New PI penalty idea.

dayman

Would you support the following change?

Pass interference is now a 15 yard penalty, or half the distance from the spot foul, whichever is greater. Additionally, refs my make it a spot foul if they call it intentional and/or flagarant.

Edited by dayman

The current rule is a mess. I hate a 50 yard penalty on some iffy, ticky tack foul. This would allow some discretion where it's clearly intentional. Hey, it's just a new way to get mad at the refs! Why not?

Edited by Augie

While I like the idea, the problem is they're trying to make it easier on the officials, not harder. That's one reason a face mask is a 15 yarder, the refs no longer have to decide on whether it's flagrant.

As for the college rule, forget it. The receivers will get mugged on every long pass.

I think that the illegal contact rule would be worth revisiting as I believe if they allowed contact down the field on receivers, you'd have less deep zone coverage, and less players being dismembered by a player sitting back in zone and making a read.

As far as PI calls, the officials should be talking with officials off the field in a studio to discuss questionable calls as well as replays.

Not exactly what I think the answer would be, but I think you're heading in the right direction.

I'm not sure what the right change would be, but would we really want to give these refs more autonomy?

Especially when they couldn't spot an INTENTIONAL Roughing the Kicker

15 yards for PI unless it's deemed an egregious spot foul (dragging down a receiver to prevent a TD), which would be like 5% of PI calls. I've been saying this for like five years now. Completely agree. A PI call should not give the offense as many yards as an actual catch. It's an absurd rule.

Edited by metzelaars_lives