We need a Stafford-like QB

dayman

THE driver of that point production's on the bench with a hammy.

That's the problem.

We still scored 25 points with basically no Shady, terrible OL play and our 1st 3 & later 4th WR. What is fair to expect in that situation? If I told you before the game "Shady, Sammy, Salas and Woods won't play. Goodwin will go out and the OL will struggle." You would have been disappointed in 25 points? Really?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We still scored 25 points with basically no Shady, terrible OL play and our 1st 3 & later 4th WR. What is fair to expect in that situation? If I told you before the game "Shady, Sammy, Salas and Woods won't play. Goodwin will go out and the OL will struggle." You would have been disappointed in 25 points? Really?

I'm not counting the garbage time. when the game was in the balance, it was 17. Hell, the fish gave us what 30-45 yards in penalties on that drive? Had the offense been ANYTHING but putrid in the third and fourth, that game woulda been won going away.

Edited by joesixpack

Not to mention we were up 17-6.

By this awful logic, Brees and Newton are worse Qbs than Case Keenum.

Blaine Gabbert is the only qb that Tyrod is ahead of in passing yards per game.

I don't even know what we're discussing anymore, b/c the circular arguments vs. TT are dizzying:

1. I don't like TT, we can't win with him. TT has a winning record.

2. I don't like TT, too many 3 and outs. Offense is #8 in the NFL in drives of 10 plays or more.

3. I don't like TT, we need to outscore teams to win in the NFL. Bills rank #6 in the NFL in scoring.

4. I don't like TT, he doesn't throw for enough yards/game (ignoring the complete fact that we rank dead last in ATTEMPTS per game). People might as well complain that we can actually run the ball at an elite level, and they don't like Rex or Lynn as well then, b/c it's all by design.

5. I hated Fitz, yeh he threwfor 300yds and 3TD's but he also has 3INT's per game. You can't turn the ball over in the NFL and win consistently. TT doesn't turn the ball over.

I don't even know what we're discussing anymore, b/c the circular arguments vs. TT are dizzying:

2. I don't like TT, too many 3 and outs. Offense is #8 in the NFL in drives of 10 plays or more.

3. I don't like TT, we need to outscore teams to win in the NFL. Bills rank #6 in the NFL in scoring.

4. I don't like TT, he doesn't throw for enough yards/game (ignoring the complete fact that we rank dead last in ATTEMPTS per game). People might as well complain that we can actually run the ball at an elite level, and they don't like Rex or Lynn as well then, b/c it's all by design.

5. I hated Fitz, yeh he threwfor 300yds and 3TD's but he also has 3INT's per game. You can't turn the ball over in the NFL and win consistently. TT doesn't turn the ball over.

this man gets it. :thumbsup:

I'm not counting the garbage time. when the game was in the balance, it was 17. Hell, the fish gave us what 30-45 yards in penalties on that drive? Had the offense, DEFENSE been ANYTHING but putrid in the third and fourth, that game woulda been won going away.

Fixed!

How much can anyone expect more from a young QB still learning and developing with no 1st and 2nd string WR and the 3rd string WR went down with a concussion later in the game. No starting RB that makes the entire offense go and helps the entire team win games. The right side of the O-line giving up big plays to the opposing D-line.

To me, it's kinda surprising that Taylor didn't turn the ball over like most second-year starters would!!

I am 100% with you. He's a rich man's Alex Smith. I get it, he isn't Tom Brady but is the best QB that we have had (without question) in at least 15 years. A TERRIBLE version of Peyton Manning won the last Super Bowl.You can win playing this style with Tyrod. You can't win with teams running for 200+. Play your style and you will be competitive.

I am 100% with you. He's a rich man's Alex Smith. I get it, he isn't Tom Brady but is the best QB that we have had (without question) in at least 15 years. A TERRIBLE version of Peyton Manning won the last Super Bowl.You can win playing this style with Tyrod. You can't win with teams running for 200+. Play your style and you will be competitive.

Kirby, you know I like your posts lot but you keep repeating this "rich man's Alex Smith" thing. Smith has almost 300 more 300 yards & has been to the playoffs with multiple teams. He also is a former #1 overall pick. I struggle to see what Tyrod does superior to Smith to be called a rich version of him.

And I still think Fitz has been our best qb of the last 15 years. His defenses were terrible. He was forced to win games instead of be a game manager.

Tyrod takes great care of the ball and throws a great deep pass. But I think he gets way more excuses made for him than any Bills qb in a long time and he has probably played with the most talented roster of any of them.

I want Tyrod to be a franchise qb but I just haven't seen it.

Fixed!

How much can anyone expect more from a young QB still learning and developing with no 1st and 2nd string WR and the 3rd string WR went down with a concussion later in the game. No starting RB that makes the entire offense go and helps the entire team win games. The right side of the O-line giving up big plays to the opposing D-line.

To me, it's kinda surprising that Taylor didn't turn the ball over like most second-year starters would!!

"Second year starter." Nobody evaluates Tyrod like that. This is his 6th year in the NFL. Game time is very important, and nobody evaluates him like 6 year vet...but lets be realistic about what the way he's being measured. He has this year and probably next...do or die. He hasn't done enough yet...will he? IDK...but it doesn't look like it.

