Longevity in HC who do you choose?

PatsFanNH

I was just thinking the teams that are consistently good all the time are BOT constantly replacing the GM and HC like:

Pittsburg: they are always a good team for as long as I can remember and they don't recycle coaches or GM much at all. (I do believe they retire the HC )

Green Bay: Consistently good (lucky too going from Fabre to Rogers) but also don't recycle coaches as often as other franchises.

Sad the only two I can come up with off the top of my head as consistent winners throughout the years.

So my question is who would you choose be your HC and GM long term for the Bills? You can't be wushu eashy and Knox him after a year must give him at least 5 years.

If I was the Bills I want:

HC: Jim Harbaugh -- he is better than his brother and IMO be one top 5 HC in the NFL.

GM -- ?? I suck knowing good GMs but Harbaugh may want that in order to go to Buffalo.

Edited by PatsFanNH

I think the problem with Harbaugh is you do NOT get longevity. From all we hear from media, players, and even people he has worked with, and what we have actually seen, he seems to wear out is welcome pretty quickly.

Even if you think that isn't exactly true, the fact is he does change jobs pretty often. I think he is not the guy you look for if you want one of those 6+ year coaches.

I think the problem with Harbaugh is you do NOT get longevity. From all we hear from media, players, and even people he has worked with, and what we have actually seen, he seems to wear out is welcome pretty quickly.

Even if you think that isn't exactly true, the fact is he does change jobs pretty often. I think he is not the guy you look for if you want one of those 6+ year coaches.

True. Jim Harbaugh is a short termist Head Coach. Hire his brother.

as you stated to start the thread the bad organizations hit reset every 2 years, we used to be that bad organizations. We arent anymore see it through Rex is coming back. This board would have wanted McCarthy fired after going 6-10 or Tomlin when he went 8-8 in 2012 AND 2013 NO improvement !!...or Harbaugh 5-11. New Orleans hasn't won in 4 years

I was just thinking the teams that are consistently good all the time are BOT constantly replacing the GM and HC like:

Pittsburg: they are always a good team for as long as I can remember and they don't recycle coaches or GM much at all. (I do believe they retire the HC )

Green Bay: Consistently good (lucky too going from Fabre to Rogers) but also don't recycle coaches as often as other franchises.

Sad the only two I can come up with off the top of my head as consistent winners throughout the years.

So my question is who would you choose be your HC and GM long term for the Bills? You can't be wushu eashy and Knox him after a year must give him at least 5 years.

If I was the Bills I want:

HC: Jim Harbaugh -- he is better than his brother and IMO be one top 5 HC in the NFL.

GM -- ?? I suck knowing good GMs but Harbaugh may want that in order to go to Buffalo.

You mean teams that are winning consistently don't clean house and shake things up for the fun of it?!?!? Such insight.

This topic has been hashed to death so let me sum it up for you. Continuity is definitely a byproduct of winning. You don't fix what isn't broke. Winning, however, is not necessarily a byproduct of continuity and lack of continuity does not necessarily guarantee losing.

as you stated to start the thread the bad organizations hit reset every 2 years, we used to be that bad organizations. We arent anymore see it through Rex is coming back. This board would have wanted McCarthy fired after going 6-10 or Tomlin when he went 8-8 in 2012 AND 2013 NO improvement !!...or Harbaugh 5-11. New Orleans hasn't won in 4 years

We were never that organization.

You mean teams that are winning consistently don't clean house and shake things up for the fun of it?!?!? Such insight.

This topic has been hashed to death so let me sum it up for you. Continuity is definitely a byproduct of winning. You don't fix what isn't broke. Winning, however, is not necessarily a byproduct of continuity and lack of continuity does not necessarily guarantee losing.

Pitt has stayed the course even through losing, same with GB. Maybe their owner just trust his hires better than other owners.

The teams that keep their head coaches the longest usually have established front offices and scouting departments already in place when they hire a new head coach and thus the success.

New England- Bill Belichick-2000 Belichick was hired on the heels of Bill Parcells / Pete Carroll and the former was able to make changes in the scouting dept for the better. Belichick was also given the GM job along with being HC

Cincy- Marvin Lewis-2003 Mike Brown / owner / president / GM says it all.

Green Bay 2006- Mike McCarty-2006 - GM Ted Thompson hired McCarthy and he has been with the Packers since 2005

New Orleans- Sean Payton-2006-GM Mickey Loomis since 2002

Pittsburgh- Mike Tomlin-2007- VP & GM Kevin Colbert. the bigger picture here is the Rooney family have been involved in all the team's functions and Chairman Dan Rooney since 1969.

Baltimore-John Harbaugh-2008- GM & Exec VP Ozzie Newsome is the man

Seattle-Pete Carroll-2010- Hired to be both GM & HC along with John Schneider as exec VP-GM. Mike Holmgren also made a lot of changes to the org while HC in his 10 years there.

Dallas-Jason Garrett-2010- Jerry Jones owner / president / GM says it all and this team was losing until Jerry's son Stephan helped guide the team's future starting in 2010. Bill Parcells was also there 2003-2006 to help build the scouting dept.

The Buffalo Bills have a marketing / baseball guy at the top of the org as team president who helped the old owner and now helps the new owners make team choices. Until that changes and the team hires a team president of football operations or a HC / GM with enough power to make all the football decisions... revel in the mediocrity!

At this point in time, the only man I think could fill that HC & GM role is Bill Cowher. (who isn't already working for an NFL team) Mike Holmgren is another. Bill Parcells is too old at 75.

Edited by Nihilarian

If they have to be given a minimum of 5 years then give me;

Head Coach - P.J. Fleck

GM - Theo Epstein (I mean, what else does he have to accomplish in the baseball world? I'm sure, given 5 years, he could build a winner in any professional sports league)

I'm no baseball guy to talk about Epstein but I love that coach pick.

The job that PJ has done at WMU has been nothing short of miraculous. A really bright, engaging guy, builds a rapport with his players, heck of a coach. Still only turns 36 in a couple of weeks, I like it as a long term build.

Pitt has stayed the course even through losing, same with GB. Maybe their owner just trust his hires better than other owners.

What bouts of losing has Pittsburgh suffered? They have had 4 losing seasons since 1990, and 3 0.500 seasons. That's 19 winning seasons, 16 playoff appearances, and 2 Super Bowl victories over the last 25 years. It really takes some brass balls to "stay the course" during a run like that.