Marlins Jose Fernandez dies in boating accident at 24

Just Jack

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But don't do it on a speed boat in the dead of night off Miami Beach, for God's sake.

I know Tom. This simply may not be the thread even though the OP titled it openly.

No disrespect @ all... But if one of them couldn't throw a fastball, most of us would be putting them in for a Darwin Award.

Celebrate life... And he had quite a life. I hope the way he died sinks in to many doing stupid things while living on the edge. So sad.

This is what they hit:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_Cut

Again, no disrespect. $$$ to donuts somebody claims that it wasn't properly lit or marked. /wallbash

Apparently there's a lighted marker buoy about 100 yards SE off the end of jetty. Local boaters said they are supposed to go around it and make a wide right turn up the channel. That's the safe proper way of doing it. but lot's of small boats take the short cut between the marker and the end of the rocks... it saves a minute or so i guess. speculation is thats what Fernandez did and cut it too close to the rocks since they aren't lit up. Just an awful way to go

Apparently there's a lighted marker buoy about 100 yards SE off the end of jetty. Local boaters said they are supposed to go around it and make a wide right turn up the channel. That's the safe proper way of doing it. but lot's of small boats take the short cut between the marker and the end of the rocks... it saves a minute or so i guess. speculation is thats what Fernandez did and cut it too close to the rocks since they aren't lit up. Just an awful way to go

Wow. I caught that it was a "center console" vessel... So not exactly a Cigarette type boat that I associate w/the word "speed" boat. You know, "Donzi" type, MiamiVice type drug runner...

That being said, they may have not been hauling azz too much, but a nice center console vessel like a SeaSwirl or Boston Whaler will clipp along, especially w/two ginornous outboards.

I digress as usual. But you are right, IT WOULD be a shame if they did cut that daymark/light off.

Again, maybe the got disorientated @ night (happens all the time on water)... But then you go through the area @ snail's pace, motors unlocked, and a spotter on the bow (better with a light). Yeah but that schitcans your extra minutes!

Oh well... :-(

EDIT: I wonder why that passage is there. It probably wasn't in 1916? ;-) ;-) if that is the case. This high profile case may open a can of worms, legally? ??

It is a haz to nav, should it be marked? Any Coasties here? Or should the operators know better than to not go cut the daymark off?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I thought they'd determined that Fernandez was just a passenger, not driving...

Would people have the same responses if after a night out at the bar, he decided to take a 60mph shortcut through a tight sidewalk in his Porsche, and then hit a stone wall?

Nope. Not @ all.

Anyway, they were most likely good guys who's bad choice caught up w/them in a horribly wrong way. Just happened to play high risk, high reward (whatever reward that may be, a few minutes?) & on the water that tends to phuck you over bad when you play that type of game.

Simply wearing their PFDs may have changed the odds greatly. A Type I or II PFD will turn an unconscious person over in the water so they can breathe.

I wonder what cause of death was. They may have had a fighting chance if drowning while unconscious didn't get them first. I highly doubt that anything but drowning got them. Simply having the vessel's prop hit a rock and sending them flying into the water will not kill them. Flying into the water and getting knocked out will. Getting trapped under your vessel another story.

You get it. Simply an unconscious person in the water w/their head down is lethal.

Oh well...

Then at least get his PFD on before hurtling through the night.

I have very little sympathy for stupidity.

I heard this as well. I heard on the radio this morning that he would often go out on this boat, but never drive it and didn't even know how to start it.

I heard this as well. I heard on the radio this morning that he would often go out on this boat, but never drive it and didn't even know how to start it.

So we should be blaming the operator. As a boat passenger like in this case, I think one has a bit of responsibility to have more situational awareness. Like hey, "Like do we need a spotter/lookout on the bow." "Maybe, just maybe we shouldn't being going this fast in limited visabilty."

Again, they will find some way to blame that there was a hazard to navigation that should have been dealt with. Yeah, the hazard is being a group of dumbasses on a boat. You'd be amazed how often this happens. You think it is bad on the road.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

So we should be blaming the operator. As a boat passenger like in this case, I think one has a bit of responsibility to have more situational awareness. Like hey, "Like do we need a spotter/lookout on the bow." "Maybe, just maybe we shouldn't being going this fast in limited visabilty."

Again, they will find some way to blame that there was a hazard to navigation that should have been dealt with. Yeah, the hazard is being a group of dumbasses on a boat. You'd be amazed how often this happens. You think it is bad on the road.

If it was Fernandez's boat, I'd guess it was being driven the way Fernandez wanted. The other two guys were his posse -- the kind of guys who are on call for a 3am boat ride when the boss gets into a fight with his girlfriend and wants to go out and blow off some steam.

If it was Fernandez's boat, I'd guess it was being driven the way Fernandez wanted. The other two guys were his posse -- the kind of guys who are on call for a 3am boat ride when the boss gets into a fight with his girlfriend and wants to go out and blow off some steam.

My uncle was drafted in to the Army and sent to Vietnam. When he left, he left his speedboat in my dad's care. A year later, my uncle gets back from 'Nam, and dad greets him with "Hey...remember your boat?"

My father took the boat out on the Niagara river, and somehow, in a manner that no one has ever really understood, he managed to send the empty boat over the Falls.

Pretty sure that's not how my uncle wanted his boat driven.

(And it's still fun to ask my uncle "Hey, remember your boat?" in front of dad.)

My uncle was drafted in to the Army and sent to Vietnam. When he left, he left his speedboat in my dad's care. A year later, my uncle gets back from 'Nam, and dad greets him with "Hey...remember your boat?"

My father took the boat out on the Niagara river, and somehow, in a manner that no one has ever really understood, he managed to send the empty boat over the Falls.

Pretty sure that's not how my uncle wanted his boat driven.

(And it's still fun to ask my uncle "Hey, remember your boat?" in front of dad.)

You're sick!

I like it. :)