Republicans Control More Than 2/3 of State Legislatures

I mentioned this in another thread, but thought it deserved it's own, because it really is the most profound outcome of this most recent election cycle.

Republicans now control enough of the individual state legislatures that they can actually begin the process of amending the Constitution in meaningful ways which draw out any ambiguity from prior amendments, hard codifying the 1st and 2nd amendments, protecting them from leftist challenges regardless of who sits on the bench for the next few hundred years.

Religious protections, the right to bear arms, abortion...

This is where the culture war should be waged, and won.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree:

The GOP owns the state houses, the house, the senate, the supreme court, the white house.

They run it, they own it. The GOP can no longer blame liberals, blame BO, harp about celebrities and email servers. They must be chomping at the bit to FOCUS and enact their agenda.

You guys need to turn your enthusiasm toward the guys you elected...you have vanquished the opposition...lack of accomplishment can only be attributed to your team at this point.

Edited by baskin

I completely agree:

The GOP owns the state houses, the house, the senate, the supreme court, the white house.

They run it, they own it. The GOP can no longer blame liberals, blame BO, harp about celebrities and email servers. They must be chomping at the bit to FOCUS and enact their agenda.

You guys need to turn your enthusiasm toward the guys you elected...you have vanquished the opposition...lack of accomplishment can only be attributed to your team at this point.

Not a thread about Federal offices or election victories.

Exclusively about state legislatures and amending the Constitution.

Not a thread about Federal offices or election victories.

Exclusively about state legislatures and amending the Constitution.

Oh...we are sticking completely to the thread title....starting.....right.....NOW!

You're forgetting the biggest part of this. County seats. We finally had alcohol on ballots this year here in NC. After many years of still fighting and mccrory in office it took until now. My county can finally sell alcohol despite being republican for a long time

I mentioned this in another thread, but thought it deserved it's own, because it really is the most profound outcome of this most recent election cycle.

Republicans now control enough of the individual state legislatures that they can actually begin the process of amending the Constitution in meaningful ways which draw out any ambiguity from prior amendments, hard codifying the 1st and 2nd amendments, protecting them from leftist challenges regardless of who sits on the bench for the next few hundred years.

Religious protections, the right to bear arms, abortion...

This is where the culture war should be waged, and won.

You're treading on fragile ground here. Yes there are places that need to be protected from left wing activists, but where this 'culture war' conversation usually goes is to two areas that are quicksand for Republicans:

1) Abortion -- it's a settled issue and has been for decades. Swing voters are not interested in outlawing abortion. Let it go.

2) Gay rights/marriage -- America is no longer spooked by homosexuality. Any attempt to restrict homosexuals from doing what heterosexuals can do (specifically, get married), is a bad idea that will only continue to provide ammo for the left.

I get the frustration with the 'bakery is being sued because they didn't want to bake a gay wedding cake' stories and all the phony bull-- about what bathroom to use in NC, but much of that is noise and much of it can be erased with a stroke of the pen once Obama is gone.

I don't know. My legislature (Pennsylvania) is generally shadier than a peach orchard and accomplishes little but collect their own paychecks and bicker over who should sell alcohol in the state.

Anything that requires heavy lifting (pensions, taxes, funding schools and budgets) and these guys can't get on "recess" soon enough.

Giving them the task of amending the constitution is well above their pay grade. You might have to count Penn's Woods out of it.

You're treading on fragile ground here. Yes there are places that need to be protected from left wing activists, but where this 'culture war' conversation usually goes is to two areas that are quicksand for Republicans:

1) Abortion -- it's a settled issue and has been for decades. Swing voters are not interested in outlawing abortion. Let it go.

2) Gay rights/marriage -- America is no longer spooked by homosexuality. Any attempt to restrict homosexuals from doing what heterosexuals can do (specifically, get married), is a bad idea that will only continue to provide ammo for the left.

I get the frustration with the 'bakery is being sued because they didn't want to bake a gay wedding cake' stories and all the phony bull-- about what bathroom to use in NC, but much of that is noise and much of it can be erased with a stroke of the pen once Obama is gone.

Gay marriage in particular...worst that can happen is that the determination ends up back in the hands of the states, where it belongs. If the federal government tries to outlaw it, several states will sue and almost certainly win. If the federal government tries to reverse the federal regulations granting marriage privileges to same-sex couples, same thing - that'll get destroyed in the courts as a violation of due process. If the right tries to go full retard and floats a Constitutional amendment defining marriage...well, that has absolutely NO place in the Constitution, any more than a definition of "age of consent" or state residency requirements, and is pretty much doomed to fail.

Or should be. But the country just saw fit to choose a Cheeto dust golem over the Wicked Witch of the North, so what the hell do I know?

I could care less about Gay rights/marriage. My preferred solution is to get the government out of the marriage business completely.

As far as abortion goes, it's not a settled issue so long as a significant portion of the population believes it to be a murder of convenience.

I agree with you. I'd even go further that absent the fringe on both sides, it's not that important of a topic nationally. IMO, the fringe on both sides keeps it alive because there's money to be made off of being outraged constantly.

I'd be upset if we wasted a once in a lifetime Constitutional Convention on either topic.

I agree with you. I'd even go further that absent the fringe on both sides, it's not that important of a topic nationally. IMO, the fringe on both sides keeps it alive because there's money to be made off of being outraged constantly.

I'd be upset if we wasted a once in a lifetime Constitutional Convention on either topic.

What issues would you like to see advanced in this once in a lifetime window?