Passing Game Coordinator?

The BIlls offense has a really good running game and a really bad passing game. Going into the Jax game, I think we were ranked #1 and #32 respectively.

Clearly TT needs to shoulder some of the blame. And I'm not opposed to shopping for an upgrade. But is it all on Tyrod?

We're still running Roman's playbook and Roman had a certain genius for drawing up running plays and developing a strong rushing attack. He wasn't as adept developing an aerial attack.

Anthony Lynn is a former high school/college/professional RB who then became a RB coach.

How likely is Lynn, given his background, to create a potent passing attack to complement our already potent running game? If we go into 2017 with TT under center again, is Lynn really going to figure out how to get the most out of him?

Maybe Rex should hire a passing game coordinator to work with Lynn next year when Lynn creates his own offensive playbook.

I don't know if it has changed since Roman got fired, but David Lee was the passing game coordinator and Roman was the run game coordinator. So that may still be the set up with Lynn.

On the Bills website they only list Lee as the QB coach. But you may be right. If so, he's not showing a lot of aptitude for it.

On the Bills website they only list Lee as the QB coach. But you may be right. If so, he's not showing a lot of aptitude for it.

I honestly don't understand why the coach would be to blame for a lack of passing attack when the QB is constantly not throwing the ball on passing downs. I guess it's possible that the coaches could be responsible if their game plan is so conservative that they are celebrating Taylor on the sidelines for not risking it and throwing it away on multiple 3rd downs per game, but that feels like a stretch.

it was mentioned either in a press conference, interview or article shortly after Rex's staff was announced. But not talked about much after that (that I've seen).

Just did a quick google search - from Jan 2015

Buffalo Bills' Greg Roman to focus mostly on run, per report

There are indications that the Buffalo Bills may be splitting run and pass game responsibilities up between their new-look coaching staff. Is this something that should worry fans?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/bills-news-notes/2015/1/27/7920947/buffalo-bills-greg-roman-offense-david-lee-sanjay-lal-passing-game?client=safari

Edited by YoloinOhio

I just see no attempt at quick timing routes. By Tyrod. By anyone. No Screens. No bunch formations. It's all so bleah.

Watching Brady hit his first read for 5 yards, and then seeing them get a couple yards after frustrates me.

This ^ I tend to agree with the OP's point that Lynn while well versed in the run game might not be suited to creating a potent passing attack. Some of the issues I've had with our passing game the last several years still exist. You are correct in the fact that we rarely run screens, and short timing routes. Once Sammy is playing the entire game this will infuriate me further. He's a guy who needs the ball in his hands. I don't think we've thrown a screen pass to him his entire career. We need to use the extended handoff type passes to get him the ball. When you have a guy like Sammy, you get him the ball like you would a running back. That being said, I doubt it will happen.

I honestly don't understand why the coach would be to blame for a lack of passing attack when the QB is constantly not throwing the ball on passing downs. I guess it's possible that the coaches could be responsible if their game plan is so conservative that they are celebrating Taylor on the sidelines for not risking it and throwing it away on multiple 3rd downs per game, but that feels like a stretch.

Not a stretch at all. That is Rex's style and philosophy.

It would be really interesting to sit in on practices every week and see how well the passing game is being executed in those practices. I am guessing that it isn't being executed well either in practice or on the field during a game. And if that is the case, then it is on the coaches to fix it. Good coaches develop schemes/plays that fit their players. Bad coaches force players to keep trying to execute plays that those players have proven they can't execute well.

The coaches are supposed to figure out what plays their players can execute reliably. And figure out why those plays work. And then adjust his playbook/playcalling to put the players in the right situations where they can execute well during the game.

The coaches most certainly share SOME of the blame for an ineffective passing game.

Here's why:

I just see no attempt at quick timing routes. By Tyrod. By anyone. No Screens. No bunch formations. It's all so bleah.

Watching Brady hit his first read for 5 yards, and then seeing them get a couple yards after frustrates me.

There's not doubt talent matters. Tyrod clearly has some limitations regards to talent.

But there's also no doubt that coaching matters. So if we can't find a better QB, maybe we need a better coach for the passing game.

The BIlls offense has a really good running game and a really bad passing game. Going into the Jax game, I think we were ranked #1 and #32 respectively.

Clearly TT needs to shoulder some of the blame. And I'm not opposed to shopping for an upgrade. But is it all on Tyrod?

We're still running Roman's playbook and Roman had a certain genius for drawing up running plays and developing a strong rushing attack. He wasn't as adept developing an aerial attack.

Anthony Lynn is a former high school/college/professional RB who then became a RB coach.

How likely is Lynn, given his background, to create a potent passing attack to complement our already potent running game? If we go into 2017 with TT under center again, is Lynn really going to figure out how to get the most out of him?

Maybe Rex should hire a passing game coordinator to work with Lynn next year when Lynn creates his own offensive playbook.

Thats a cool idea. Who was it that ran the Rams passing attack when Warner was the QB there? Mike Martz? IDK but a pass game guru is a good idea. Or a QB whisperer

The QB completed 66% of his passes to 7 different receivers, threw for a TD, ran for a TD and had a QB rating of 115. The Offense had 4 TD drives and again raised their season PPG to new heights. They were 3/3 in the Red Zone.

Keep banging that drum though.. I need to be entertained...

The QB completed 66% of his passes to 7 different receivers, threw for a TD, ran for a TD and had a QB rating of 115. The Offense had 4 TD drives and again raised their season PPG to new heights. They were 3/3 in the Red Zone.

Facts, like I don't think people realize what we are actually fielding at the WR position haha. The Bills seriously are fielding practice squad WR's and have been all year. The thing that frustrates me the most is how the coaching staff is not creating ways to get TT to throw down the middle of the field. He's in his 2nd year and it's just becoming annoying that they are being so complacent with nothing but sideline throws.

Well, if you want stats: Only three teams have passing attacks so pathetic that they're averaging less than 200 yards per game. The Bills are the worst of the three at 183 passing yards per game.

QB ratings are about efficiency but I'm talking about productivity. To score you have to "matriculate" the ball down the field, as a HOF coach once said. In other words, yards matter. Our passing game isn't producing many.

Of course, we're a running team. We don't pass as much as other teams. So that partially explains our low yardage output.

But defenses know we're a running team and play run first. So we ought to find success when we do pass. Yet we average a paltry 6.7 yards per attempt. That's 7th worst in the NFL.

Since we are a run first team, I wouldn't expect our aerial production to be top ten in the NFL. But dead last is sad.

We are 8th in the NFL in points per game...what's the problem?

Do you see 8th in the NFL quality WRs on this team? Especially when Sammy was out all those games?

Well, if you want stats: Only three teams have passing attacks so pathetic that they're averaging less than 200 yards per game. The Bills are the worst of the three at 183 passing yards per game.

QB ratings are about efficiency but I'm talking about productivity. To score you have to "matriculate" the ball down the field, as a HOF coach once said. In other words, yards matter. Our passing game isn't producing many.

Of course, we're a running team. We don't pass as much as other teams. So that partially explains our low yardage output.

But defenses know we're a running team and play run first. So we ought to find success when we do pass. Yet we average a paltry 6.7 yards per attempt. That's 7th worst in the NFL.

Since we are a run first team, I wouldn't expect our aerial production to be top ten in the NFL. But dead last is sad.

We do score...a lot...more than most teams.

Would you rather be like the Bears or Browns or Bengals or Jags or....you know--teams with a lot more YPG, but low scoring offenses? That's a strange complaint.

The Bills have just moved UP to 8th in PPG. Cheer up. In football, that's a good thing.