A few thoughts about the Pats Game (Tribute to BillsFromNyC)

Virgil

1 - I have to start with this. I do not want to hear about who started at QB for the Pats. We've walked some sorry excuses for a QB out there against the Pats and they never showed mercy against us. You are the sum of your team and we won this game without a ton of impact players. This was a win against a 3-0 team (all without Marsha) and the first shutout in Foxboro ever!!!! Drink it in boys, we deserve this.

2 - Defensive Penalties were almost non-existent. This might be the biggest takeaway from the game that wasn't really talked about during the game. Rex takes the blame for the penalties, so he gets the credit here. He's been pretty good these two weeks and still pulled out his old antics.

3 - McCoy looks good. Like, REALLY good. His burst, cuts, everything is what we traded for and couldn't be happier with his presence on the field. Even his pass protection has improved. Easily the offensive MVP of the first quarter of the season.

4 - Anthony Lynn has been exactly what this team has needed against two great defenses. He got Woods and Clay more involved, TT some roll outs (where he's more comfortable) and finally had some long drives. Defense had to approve of that!

5 - The news is out, all over town that you've been seen, out runnin' 'round.

I know that I should leave her there,
But then I just can't go, you win again.
This heart of mine, could never see what everybody knows but me.
Just trustin' you was my great sin, I just can't go, Lord
You win again. What can I do, Lord, You win again.

6 - I was worried about the defense with that first play to Edelpunk, but they calmed that down very quick. The defense did a great job with holding their lanes, pressuring with 4-5 guys, and you could tell that Aaron Williams had them fired up. Hughes continues to overall impress and I can't wait to see what we look like with Pothead, I mean Dareus, back.

7 - Back to TT. How he played in the first half is why he got the contract. He was hitting all of his throws, both timing and spot throws. He was spreading the ball around. He was a QB first, runner second. First win of his career when throwing more than 30 passes. Second half was rough for him, but I really wonder what affect the wet field was having. There were some thrown balls and slips out there that make me believe both sides were having problems

8 - Credit Bennett and Blount. Those are some big boys in space and not the kind of guys I was to be in front of with a full head of steam. I'm curious to see what this offense is like with Marsha back and these guys supporting him.

9 - Carpenter - I'm getting there with him. Kickers miss. Gostkowski missed. But he's losing the benefit of the doubt with me and would love to see some better competition at that position next off season.

10 - We have 3 winnable games ahead of us. Traveling to the west coast is never easy, but this is another part of the test of being a Bills fan. How do we respond after two huge upset wins? Can we keep it going? 5-2 would easily change the tone of this season and we have the talent. My name is FireRex for a reason, but I always say that I love to be proven wrong. Hopefully I will be very wrong.

Go Bills!

Edited by FireRex

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for carrying on the "thoughts".

3. Agree with you 100% on Shady. Makes moves that only a few in the whole of the NFL can.

4. Offensive execution and function with Lynn are so much better than with Roman. Almost hard to believe the difference is this big.

8. Blount and Bennett are bruisers. Zach Brown wore out L Blount today. M Bennett left game with shoulder injury due to contact. I wouldn't want to try to tackle these guys either, but the Bills D kept flying and hitting all day.

And one of my own:

When the season began, I had no idea what to think about the LB corps. Zach and Preston Brown have far exceeded my expectations.

Excellent points.

I will also add one observation: The Pats committed (or, rather, were flagged for) a surprising number of offensive penalties in this game—starting with the penalty on the first play to Hogan. That struck me as very odd, since the Pats are almost never called for holding, and certainly not at home. Leaving aside all conspiracy theories, I will say that is a real tribute to the Bills D, which put such pressure on the Pats OL that they had to hold on.

What a lovely day. :beer:

Thanks for carrying on the "thoughts".

3. Agree with you 100% on Shady. Makes moves that only a few in the whole of the NFL can.

4. Offensive execution and function with Lynn are so much better than with Roman. Almost hard to believe the difference is this big.

8. Blount and Bennett are bruisers. Zach Brown wore out L Blount today. M Bennett left game with shoulder injury due to contact. I wouldn't want to try to tackle these guys either, but the Bills D kept flying and hitting all day.

