49ers All 22 O Line/ Tyrod Unforced Errors Breakdown

Bocephuz

Unforced errors.. bad throws/ How did the O Line do?/ What mistakes are on the O-Line.. what ones are not?

I watched the NFL rewind all 22 and here is my unofficial count of how the O-Line did /
How the QB did on every pass play ( I may have missed a snap or two here.. there also may be a few extra pass attempts that were cancelled due to penalites..but this should be 95% accurate)

Sufficient protection means that TT had time to hit his drop and had at least a second to scan the field.

DISCLAIMER ( I am not a coach, I don't know the hot reads or route combinations called.. this is just my educated perception of what happened on each pass play)

_______ ______________________

TOTAL PASS PLAYS: 31 - (FYI I did not count EJ garbage time snaps).

LINE BREAKDOWNS: 5/31 snaps - or 16%. In other words.. TT didn't really have a chance on 16% of his dropbacks. Based on my studies from 2015 ... a number under 20% is generally solid pass protect day

SUFFICIENT PROTECTION: 26/31 snaps - or 84%. TT had a relatively clean pocket 84% of the time

UNFORCED QB ERRORS: - 3/26 snaps - or 12%. Based on my 2015 studies if you have 5 unforced qb errors or less during a game your odds of winning are solid

Bottom Line:

PASS PROTECT SOLID - The O line was generally solid in pass protect save for a few breakdowns. Of the 3 sacks allowed 2 were really coverage sacks. The obvious screw up was Miller letting 91 get through untouched in q1 to crush Taylor on what looked like a blown play. TT also turned a whiffed Gillislee LB pickup into a 21 yard gain.

INCOGNITO SLIPPING - Richie had a few bad plays in pass protect. In Q1 he recognized a twist stunt too late causing pressure in TT's face and forcing him to scramble.

S8y68Og.gif

In Q2 64 whiffed on a cut block on Buckner.. forcing TT into an incompletion.

iX15Cdd.gif

MILLS AND SPEED RUSH - Mills was never really cleanly beaten by his man. However.. there were several instances where he struggled with the outside speed rush.

RB'S GOOD / BAD BLITZ PICKUP - Gillislee did a great job in blitz pickup a few times. However.. he very much whiffed on a LB blitz in Q4. McCoy and O'Leary both did poorly on a blitz pickup on a q1 pass play

TYROD HAS "ALMOST" COMPLETE GAME - Tyrod completed many different types of throws today. His quick timing game was solid.. he scrambled and made throws on the run.. and he had a few plays where he side stepped pressure, stepped up into the pocket and delivered. The one throw missing (which has been missing for a few weeks now) is the deep sideline "Go" route that he is usually so good at throwing. He attempted one today in the first half to Goodwin .. but unfortunately the O Line broke down on that play forcing an underthrow.

PLAYS OF NOTE

q1: 12 :24 - UNFORCED ERROR - TT is late and low on a Clay comeback route the first throw of the game

q1 11:48 - Incognito recognizes a stunt too late causing pressure in TT's face

q1 11:05 - O'Leary and McCoy double team on a blitz pickup but both get overpowered causing pressure

q1 9:41 - John Miller lets 91 into backfield untouched to crush Taylor on what looked like a blown play

q1 5:43 - TT shows great pocket presence by taking a side step to avoid pressure, keeps his eyes downfield and steps up into the pocket to hit Clay
q2 - Incognito whiffs on a cut block allowing Buckner to get pressure in TT's face

q2 2:47 - UNFORCED ERROR - TT bails from pocket early and doesn't see an open WR on right hash

q2 :38 - UNFORCED ERROR - Bad decision on dump down to McCoy (almost gets McCoy killed). Had a wide open easy throw to Goodwin on a hitch to the left that he doesn't see

RNDEsne.png

q3 10:42 - COVERAGE SACK

Q3 3:13 - Really nice job hanging in pocket and hitting throw to O'Leary

UraculM.gif

q3 2:10 - Excellent footwork, pump fake and perfect throw to Justin Hunter who beats 2 safeties for TD

q4 11:37 - Gillislee whiffs on blitz pickup..but TT turns lemons into lemonade for 21 yard gain

SUMMARY The Bills have a really solid O Line (ahhhhh... feels good to say that. No more Urbik, Richardson, Henderson nonsense). When Incognito is the weak point in pass protect because he has 2 bad plays.. you know you are on the right track. I have a feeling that Tyrod is very close to having a complete game where he will marry the move the chains short passes with a few nice deep balls. The only thing that I see as something he can't overcome is his penchant for bailing out of the middle of a pocket too early trying to find passing lanes because he can't see over his linemen.

