Interesting tidbit on Rotoworld on Bills pass defense

Taken from Rotoworld, per WGR:

" The Buffalo defense has allowed seven plays of 50 yards or more this season.

That total ties the Bills with the Oakland Raiders for most 50 yard plays allowed in 2016. The Bills currently sit 13th among NFL defenses in pass defense, but big plays have done damage to this group. Buffalo will need to look for a solution to the big play troubles during their bye, as they will return to face A.J. Green, Allen Robinson, Amari Cooper, and Antonio Brown in consecutive weeks. Nov 11 - 4:27 PM "

Don't know what's scarier, the WR we face with big play potential or the fact they have Mario Williams as the face of the Bills D 😬

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2312/bills-defspec-team

More safeties playing cover two, or any safeties who can play cover two. Hell lets go all Jauronesque and bend but don't break for a minute. Keep all the plays in front of the secondary !!

Damnable Bills drive me nutso

When you say "damnable Bills," don't you really mean Rex, Rob, Dennis and Ed? Who will likely be back next year, and the next year, and the next year, ad infinitum, because, well, "continuity," it's the key to success. Maybe not Ed though; why would he want to be associated with this? And probably not Dennis because, see, someone's got to take the beating when the Bills go 4-12 or maybe, if they get lucky, 6-10. So Rex and Rob Forever. I mean, who would get rid of a genius, and when you have two of them, well then, you're really living the high life.

Aaron Williams may have been the most underrated player on this team. They are a much different team when he plays. AW covers a lot of deficiencies.

I kept saying we need to draft a safety and look what happened. People were acting like I wanted to get rid of AW, but I was just pointing at his injury history and how important it is to have a safety in this defense. Oh well... Rex wouldn't have listened either.

When you say "damnable Bills," don't you really mean Rex, Rob, Dennis and Ed? Who will likely be back next year, and the next year, and the next year, ad infinitum, because, well, "continuity," it's the key to success. Maybe not Ed though; why would he want to be associated with this? And probably not Dennis because, see, someone's got to take the beating when the Bills go 4-12 or maybe, if they get lucky, 6-10. So Rex and Rob Forever. I mean, who would get rid of a genius, and when you have two of them, well then, you're really living the high life.

No I do not. But i feel ya.

Bills have been like this regardless who Coaches or who is on the team.

I am not making excuses, but how the heck does a team get so many KEY injuries. and do not tell me depth. I really am amazed when we get rolling how "things" happen to us. The Seahawks game is a great example.

If it wasn't for bad luck, we wouldn't have no luck at all.

I truly feel this way about or Bills.

I do not blame anyone any more. its is just too much too believe at times

I kept saying we need to draft a safety and look what happened. People were acting like I wanted to get rid of AW, but I was just pointing at his injury history and how important it is to have a safety in this defense. Oh well... Rex wouldn't have listened either.

I was one of the posters who though Blanton was going to be a major contributor. I was dead wrong. But I was surely not alone.

We looked overstocked going into the season. Not only that. most of those guys could play corner too.

Hard to draft a safety when you give up picks to move up in the draft and take a QB that is years away from playing if ever.

I'd like to see a list of contributing safeties taken after Cardale Jones in this draft.

In retrospect, moving up to get Ragland sucks because he got hurt and Zach Brown has been lights out. But did anyone rrally expect that out of ZB?

Aaron Williams may have been the most underrated player on this team. They are a much different team when he plays. AW covers a lot of deficiencies.

I guess the story is Lorax and Zach have more than panned out and Blanton has been a bust.

If they were actually counting on AW to be available then that was an awful decision.

And fwiw, AW hasn't made plays for a few years now so replacing him shouldn't have been this difficult.

Been reading the 17 draft is supposed to be strong at safety.

Drafting a safety early this year should help......in 2018 or 2019.

Rex last first rounder in NY was Calvin Pryor and he looked impact ready.......a slam dunk tremendous prospect coming out of college........but he was LOST in Rex D as a rookie.

Drafting for need is usually ill advised but ESPECIALLY at that position in Rex D.

Gotta' take some shots in free agency to find that Jim Leonhard type to replace AW and/or pick up Revis to play safety when the Jets cut him.

I agree. I even seem to remember that he was injured during our great Schwartz-defense year, and that our defense suffered during his absence. Maybe someone more skilled at such research than me could look it up.

I guess the story is Lorax and Zach have more than panned out and Blanton has been a bust.

If they were actually counting on AW to be available then that was an awful decision.

And fwiw, AW hasn't made plays for a few years now so replacing him shouldn't have been this difficult.

Drafting a safety early this year should help......in 2018 or 2019.

Rex last first rounder in NY was Calvin Pryor and he looked impact ready.......a slam dunk tremendous prospect coming out of college........but he was LOST in Rex D as a rookie.

Drafting for need is usually ill advised but ESPECIALLY at that position in Rex D.

Gotta' take some shots in free agency to find that Jim Leonhard type to replace AW and/or pick up Revis to play safety when the Jets cut him.

I was thinking the guy needs to be cerebral and experienced. Why i mentioned Weddle. But they should draft 4teen of them anyways. and seven of them should able to play corner or hybrid LB

Whaley LOVES Mark Barron. The Bills tried to trade up for him in the Gilmore draft. They couldn't get up there so they settled on Gilmore.

There is some humor there i suspect

I am with Badol... even if it is the biggest deficiency on the team I can't get on board with a 1st round safety.

Normally, I would agree with this. In addition this is a deep safety class. It also may be the best safety class that I remember. At the same time I think that it's entirely possible that Malik Hooker ends up as the best football player in this class. His range, athleticism and instincts are off the charts. There are a lot of good to great safeties in this class but Hooker IMO has a chance to be a perennial Pro Bowler and one of the best players on the team.

He was under recruited because he didn't play a lot of football. Luke Fickell recruited him to OSU and he say behind a couple of guys now in the NFL (including a 2nd round pick). Those guys were good players but he is miles ahead of them in the same system. I doubt that he makes it to the Bills pick but if he does I would have no problem pulling the trigger; I would be thrilled.

Good call Beef Jerky. Guys like Jim Leonhard were vital cogs in a Rex Ryan defense. From the outside looking in, a safety who can translate and communicate the defensive calls on the field is a vital piece of this defense. It appears that AW was that guy.