And one of my own:

When the season began, I had no idea what to think about the LB corps. Zach and Preston Brown have far exceeded my expectations.

Yeah, I forgot to include the hit that forced the fumble. THAT was a HIT!!!

Big, big congrats to Rex, I bet that felt good!

Sorry G-Ro, but the O these past 2 weeks has looked better than the 18 games before them.

Total team effort was great, but especially nice to watch TT looking pretty good. He's still got a ways to go, but after the 1st 2 games, I will take it.

I agree about the Brown's...something that I never saw coming.

Now if the two rookie LB's can come back later this year and in 2017 and play some decent ball, we should be stacked with good talent at LB for a few years. Gotta like that.

I will counter on McCoy. Until the Bills can consistently get runs of 5-6 yards in a row from him, he's not performing to expectations. His YPC must get better to help this offense.

The better news is on defense. If this team starts playing like the "Rex Ryan Defense" meme we've heard for 2 years, that will be exciting and can keep Rex in his job, which I'd argue is important for team continuity.

TT should improve without the Watkins distraction. Just get to know all his WRs. Good to see Clay more today.

I will counter on McCoy. Until the Bills can consistently get runs of 5-6 yards in a row from him, he's not performing to expectations. His YPC must get better to help this offense.

The better news is on defense. If this team starts playing like the "Rex Ryan Defense" meme we've heard for 2 years, that will be exciting and can keep Rex in his job, which I'd argue is important for team continuity.

TT should improve without the Watkins distraction. Just get to know all his WRs. Good to see Clay more today.

I think the Pats schemed well for the run game and I saw Shady make the most of bad situations today.

The negative yardage plays will happen with Shady given his style of running. However, the past two weeks he is clearly getting "north /south" sooner and even following an initial cut to the outside. The past 2 games the o line blocking appears different and McCoy is benefitting from the change in game plan.

You know, this game was what I always wanted from Rex. He went with a defense that attacked the quarterback. If this continues, they will continue to win games!!!

Btw, not every poster who found fault in Rex was completely down on the Bills. I for one thought that his non-aggressive system was awful. I stand by that assertion.

I was also a HUGE supporter of Tyrod. I said it before and I repeat: Tyrod and qbs like him are the future of the game. There will ALWAYS be a place for great throwers such a Manning, Brady and Luck, but there are only so many of these guys.

Great game Tyrod!!!

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know, this game was what I always wanted from Rex. He went with a defense that attacked the quarterback. If this continues, they will continue to win games!!!

Btw, not every poster who found fault in Rex was completely down on the Bills. I for one thought that his non-aggressive system was awful. I stand by that assertion.

I was also a HUGE supporter of Tyrod. I said it before and I repeat: Tyrod and qbs like him are the future of the game. There will ALWAYS be a place for great throwers such a Manning, Brady and Luck, but there are only so many of these guys.

Great game Tyrod!!!

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the post. I hope you take this post as the sign of respect it's meant to be.

Please feel free to do this next week!!!!! It feels empty after a game without them

Edited by FireRex

The most pleasing element of the last two weeks is that I still feel that this team is supposed to win on defense, that is even more true with Sammy out. If this defense comes around like it has the past two weeks and keeps getting better than the Bills can have a winning season. The offense does not have enough playmakers to carry the D it has to be the other way round that allows us to keep teams off balance with our O. If a team can put us down and force us to throw more then we will struggle, especially because outside of Woods we don't have a genuine NFL standard receiver on the roster. Goodwin is useless and Salas and Powell are okay as a role players and special teamers but no more than that. I want to see Hunter ready and out there sooner rather than later - he might not be the answer but the other guys we have certainly aren't.

EDIT: This was TT's best game this season by far.... but still room for improvement.

Edited by GunnerBill

Well I kinda figured, I just didn't know when it happened. But thanks for being an a$$. Not all of us check into TBD daily and I certainly wasn't trying to be a jerk.

You asked if someone passed away, two posts after he just posted in the same topic. Sometimes it needs to be said.