Week 5: Rams' Game Preparation - Inactives Announced

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He should. The story on Wentz was "higher ceiling, but might not be NFL ready because he played division 1 AA." And Wentz has looked like a seasoned vet while Goff can't get on the field.

I had actually heard the opposite in terms of readiness. According to NFL.com's draft report, Goff "Spent 99.8 percent of his pass snaps from pistol or shotgun this season. Will likely need to orient himself with NFL footwork from under center" whereas of Wentz, they reported that "Played in a pro-­style attack with plenty of snaps under center. Asked to make NFL throws and showed he could do it. Stands tall in the pocket and delivers with a relatively high release point." Yes, the talent level for Wentz was a question....but in terms of footwork and reads, he was used to a pro style offense. So, it's not surprising that Goff is struggling (or for that matter that Wentz knows what he is doing). What is surprising (and concerning for the Rams) is how much Goff has struggled and how quickly Wentz has adjusted to the speed of the NFL game.

I had actually heard the opposite in terms of readiness. According to NFL.com's draft report, Goff "Spent 99.8 percent of his pass snaps from pistol or shotgun this season. Will likely need to orient himself with NFL footwork from under center" whereas of Wentz, they reported that "Played in a pro-­style attack with plenty of snaps under center. Asked to make NFL throws and showed he could do it. Stands tall in the pocket and delivers with a relatively high release point." Yes, the talent level for Wentz was a question....but in terms of footwork and reads, he was used to a pro style offense. So, it's not surprising that Goff is struggling (or for that matter that Wentz knows what he is doing). What is surprising (and concerning for the Rams) is how much Goff has struggled and how quickly Wentz has adjusted to the speed of the NFL game.

My main concern with Wentz was his adjustment to the speed of the game. He was never a quick-release guy at NDSU, preferring to hold the ball to let things develop. Jumping all the way from FCS play to the NFL, my worry was that it would take him a while to get acclimated to how much he'd have to speed up the process in the NFL.

I'm very impressed with how he's done so, but the real test will come 6-8 weeks from now, when NFL DCs have a batch of film on him and start making an effort to take away what he's been comfortable doing.

This is going to be a tough game, and I have a feeling one of those we look back on as a "shoulda game" when we end up 8-8 again.

I've got that old funny feeling that this game isn't going to be nearly as close as most think -- in a good way.

@Andy_Benoit

#Rams Film: Keenum struggled with ball placement downfield. Was off just enough on a number of throws. (Overall not an NFL caliber thrower.)

@cover1eturner

Aaron Donald: Can rush with power, speed, has the bend of a pass rushing DE, strong hands and technically proficient. Scary..

https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/784052546360971265

@Andy_Benoit

#Rams Film: Keenum struggled with ball placement downfield. Was off just enough on a number of throws. (Overall not an NFL caliber thrower.)

@cover1eturner

Aaron Donald: Can rush with power, speed, has the bend of a pass rushing DE, strong hands and technically proficient. Scary..

https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/784052546360971265

Hopefully our secondary can snag some of those passes that are off just enough. Turnovers are going to be key in this game most likely.

2 DL don’t practice for Rams

Most outside observers are of the opinion that Los Angeles’ defensive line is the strength of their team. Two of their defensive linemen however, were unable to practice on Wednesday, and another was limited.

Starting DE Williams Hayes and starting DE Robert Quinn did not practice for the Rams on Wednesday due to ankle and shoulder injuries. Fellow starter DT Michael Brockers was limited with a hip injury.

The Rams top wideout Kenny Britt also did not practice.