O Line Pass block grades

GLENN - B+
INCOGNITO - C
WOOD B
MILLER - B
MILLS- C+

Edited by Bocephuz

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stuff. Richie was great in his run blocking, maybe that offsets some of it.

Tyrod bails from the pocket just like Russell Wilson does, and for the same reason which is the reason you point out. Have to take the good with the bad, I guess, because like Wilson, Tyrod keeps his eyes downfield and is excellent at throwing on the run.

My biggest and really only complaint on TT sunday was he missed Clay wide open in seam for what would have been TDs twice. Gotta start seeing this route

I think he hit Clay in the hands on one seam route but Clay got hammered and dropped it

Good stuff. Richie was great in his run blocking, maybe that offsets some of it.

Tyrod bails from the pocket just like Russell Wilson does, and for the same reason which is the reason you point out. Have to take the good with the bad, I guess, because like Wilson, Tyrod keeps his eyes downfield and is excellent at throwing on the run.

Richie is definitely still playing at a pro bowl level as a run blocker. And his pass protection is by no means bad.. it's just not at the ultra dominant level it was in 2015. He's looked really overmatched on a couple of pass plays this year and has committed some penalties that he didn't take last year

With that said I love having him on my team and I'm crossing my fingers we can get two more solid years out of him

I know EDIT* All of us want a super awesome QB yesterday but Tyrod seems to be progressing. The OC change and (I know its gonna piss people off) losing Watkins has really helped him. Watkins is a QB's safety net, without that net Tyrod is being forced to look to spread the ball around to other WRs and TEs and its helping him in the long run. We gotta remember he was a late round pick, a scout team QB on the Ravens for years and only has 1 year of starting experience. As long as our O-line (who have been doing great) continue to keep him clean, hes gonna keep progressing into a better QB. One game at a time!

Thank you

Thanks for the review. Nice work breh! :thumbsup:

Edited by Marty McFly

I know some of us want a super awesome QB yesterday but Tyrod seems to be progressing. The OC change and (I know its gonna piss people off) losing Watkins has really helped him. Watkins is a QB's safety net, without that net Tyrod is being forced to look to spread the ball around to other WRs and TEs and its helping him in the long run. We gotta remember he was a late round pick, a scout team QB on the Ravens for years and only has 1 year of starting experience. As long as our O-line (who have been doing great) continue to keep him clean, hes gonna keep progressing into a better QB. One game at a time!

Thanks for the review. Nice work breh! :thumbsup:[/quote

]👍

I have watched the all 22 on the strip sack about a dozen times. I don't think 91 is Miller's responsibility.

It looks just like a broken play where we try and get Miller up the field to wall off a linebacker and Mills pulling out to block off the edge setter. Armstead just bursts through the resultant gap and makes the play.

I think they did a decent job of disguising where the linebackers were going to attack pre snap and we end up blocking them but not the lineman. Broken play rather than anyone whiffing on a block I think.

I have watched the all 22 on the strip sack about a dozen times. I don't think 91 is Miller's responsibility.

It looks just like a broken play where we try and get Miller up the field to wall off a linebacker and Mills pulling out to block off the edge setter. Armstead just bursts through the resultant gap and makes the play.

I think they did a decent job of disguising where the linebackers were going to attack pre snap and we end up blocking them but not the lineman. Broken play rather than anyone whiffing on a block I think.

I thought this too. Thats the kind of presnap adjustments Id like to see Tyrod pick up on eventually. Although in this case, he may have had to just change the play altogether in order to avoid that rush. 91 did his best Kyle Williams impression blowing that one up.