Why is Rex still lost on defense?

Yeezus

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hard to believe the defense is struggling this much because AW is done.

Or are we missing the other future HOF Searcy that much too?

AW is very good and Jonathan Meeks is very bad. It isn't just that Aaron Williams is a good NFL player, it's that the guys behind him couldn't play in the CFL. The gap between Williams to Blanton/Meeks is a chasm. Ihedigbo looked like he had a pulse so Maybe he is an upgrade. That has really hurt the defense though.

I don't understand. He finally had a healthy front 7, and before Darby got hurt only 1 player missing in the secondary

this is a healthy defense. Why does he still leave the corners 1 on 1

How come our Dline barely gets pressure on the QB anymore. What the hell is going on?? Why does Rex get 3 years to fix this defense when it looks worse every single week? Is his scheme outdated, has it been figured out?

What happened to the exotic formations and blitz packages that confuses QB's, we play the most vanilla defense ever. Is that bc the players suck or Rex can't coach anymore? His defense was awful in NY the last 3 or so years there. They blamed the players, he comes here and it looks no different..maybe even worse with our bad run defense

If we had a top 10 or even 15 defense we would easily have 2-3 more wins. Jets, Miami, Seattle games all come to mind.

From what I seen today the defense was ranked 12th and after today should be ranked higher.

If we had middling pass attack, like 20th, we most definitely would have a couple more wins. Whole lot of passing TDs left out there each and every week and yes it is affecting the outcomes of the games.

AW is very good and Jonathan Meeks is very bad. It isn't just that Aaron Williams is a good NFL player, it's that the guys behind him couldn't play in the CFL. The gap between Williams to Blanton/Meeks is a chasm. Ihedigbo looked like he had a pulse so Maybe he is an upgrade. That has really hurt the defense though.

Big time!

I agree.

The safety's behind AW are a joke, but if the defense is so predicated on strong safety play they !@#$ed up royally thinking Aaron Williams would be good all year.

However, I don't think the defense being average to this point is because they lost AW. I think the scheme/coaching underperforming has a lot to do with it.

I agree for sure. There are multiple factors (I'm not a fan of Rex's defensive philosophy).

From what I seen today the defense was ranked 12th and after today should be ranked higher.

If we had middling pass attack, like 20th, we most definitely would have a couple more wins. Whole lot of passing TDs left out there each and every week and yes it is affecting the outcomes of the games.

how should they be ranked higher? They gave up over 20 points to a mediocre/bad Jags offence that was able to run well on them. Ranking them higher then 12th would almost put them into the top 3rd in the league, they are not top 3td in the league....

Odd day today for the defense. Need to be better on 3rd down next week but the couple of big plays that really hurt were Bortles scrambling.

However, the secondary continued their upswing for the most part, Dareus has a monster game and we made some crucial plays at the end.

I just worry next week how we will get Oakland off the field. If it turns into a shootout we can't keep pace with them.

I'm bringing up solid facts

It's funny bc you fans are so delusional you can't even bring up good counter arguements

All you do is tell me to stop posting, which shows what I'm saying is 100% correct

I wonder if the slide in defense has anything to do with Rex giving up play calling duties to DT. Maybe it's not so much Rex.

The gameplan today was the problem. They just didn't account for Bortles scrambling. I would've played more zone to keep that in check plus, Bortles throws it up for grabs a lot and I'd rather have my DBs facing the quarterback.

But what do I know.

Oh also, something seems off with Hughes the last two weeks, like I wonder if he's hurt.

they gave up 21 points and they won. The safety play has been a mess for two years. I am a Whaley fan but he has to go out and use some resources this offseason on the position .

I am a Whaley supporter. Safety seems important for Rex for many reasons. So, I was dissappointed in the offseason and still am with not bringing in more options for Safety. I know you can't predict injuries and you can not be deep at all positions. But, Aaron Williams played half the season and is out. It was quite possible he wouldn't even play one game. IMO we were in a very bad position with Safety. AW is the only quality safety on the roster and Graham is serviceable. The others are below average or bad. An this is an important position and we don't have two legit starters when everyone is healthy.

What would our record be if AW never played a game this year?

The gameplan today was the problem. They just didn't account for Bortles scrambling. I would've played more zone to keep that in check plus, Bortles throws it up for grabs a lot and I'd rather have my DBs facing the quarterback.

But what do I know.

Oh also, something seems off with Hughes the last two weeks, like I wonder if he's hurt.

That thought crossed my mind, but I noticed that he's only rushing the passer from left side of the formation against the RTs. It's like his rushing mechanics are better when he's lined up against the left tackle, as odd as that may sound.