Cap Space and Needs 2017

Virgil

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually warming to the idea of letting Gilmore walk. I think that he's good and was imperative in Rex's system last year. As they have calmed the blitzing though and stopped playing "_______ Island" defense the need is a little less for a top 5 paid CB.

I suspect that they will be creative with the cap and there is another $2.5M with Carpenter, $1.2M from Patrick Lewis, and $1M from Easley. I believe that someone else will be kicking for the Bills. Those may not seem like big numbers but you can find another $5M of cap space there within the top 51.

It is funny you say that you are warming to letting Gilmore walk. I am actually going just the other way. I had a debate months ago with Bandit about Gilmore and elite status. After watching these first 6 games, I am seeing that Rex's scheme is more plug and play with regards to LB's. It is also very scheme/role reliant. Yes Rex wants great talent everywhere but I bet if you ask him, 'choose between Z Brown and Kyle or Gilmore' Rex goes with Gilmore.

In round 1 -we might look hard at a safety ( increase in talent over Graham & cut his $5mil cap hit & allow us to sign Gilmore)....

Rds 2-3-4-5 to the offense

Aren't first round safeties rare? No research by me, but I feel that S picks in the first round are usually mocked

Aren't first round safeties rare? No research by me, but I feel that S picks in the first round are usually mocked

Not at all - in fact sometimes they will be selected in top 10 (Dante Whitner for a painful memory ;;))))and if we are picking in the 20s its common to grab a safety there.

It is funny you say that you are warming to letting Gilmore walk. I am actually going just the other way. I had a debate months ago with Bandit about Gilmore and elite status. After watching these first 6 games, I am seeing that Rex's scheme is more plug and play with regards to LB's. It is also very scheme/role reliant. Yes Rex wants great talent everywhere but I bet if you ask him, 'choose between Z Brown and Kyle or Gilmore' Rex goes with Gilmore.

I have to disagree about LBs

Ragland's return affects Preston more than Zach, ZB is a perfect complement to either of those two. It would be foolish to let ZB walk and then pair up Ragland and Preston.

ZB is the queen on a chess board while PB and Ragland are the rooks.

I dont guess so Common.

Spikes goes away. P Brown will be here awhile. I think Rex will do everything to keep B&B together as long as is monetarily feasible.

Also i expect Z Brown and L. Alexander to want to stay in Buffalo when the contract comes up. It is now a great team to play for, and the got their new life breathed into them here. Since they are good guys, i do not expect them to become contract wienies. Of course they WILL need to get paid.

I lean towards Gilmore might be the big money guy who does not get signed.

Hope Bills have plan for that :unsure:

thinking FA here

I think Zach fits perfect in this system and other teams with different defensive systems will know, or assume, they will not be getting the same production if they sign him to a big contract, which should keep him in the 5m range for us.

I like that number.

Not at all - in fact sometimes they will be selected in top 10 (Dante Whitner for a painful memory ; ;))))and if we are picking in the 20s its common to grab a safety there.

I cannot bring myself to take a Safety early.

Its a position that needs development. I am not against taking safeties per se though

In looking at Spotrac, we are projecting to have 15 million in cap space next season. That includes picking up Tyrod's option.

Now, the cap is projected to go up 10 mil and we have around 5 mil in roll-over from this year.

IF the Bills tag Gilmore, that 13.7 million (based upon the 2016 tag).

The only glaring need that I can see is WR since only Watkins is under contract at that position next season and we know his reliability. Rookie WR's are cheap, but we can't rely soley on that to fill the position. In MY opinion, other needs are depth/replacement options for players declining in age (DT, S).

In any case, we would have about 16 million to sign FA's and we would hopefully want to bring back Zach Brown and Lorax. Lorax, even though he is leading the league in sacks right now might be easy to bring back because of his age, but Zach is going to want to get paid. To me, I'm more willing to pay him than Gilmore. His production has been huge and we have Darby. I'm more comfortable drafting a WR/DB in rounds 1/2 and letting the DB play opposite of Darby than I am letting Zach go, but that's a different conversation I'm sure.

As for players we could restructure: (I don't know if there is dead money in restructures, but this is their total cap hit number)

Kyle Williams (8.3 Mil cap hit)

Eric Wood (7.5 Mil cap hit)

Aaron Williams (6.6 Mil cap hit)

Corey Graham (5.3 Mil cap hit)

No matter what, we are going to have to make some tough decisions. I know we have Ragland and Shaq coming back, but it's hard to just let Zach and Lorax go. Good news about them is, they weren't in high demand before the season. We also NEED WR help.

I could see Zach getting 7-8 mil a year and Lorax getting 3-4 mil. That gives us 7-9 mil for a FA WR, which is about the going rate for a #2 WR.

To me, we need to either let Gilmore go and use that money to re-sign R. Woods, Zach, and Lorax, then draft a WR and DB, or we will need to get some serious restructures. And NO, TRADING DAREUS isn't an option. Cap hit would be brutal.

For the record, I'm not a Gilmore hater. But he's not a top 5 corner and he'll want that money. Darby is better already in my opinion, and we could sign 3-4 need positions in his place.

What I would like to see:

8 Mil Zach Brown

4 Mil Lorax

8 Mil FA WR

5 Mil Draft Picks

5 Mil (Re-signing Bills depth players)

30 Mil total

of course. Gilmore goes away. Use his $$ elsewhere. Seymour steps up. a no brainer really. Gilmore is not an impact player. CB is not an impact position in the Rex defense anyway. Front 7 scheming and getting the right front 7 to work the schemes is what makes the Rex defense go.. CBs just pick up the pieces the front 7 leave for them, which Ideally aren't many.....

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

of course. Gilmore goes away. Use his $$ elsewhere. Seymour steps up. a no brainer really. Gilmore is not an impact player. CB is not an impact position in the Rex defense anyway. Front 7 scheming and getting the right front 7 to work the schemes is what makes the Rex defense go.. CBs just pick up the pieces the front 7 leave for them, which Ideally aren't many.....

Corner not being a impact position in Rex system could not be further from the truth......

Its just that Gilmore is not performing like a top 5 corner.....you put crap at those positions this D will struggle

Corner not being a impact position in Rex system could not be further from the truth......

Its just that Gilmore is not performing like a top 5 corner.....you put crap at those positions this D will struggle

This^

Rex is able to do what he does because he has guys who play man. Now, the pass rush he generates helps them, but they are step one.

And also yes, Rex's scheme is easy for linebackers to excel, but I believe that Zach has taken it to another level.