is no more effective than regular (photon-based) therapies in most situations. (She said there are a few very narrow cases where it's better.) But Proton Beam therapy is way, way more expensive.