49ers All 22 O Line/ Tyrod Unforced Errors Breakdown

Bocephuz

I have watched the all 22 on the strip sack about a dozen times. I don't think 91 is Miller's responsibility.

It looks just like a broken play where we try and get Miller up the field to wall off a linebacker and Mills pulling out to block off the edge setter. Armstead just bursts through the resultant gap and makes the play.

I think they did a decent job of disguising where the linebackers were going to attack pre snap and we end up blocking them but not the lineman. Broken play rather than anyone whiffing on a block I think.

You may be right... I watched it over and over and couldn't figure out what was really going on there. It certainly looked like a busted play. Some blocker made a mistake there

Thanks, love these reviews!

:thumbsup:

Thank you for posting the videos and your analysis. The all 22 breakdowns are great stuff each week.

:thumbsup:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may be right... I watched it over and over and couldn't figure out what was really going on there. It certainly looked like a busted play. Some blocker made a mistake there

I tend to agree with Captain_Quint that really you want your QB to be able to diagnose that and get them out of that play. TT is getting better at that but isn't there yet. You just have to put that down as the D having the perfect call to bust up the play we were trying to run. It happens and I think the disguised the 2nd level rushers really well.

Yeah.. unless he grows 2 or 3 inches soon this will always be an issue. If you can't see you can't see.. just a natural limitation

It's something he's going to have to overcome, as Drew Brees did, if he's going to have success past 30 when his speed and athleticism will decrease.

For now I'm content with him bailing on clean pockets less often.

What a great, easy to read/comprehend breakdown. Thanks for taking the time!!

Thank you .. I always wonder if what I'm writing is coherent

Great job Bo-----The progress is continuing between TT and Lynn. This should be a good week to get Shady rolling and then take advantage with the play action pass game

We killed them with play action last year in Miami.. hopefully we can repeat. Hopefully Lynn has planted some bad chum in the last few games for the Dolphins to choke on

nice analysis, but how are you not seeing the fact he isnt throwin routes down the middle? I kept tabs on all his throws sunday, especially 3rd down, they are almost always disgusting sideline comebacks to goodwin. the kind that dont get completed but 1 out of 5 tries.

As for his middle throws, they too are to stopped receivers on hook routes, they go nowhere after the catch and up to the drive before the hunter td, the 49ers D started suffocating those routes causing another 3 and out in a tight game at that point. the next drive tyrod finally broke his pattern and went deep. Even on the hunter td however, Clay was far more open and calling for the ball. The td was nice but it was caught at the sideline as usual where tyrod lives, Clay would have had a 25 yard gain and had an easier catch though, like every week when Clay runs this pattern and gets ignored for a 5 yarder to goodwin or woods.

Are you not seeing this?

nice analysis, but how are you not seeing the fact he isnt throwin routes down the middle? I kept tabs on all his throws sunday, especially 3rd down, they are almost always disgusting sideline comebacks to goodwin. the kind that dont get completed but 1 out of 5 tries.

As for his middle throws, they too are to stopped receivers on hook routes, they go nowhere after the catch and up to the drive before the hunter td, the 49ers D started suffocating those routes causing another 3 and out in a tight game at that point. the next drive tyrod finally broke his pattern and went deep. Even on the hunter td however, Clay was far more open and calling for the ball. The td was nice but it was caught at the sideline as usual where tyrod lives, Clay would have had a 25 yard gain and had an easier catch though, like every week when Clay runs this pattern and gets ignored for a 5 yarder to goodwin or woods.

Are you not seeing this?

He certainly doesn't target the intermediate/ deep middle of the field often. He did attempt one intermediate seam route to Clay .. a tight window between 2 defenders..and he hit Clay in the hands but Clay dropped it (given it was a tough catch to make and he got hammered)

Tyrod's play has slipped from last season in a few key metrics, namely yards per attempt (YPA) and passing yards. He's attempting about the same number of passes per game (27) but is more than 35 passing yards per game less than 2015. As a result, his YPA is down more than a yard per attempt. That's not good.

Someone will say they're working without Watkins and that's true. But this precipitous fall f rom effectively his first season starting in the NFL is concerning. At some point a defense will wise up and dare him to beat them. The run game has been very good but it won't always be this way.

The often made comparison is Russell Wilson, who never experienced a big drop in passing yards or YPA from one season to the next. And now that TT has better line play in front of him he should be showing improvement, not regression. Weren't we told before the season he'd have more of the playbook open this year?

Edited by BillsVet

The often made comparison is Russell Wilson, who never experienced a big drop in passing yards or YPA from one season to the next. And now that TT has better line play in front of him he should be showing improvement, not regression. Weren't we told before the season he'd have more of the playbook open this year?

True - but Wilson has had the same OC since day 1 that also plays into it. Whilst the offensive design is the same this year the play calling is definitely different. Not saying that is an excuse for everything and I agree Tyrod has played worse but I certainly think it has had an impact on the YPA.

Tyrod's play has slipped from last season in a few key metrics, namely yards per attempt (YPA) and passing yards. He's attempting about the same number of passes per game (27) but is more than 35 passing yards per game less than 2015. As a result, his YPA is down more than a yard per attempt. That's not good.

Someone will say they're working without Watkins and that's true. But this precipitous fall f rom effectively his first season starting in the NFL is concerning. At some point a defense will wise up and dare him to beat them. The run game has been very good but it won't always be this way.

The YPA is down because he's not relying on the home run deep throws and is actually learning to use the entire football field. His coaches and Whaley will tell you this is a good thing and I'd agree, although he needs to start hitting on a few of the deep ones to keep defenses honest (especially this weekend without McCoy against a stacked box). But the YPA isn't a useful metric here. And Russell Wilson took about three years before he finally started understanding the position cerebrally.

The YPA is down because he's not relying on the home run deep throws and is actually learning to use the entire football field. His coaches and Whaley will tell you this is a good thing and I'd agree, although he needs to start hitting on a few of the deep ones to keep defenses honest (especially this weekend without McCoy against a stacked box). But the YPA isn't a useful metric here. And Russell Wilson took about three years before he finally started understanding the position cerebrally.

But why is the deep ball not there like it was in his first season? I figured over an off-season teams would try to take that away and they largely have save for the Jets game. Without an intermediate or deeper passing game, I'm not sure where the offense is headed. They're not going to be running it for 150+ a game all season.

The throws I've seen him attempt are largely to the sideline (like last year) and not longer than 10 yards, including OTM. If teams gear up to stop the run, one would think

In terms of experience, TT is not Wilson. The former had been in the NFL 4 seasons before taking the starting job and wasn't a rookie as Wilson was. The drop in passing yards and YPA is not good no matter how you slice it.

The Bills are better on third downs and are scoring more points. Tyrod is running the offense quite well.

The Bills are better on third downs and are scoring more points. Tyrod is running the offense quite well.

It kills me to agree with you, but this is 100% accurate.

Tyrod's largest issue last year was his propensity for 3-and-outs, and a terrible success rate on 3rd down.

That's been the major difference so far this season.

It kills me to agree with you, but this is 100% accurate.

Tyrod's largest issue last year was his propensity for 3-and-outs, and a terrible success rate on 3rd down.

That's been the major difference so far this season.

Kudos on seeing the light. :thumbsup:

I don't think teams have taken the deep ball away either... it is just that the three guys we really targeted on deep routes last year were Harvin (retired), Sammy (injured) and to a lesser extent Hogan (gone). TT has overthrown a couple - notably the one to Woods in LA, but for the main the balls haven't been badly thrown but they have thrown to a bad football player - Goodwin - who, ironically for a former track star, couldn't track his way home following a road.