Syracuse Hoops 2016-17

The Poojer

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its incredulous that Boeheim actually said he had a good team this year. He NEVER gives his team any praise. The second he does, they bomb.

I pay attention to this thread because I really want SU to come to Buffalo because it helps business. On page 3, I thought this was a sure thing. WTF.

Haha, okay so I was wrong, brutal game to watch. This Cuse team has some serious problems. That was not a good Ucon team. Hopefully JB figures this thing out.

I could accept that, except they are really good. There is no excuse for them to go so cold on offense with all those scorers.

Part of the issue is that they seem to fall in love with the 3 too much.

Uggh....on a train headed back home as I write this. Obviously a horrendous performance last night. No semblance of a half-court offense. I thought the foul on Battle at the end of the game was BS, however, we didn't deserve to win anyway.

For anyone who hasn't been to MSG in a while I recommend you check out a Knicks or Rangers game if you are in NYC. They pretty much gutted and re-did the place 3 years ago and it is looking great. There is not a bad seat in the house, everything is very modern looking and clean, and the food/drinks are exceptional. Plus, the acoustics and sound system in there are awesome. We ended up with pretty good 100 level seats.

One gripe about the Syracuse students....the student section was completely empty. UCONN students came out in droves and they were very, very loud. I know UCONN is just a short train ride away from MSG, but really? It was pretty disappointing. The Syracuse cheerleaders were not even there and we were considered the home team.

Very frustrating game to watch. Does JB even know how to coach offense? There was nothing going on. No movement. No picks or screens. No low post game. Lydon was being covered most of the game by a 6'4" guard, and they refused to give him the ball around the foul line. Shooting was terrible. It's going to be a long season.

Right now, a few too many players in new roles on this team -- whether that means new starter (Howard), new to Syracuse and the zone (White, Gillon), newly counted on to be a star (Lydon), new to college (Battle, Thompson), etc.

The biggest help they can get right now is Lydon breaking out and becoming a star that everyone hoped he'd be this season.

Right now, a few too many players in new roles on this team -- whether that means new starter (Howard), new to Syracuse and the zone (White, Gillon), newly counted on to be a star (Lydon), new to college (Battle, Thompson), etc.

The biggest help they can get right now is Lydon breaking out and becoming a star that everyone hoped he'd be this season.

I think the problem may be deeper than this, sadly. Frankly, I just don't think Gillon is very good. Frank is better, but is inconsistent and erratic. Andrew White looks like a one trick pony. Decent spot shooter, but can't make his own shots off the dribble. I don't know what Lydon's deal, but I actually think his best college position is at the 5. I'm not sure if he will be able to play the 3 in the NBA (hence I don't think he will leave early). Roberson is terrible offensively, and all of a sudden, is ineffective on the boards.

Again, there is virtually no movement on offense and almost no low-post game to speak of. Things are not looking good,

I think the problem may be deeper than this, sadly. Frankly, I just don't think Gillon is very good. Frank is better, but is inconsistent and erratic. Andrew White looks like a one trick pony. Decent spot shooter, but can't make his own shots off the dribble. I don't know what Lydon's deal, but I actually think his best college position is at the 5. I'm not sure if he will be able to play the 3 in the NBA (hence I don't think he will leave early). Roberson is terrible offensively, and all of a sudden, is ineffective on the boards.

Again, there is virtually no movement on offense and almost no low-post game to speak of. Things are not looking good,

I've been saying the same thing about Gillon but all my friends/everyone in my office just says he needs time. Time for what? He's a fifth year senior who has hit his ceiling and that ceiling is not that high. Add to that, he's coming to a team that has no offensive gameplan other than running around hoping someone gets open.

Lydon had a smaller man on him for much of the game and they weren't running plays to get him the ball. They never f#%$ing run any plays. I blame Boeheim for the lack of any half court offense. Other coaches get more offensively out of less talented players, and it's because they actually design offenses.

Very frustrated by this stretch of games.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

I could accept that, except they are really good. There is no excuse for them to go so cold on offense with all those scorers.

Part of the issue is that they seem to fall in love with the 3 too much.

I don't know man, you guys follow Cuse a hell of a lot closer than I do but doesn't it concern you that they have only played 3 legit NCAA Tournament teams this year(I guess you could throw Monmouth in that discussion too) & they have lost to all three of them. Beating Holy Cross, SC State & Colgate will not get you very far come selection time in March.

Things are never as good as they seem when going well (see first few pages of this thread), and I doubt things will continue as bad as they've been the past few games. Get more from Lydon and Roberson and Cuse will be a solid NCAA team.

Things are never as good as they seem when going well (see first few pages of this thread), and I doubt things will continue as bad as they've been the past few games. Get more from Lydon and Roberson and Cuse will be a solid NCAA team.

Indeed. This team will undoubtedly improve over the course of the season....especially on defense The question is will they improve enough in time to build a resume for the NCAA tournament. After watching them play against teams like UCONN, I have nightmares about teams like UNC, Duke, Louisville, Notre Dame and Virginia. Not to mention "middle of the pack" teams like Miami, VA Tech, Florida State, and Pitt. I just don't see this team coming together in time.

Watching this team closely, they lack leadership. Perhaps more importantly, they appear to lack intensity. They look tentative and almost ambivalent out there. It seems like no one other than AW3 wants to shoot, and he alone cannot carry this team on his back...even on a very good night. We need more out of Lydon, we need much more out of Battle who seems capable but lacks confidence, and we need TRoberson to man up and bang some bodies out there. Howard also needs to show more discipline, and needs to drive and dish more often. He just stands out there waiting for someone to get open.

A lot needs to happen to get this team on track.

I was thinking that Thompson is the ultimate zone buster during the UConn game. He got a chance to prove that today. Get him in the middle of the offense, hitting 15-footers, and teams won't zone us anymore.

Defense was better too, except for letting that one dude hit 10 3s.

I think Thompson is going to be a star if he stays in school and develops properly.