Hurricane Matthew -Pray for our Nations Finest at GITMO

JAX maybe a concern, large and many were not leaving. Making landfall with the eyewall is where the big crap is. The mayor was on pleading people to leave by midnight. CNN was driving around and many places had stuff out, not secured, etc. People were home, lights on. What they were doing, who knows? I'd be like: "Gee, hey neighbor, thanks for securing all your schit that can fly around and take out a first responder!"

Like they say - You can't fix stupid!!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I talked to my brother and my parents. They have water and power still. They have water bottles in the fridge and plenty of food. The winds aren't too bad for either of them. Its raining at myt parents house. It has been all day My parents are retired so they don't have to drive anywhere.

My sister isn't too worried about the hurricane. Said it was kind of wind there and she has a lot of stuff in her basement fridge, beer mostly. She's not worried how this will effect her. But hoping winter isn't too awful, it gets cold in Toledo.

According to my brother its a nice day there in Dallas and I'll see my parents a little bit later when I cross the street to get my truck.

Wow......dodged a huge bullet with this one here in Central Florida. The winds never got above 65mph at my house, no damage for me, and we never even lost power....very lucky.

We did get about 13 inches of rain in a 15 hour period, so there is flooding in low lying areas, and the lake where I live overflowed its banks...I've only seen that lake at a higher level once in all the years I've lived here.

Wow......dodged a huge bullet with this one here in Central Florida. The winds never got above 65mph at my house, no damage for me, and we never even lost power....very lucky.

We did get about 13 inches of rain in a 15 hour period, so there is flooding in low lying areas, and the lake where I live overflowed its banks...I've only seen that lake at a higher level once in all the years I've lived here.

Very glad to hear you got off fairly lightly. That's usually the case, but for the few who take it on the chin it really sucks. Good for you!

Amazing...

Not so fast Florida, don't take that plywood/hurricane shutters off just yet.

Matt may be back for encore performance:

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/matthew-loop-southeast-coast-florida-bahamas-next-week

"A jet stream dip moving across the northeastern U.S. during that time was supposed to whisk Matthew eastward and out to sea. It now appears that Matthew will instead get left behind and meander off the Southeast coast.

At the same time, high pressure in the upper atmosphere is forecast to build east across the southern United States. The clockwise wind flow around that high could send Matthew westward with time in the general direction of the Florida peninsula or the northern Bahamas early next week."

Live update from Fayetteville, NC... Mass flooding, power outages, system wide water outages, dams ready to collapse... It's bad, not Katrina bad, but its bad. My neighborhood has not had any flooding or power outages beyond flickering of lights, but that might just be dumb luck.

My house, my wife, my child, and my dog are ok. My neighbors are ok. But, I work for the school system and have a lot of work colleagues and even more students... I worry for them. It's going to be a long road back for some neighborhoods in town.

Edited by Corp000085

Live update from Fayetteville, NC... Mass flooding, power outages, system wide water outages, dams ready to collapse... It's bad, not Katrina bad, but its bad. My neighborhood has not had any flooding or power outages beyond flickering of lights, but that might just be dumb luck.

My house, my wife, my child, and my dog are ok. My neighbors are ok. But, I work for the school system and have a lot of work colleagues and even more students... I worry for them. It's going to be a long road back for some neighborhoods in town.

And you probably won't even get any federal aid, because of bathroom politics.

You've got the important stuff! It's a pain in the arse, but all will be even better when it's over. After Hugo wiped out Charleston, SC all the crap that was destroyed was replaced with nice new stuff, the economy was invigorated with all the insurance money, and it actually became a better place.

It's kind of. Rely watching the news and it's a bunch of stories of massive flooding in my brother/parents' neck of the woods. My dad may have chosen the right week to be hospitalized.

Update from sister in Jax. They were able to get back late morning. Power was on when they got there. No flooding in the house, but some small water leaks in ceilings. Can't tell if they have any missing roof shingles. They have friend that has drone with camera that offered to check roof. Big bullet dodged. Dunes are gone and pier that is about 15 blocks north of them lost about 5 piers and a lot of the decking.

Very glad to hear you got off fairly lightly. That's usually the case, but for the few who take it on the chin it really sucks. Good for you!

Thanks.

A slight "jog" to the east of the forecast track about 6 hours before projected landfall moved center of the hurricane about 30-40 miles offshore of the east coast of Florida, and that 30-40 miles made all the difference.

That changed the impacts in central Fl. from 100 mph sustained winds to 65 mph sustained winds, and it changed the impacts to the east coast from 140 mph sustained winds to 90 to 100 mph sustained winds.

As bad as it was, it could have been so much worse for everyone in the state.

Edited by Special K

Update from sister in Jax. They were able to get back late morning. Power was on when they got there. No flooding in the house, but some small water leaks in ceilings. Can't tell if they have any missing roof shingles. They have friend that has drone with camera that offered to check roof. Big bullet dodged. Dunes are gone and pier that is about 15 blocks north of them lost about 5 piers and a lot of the decking.

Same with us with ceiling leaks. We have gable venting and I think water blew in there rather than a breach in the shingles on the room. I've gotta wait for daylight but I'm pretty confident the roof survived.

Hope you're wrong.

So you are looking for Fed handouts? Why should the rest of the nation bail them out? They know the dangers of living down there.

And yes... I am playing Devil's Advocate.

No Fed aid because of "bathroom politics?" :lol: Try "divisive politics," like the first sentences of my post. It's the highly competitive, zero-sum society we seem to embrace. It has nothing to do with poopy slinging.

http://time.com/4287064/negotiating-the-nonnegotiable/

The headline says it all:

"It takes work to resist the intoxicating temptation of our corrosive politics"

"Through over two decades of global fieldwork in negotiation, I have observed a common dynamic to emotionally charged conflicts. Confrontation focuses our emotional energies on the singular goal of winning over the other side. As we become consumed in this mindset, we reenact partisan patterns of conflict that may comfort our fears but undermine cooperation. Fierce loyalty to “our side” makes it taboo to break ranks, no matter what our leaders espouse. And should we feel an assault on our sacred values—the core of our identity—our anger turns to outrage, hardening the lines of division."

Of course we should help and everybody as a team, nation, do OUR best to make places that were hit by this storm or suffer other calamities, be better than they were before. Like, Augie above said! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

ESSAYONS!

PS: And mods, please excuse my short beat to windward. :D

So you are looking for Fed handouts? Why should the rest of the nation bail them out? They know the dangers of living down there.

And yes... I am playing Devil's Advocate.

No Fed aid because of "bathroom politics?" :lol: Try "divisive politics," like the first sentences of my post. It's the highly competitive, zero-sum society we seem to embrace. It has nothing to do with poopy slinging.

http://time.com/4287064/negotiating-the-nonnegotiable/

The headline says it all:

"It takes work to resist the intoxicating temptation of our corrosive politics"

"Through over two decades of global fieldwork in negotiation, I have observed a common dynamic to emotionally charged conflicts. Confrontation focuses our emotional energies on the singular goal of winning over the other side. As we become consumed in this mindset, we reenact partisan patterns of conflict that may comfort our fears but undermine cooperation. Fierce loyalty to our side makes it taboo to break ranks, no matter what our leaders espouse. And should we feel an assault on our sacred valuesthe core of our identityour anger turns to outrage, hardening the lines of division."

Of course we should help and everybody as a team, nation, do OUR best to make places that were hit by this storm or suffer other calamities, be better than they were before. Like, Augie above said! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

ESSAYONS!

PS: And mods, please excuse my short beat to windward. :D

So are you saying FEMA shouldn't exist?