The problem is that when the going gets tough, Tyrod isn't going to be enough to win.

He will continue to win games in the regular season particularly against weaker opponents...but if we ever make it to the post-season again, when only the good QBs are left standing, Tyrod will hit his ceiling.

Can't wait to see how things play out this Sunday against the Patriots. According to my theory, Tyrod will be exposed in the game as he simply can't stay in the fight with Brady scoring point for point. Brady will get his 30+ but Tyrod won't. That's the problem.

We'll see if I'm right or wrong.

Kirby, you know I like your posts lot but you keep repeating this "rich man's Alex Smith" thing. Smith has almost 300 more 300 yards & has been to the playoffs with multiple teams. He also is a former #1 overall pick. I struggle to see what Tyrod does superior to Smith to be called a rich version of him.

And I still think Fitz has been our best qb of the last 15 years. His defenses were terrible. He was forced to win games instead of be a game manager.

Tyrod takes great care of the ball and throws a great deep pass. But I think he gets way more excuses made for him than any Bills qb in a long time and he has probably played with the most talented roster of any of them.

Yep. This has always been the hardest thing for me to understand. Bills fans disparaging a guy we would be grateful to have. Ask yourself this: if we had acquired Alex Smith instead of KC, which teams - Bills or Chiefs - would have gone to the playoffs multiple times? Tyrod is off to a solid start in his NFL starting career, but despite his obvious shortcomings, Alex Smith is still clearly superior. Yes, that might change if Tyrod takes a big step forward. No, that hasn't happened yet.

The problem is that when the going gets tough, Tyrod isn't going to be enough to win.

He will continue to win games in the regular season particularly against weaker opponents...but if we ever make it to the post-season again, when only the good QBs are left standing, Tyrod will hit his ceiling.

Can't wait to see how things play out this Sunday against the Patriots. According to my theory, Tyrod will be exposed in the game as he simply can't stay in the fight with Brady scoring point for point. Brady will get his 30+ but Tyrod won't. That's the problem.

We'll see if I'm right or wrong.

So duking it out with Brady and throwing for 400yds and going toe to toe with Brady is what we need for a QB? Brady is the standard we use to determine whats good enough to win and the only standard?

How many yards passing did the Broncos have last yr when they beat Brady in the playoffs?

How many QB's can go toe to tow with Brady and their passing game? 1 maybe 2? If thats how you want to formulate your offense and team then we'll be waiting another 100yrs to find our QB

And in my mind Alex Smith is the best point made yet.

Alex Smith IS the litmus test. If you are better, you are good. If you are worse, you are not good. At this point, Tyrod is slightly behind Alex Smith (maybe full notch maybe not...depends on who you ask).

End of discussion. He has until the end of the season to prove he could be better than Smith. He has until the end of next season to actually be better.

Fitz was a gunslinger that never realized his full potential in Buffalo for various reasons. 4-9, 6-10, 6-10. Jauron won more games with Edwards and JP!

I realize this will draw the ire of many posters, but nevertheless, I think Kyle Orton was probably the best QB this team has seen since Drew Bledsoe mostly because he played behind the very worst ranked O-line the franchise has ever seen in that 2014 season. He also managed to go 7-5 with literally no rushing attack most games! Spiller had 300 yards for the entire year and Freddy had 500 while both players had the lowest rushing averages for their careers that season. Plus, both players were injured quite a bit that year.

Orton was forced to win games with his arm and he pretty much did that with an oft-injured Watkins who the coaches wanted to use as a decoy for Robert Woods and Scott "fall down at the sight of a tackler & can't block" Chandler.

Anyway, unfortunately, Tyrod isn't at that stage in his career where he has developed into a comeback type QB who can win games with just his arm. Not to mention that the three starting receivers are currently all injured and so are the two starting RB's. Then the right side of that line started to look really bad in allowing some big plays.

I honestly don't understand how anyone can expect the young man to continue to develop under these circumstances. This is a big reason as to why I think Doug Whaley hasn't had a clue on how to build an offense to support a young, inexperienced QB.

Are you really judging Qbs by their win loss record?

If so, Kyle Orton is our best QB in the last 13 years.

I really don't get this disparaging talk about Alex Smith. The dude is a great QB. I'd love to have him QB of the Bills. I like Hotrod, but I wouldn't give this a second thought to trading them. 1/2 a New York heartbeat.

Edited by reddogblitz

I am not a Tyrod fan. People get enamored by his legs include Rex but when the game is on the line you win the game by throwing the football. He doens't see the middle of the field well and that pass to Goodwin at the end of the game was high.

He just doesn't have it.

Give me a 6'5 QB who can move in the pocket any day of the week.

the Lions have averaged less than 7 wins/season since stafford has been in the league.

The lions have reached 10 wins a whopping 2x since stafford has been there. Hooray.

Thats 7 seasons.

And lets not forget he played with the best WR in football who was a BEAST of a WR that is open even when he is not open. Lets not also forget he had a solid D there too for a short stint with Suh anchoring and Schwartz leading the team.