NFL Television ratings

jaybee

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NFL ratings are dropping big this year.

I think there is a good explanation to why this is happening.

Isn't the player salary cap somehow tied to TV revenues? If that's the case and salaries don't increase as much as they would have increased, I think there will be a certain back up football player that is going to receive lots of criticism behind closed doors from many players in the league.

NFL ratings are dropping big this year.

Coincidentally, when I walked onto the platform at 4th Ave and 9th St in Brooklyn this a.m., I decided to take a look around. Of the first 19 people I passed, 17 were reading on their phones and 2 were reading books. All network programming is cratering, not just the NFL, and I think we've finally reached a major inflection point in how the masses consume information and entertainment.

Edited by dave mcbride

@sportingnews

Player protests aren’t the reason behind the NFL’s declining TV ratings; a poor product and bad decisions are. http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-tv-ratings-colin-kaepernick-protests-poor-product-officiating-injuries-concussions/1g7wnxxk67kbp1mdwinajupivq

Ct7E5S4W8AAvxTd.jpg

Yeah, uh huh.

His premise is that player protests aren't to blame for the ratings dip. He lists a bunch of other factors.

Yet he concludes that:

"Most, if not all, of these issues are merely continuations of last year and the years before."

Because.....

"The ratings are showing something now. It’s actually not unreasonable to blame it on the element that didn’t exist last season, players kneeling or raising a fist during a portion of the game that even now hardly gets televised."

What useless piece that was..

Beyond useless.

Coincidentally, when I walked onto the platform at 4th Ave and 9th St in Brooklyn this a.m., I decided to take a look around. Of the first 19 people I passed, 17 were reading on their phones and 2 were reading books. All network programming is cratering, not just the NFL, and I think we've finally reached a major inflection point in how the masses consume information and entertainment.

Thank god.

But relative to that, per my previous post, I only see that driving bids for NFL exclusivity UP.

You might have nine platforms that each show their own Vampire detective shows with boobies, but there's only one NFL.

Your argument would have more resonance if we saw a gradual decline, this sudden drop does not fit this piece of the puzzle.

The only things that matters is; ticket prices, tv contracts, and merchandise. It seems the Bills have expanded their revenue pie with the stadium naming rights and have now risen ticket prises in line with other teams. Pegula is no dummy. He will churn a profit as will the rest of the NFL for that matter. The key is not going into long term debt on a billion dollar stadium.

Your argument would have more resonance if we saw a gradual decline, this sudden drop does not fit this piece of the puzzle.

"Cutting the cord" is really a thing now. It wasn't even on people's radar screens 3-4 years ago.

http://fortune.com/2016/04/05/household-cable-cord-cutters/

Edited by dave mcbride

Why not? The falls in ESPN/cable subscriptions have been precipitous of late.

http://www.businessinsider.com/bleacher-report-ceo-says-why-espn-has-had-trouble-2016-8

Because that isn't an apples to apples comparison.

If we go by the logic that was given by Mcbride, then this same theory should hold true for the NBA and MLB, correct?

But they don't.

Baseball

NBA

Because that isn't an apples to apples comparison.

If we go by the logic that was given by Mcbride, then this same theory should hold true for the NBA and MLB, correct?

But they don't.

Baseball

NBA

It's awfully disingenuous to compare the first four weeks in the NFL to the NBA finals...don't you think?

Likewise, MLB, in the summer time, doesn't compete with new television programming.

"Cutting the cord" is really a thing now. It wasn't even on people's radar screens 3-4 years ago.

http://fortune.com/2016/04/05/household-cable-cord-cutters/

Like hell it wasn't. I cut the cord six years ago. A lot of people my age started around then. It's just only recently started to take hold. It didn't happen suddenly. It just hit its critical mass in the past few years.

Thank god.

But relative to that, per my previous post, I only see that driving bids for NFL exclusivity UP.

You might have nine platforms that each show their own Vampire detective shows with boobies, but there's only one NFL.

Vampire shows with boobies are cheap. Shareholders don't care as much about the cost of those shows as they do about sports programming.

Sports leagues are due for an awakening in the next round.

Vampire shows with boobies are cheap. Shareholders don't care as much about the cost of those shows as they do about sports programming.

Sports leagues are due for an awakening in the next round.

I believe your thinking on this is backwards.

Vampire boobie shows are cheap, yes. They're also not unique and they're also a dime a dozen. Their audiences--relative to all other programming--aren't big enough to demand the kind of ad revenue the NFL can.

The NFL's share may be dropping relative to itself. That shouldn't really be a surprise. What I'd like to see is how it's changed relative to everything else. That'll tell you what the content is worth.

It's awfully disingenuous to compare the first four weeks in the NFL to the NBA finals...don't you think?

Likewise, MLB, in the summer time, doesn't compete with new television programming.

Like hell it wasn't. I cut the cord six years ago. A lot of people my age started around then. It's just only recently started to take hold. It didn't happen suddenly. It just hit its critical mass in the past few years.

You have an argument for the NBA, not so much for MLB.

But here you go for the NBA, shows growth from the previous year.

You have an argument for the NBA, not so much for MLB.

But here you go for the NBA, shows growth from the previous year.

Again, that's a Saturday Prime Time show. What else are they competing with? Answer: nothing. It's the cheapest slot to purchase ads for a reason. That was the same argument against the MLB data ,and it's completely relevant to this conversation.

Monday Night, Sunday Night, Thursday Night Football, all of these are competing with networks that are introducing new content OR have established content in those slots.

That it's down relative to itself is not a surprise, again.

This all ties back to the original point that eyeballs are spread insanely thin these days. This is no new revelation.

Also that's a self-touting press release from the Disney Corporation who denies any dip in MNF. So take it at face value. All those numbers and stats are fluffed to the nth degree.

Again, that's a Saturday Prime Time show. What else are they competing with? Answer: nothing. It's the cheapest slot to purchase ads for a reason. That was the same argument against the MLB data ,and it's completely relevant to this conversation.

Monday Night, Sunday Night, Thursday Night Football, all of these are competing with networks that are introducing new content OR have established content in those slots.

That it's down relative to itself is not a surprise, again.

This all ties back to the original point that eyeballs are spread insanely thin these days. This is no new revelation.

You are reaching. I gave you a much better comparison than the ESPN argument you made.

If you want to believe that only Football out of the big three sports is effected by this new phenomena that involves the internet and cell phones, that's fine, you are entitled to that.