Poach Belichick

QB Bills

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is amusing watching all the folks that thought that the success of Belichick was all about Brady come to their epiphany and start threads etc..

It's been a few years since his staff/front office has been heavily raided by other teams and the continuity in the personnel dept and assistant coaching is yielding better returns in both the draft and execution.........early this season, at least.

We don't know what kind of HC Patricia will make but my impression is that he is not a great in-game adjuster........I've seen his defense get run ragged in the second half of games and that answer-less look on his face to think he is the next Belichick.

Strikes me as book smart but not nearly as sharp in the moment. A guy like that can get overwhelmed making the jump to HC.

But finding someone who is a great, detail oriented game planner and also razor sharp in the moment is a tall order in the NFL.

My guess is McDaniels will be better.......he's also very good at preparing a gameplan and has the HC experience under his belt now.

I'd be very surprised if either came here or anywhere in division.

It might take huge money to make them betray the dark master and too much money can sour the objective.

Just wondering why anyone would think he's not. Caught cheating twice. Good coach? Sure. Pushes the envelope? Yup. Indecent as a three dollar bill? Hell yeah.

If you give a broad definition to "cheating," then maybe. But not.

1. "Spygate" wasn't cheating - taping was allowed but not at that position.

2. No involvement in deflategate.

Regardless, everytime he gets "caught" and is under a microscope, the Pats just win.

I would love to see someone like him coach the Bills. Would be nice to make the playoffs this century.

It is amusing watching all the folks that thought that the success of Belichick was all about Brady come to their epiphany and start threads etc..

It's been a few years since his staff/front office has been heavily raided by other teams and the continuity in the personnel dept and assistant coaching is yielding better returns in both the draft and execution.........early this season, at least.

We don't know what kind of HC Patricia will make but my impression is that he is not a great in-game adjuster........I've seen his defense get run ragged in the second half of games and that answer-less look on his face to think he is the next Belichick.

Strikes me as book smart but not nearly as sharp in the moment. A guy like that can get overwhelmed making the jump to HC.

But finding someone who is a great, detail oriented game planner and also razor sharp in the moment is a tall order in the NFL.

My guess is McDaniels will be better.......he's also very good at preparing a gameplan and has the HC experience under his belt now.

I'd be very surprised if either came here or anywhere in division.

It might take huge money to make them betray the dark master and too much money can sour the objective.

Like someone else mentioned out of all Belichick's assistants who have left to become NFL head coaches and how many of those men have succeeded? Exactly, forget the Patriots.

The idea would be to find someone who is as smart in all aspects of the game as Belichick and yet is available to hire with no strings and would be loyal to the Buffalo Bills. If I'm Terry Pegula I'd offer Bill Cowher the job as head coach, de facto GM as the man knows NFL football and he knows how to properly evaluate talent.

Make the man the highest paid head coach in the NFL and give him carte blanche to run the football side of operations and then stand back and let him do his job. I suspect he would make changes to the scouting dept, the trainers, the doctors and build a winning coaching staff. I'd say in two years or less the team is in the playoffs and within three is in the hunt for a super bowl championship.

Like someone else mentioned out of all Belichick's assistants who have left to become NFL head coaches and how many of those men have succeeded? Exactly, forget the Patriots.

The idea would be to find someone who is as smart in all aspects of the game as Belichick and yet is available to hire with no strings and would be loyal to the Buffalo Bills. If I'm Terry Pegula I'd offer Bill Cowher the job as head coach, de facto GM as the man knows NFL football and he knows how to properly evaluate talent.

Make the man the highest paid head coach in the NFL and give him carte blanche to run the football side of operations and then stand back and let him do his job. I suspect he would make changes to the scouting dept, the trainers, the doctors and build a winning coaching staff. I'd say in two years or less the team is in the playoffs and within three is in the hunt for a super bowl championship.

Cowher inherited a winning team and that team has experienced no decline in play in his absence. Cowher has also been out of football forever. I do not and will not understand the blind faith in Bill Cowher. Best I can tell its all based on some unfulfilled dream to land Cowher held over from the days before we signed Chan Gailey.

One of the major downsides of hiring someone away from Belichick is that they may wet themselves in fear........like Bill Meathead O'Brien.......when they have to play Belichick.

Fear is one thing you can't have against Belichick.

Teams that have had success against them......Ravens and Broncos, for instance.......don't worry about out-Belichicking the Patriots........they just play aggressive, physical, disciplined football.

Rex was an important part of the process in Baltimore where the Ravens learned how to stand toe-to-toe with Belichick and he took that to the Jets but in recent years he has veered and taken a play-not-to-lose approach.

Which means he is an expert at losing at least one close game to Belichick every year now. :thumbsup:

Cowher inherited a winning team and that team has experienced no decline in play in his absence. Cowher has also been out of football forever. I do not and will not understand the blind faith in Bill Cowher. Best I can tell its all based on some unfulfilled dream to land Cowher held over from the days before we signed Chan Gailey.

First off Cowher inherited a team that was 7-9 the year before he was hired in 1991 and was ranked around 20th in both offense and defense that year. The seven seasons before Knoll retired the Steelers had only made the playoffs once in 1989 and only two of those seven seasons were winning seasons!

The year of his hire the Steelers went to 11-5 and the playoffs. Cowher changed the OC & DC to people he wanted and that defense went from 20th to #2 in points allowed and #13 in yards allowed. He also had four players make the pro bowl on offense when none had made it the year before.

Bill Cowher retired as the Steelers HC with a .633 winning percentage and he accomplished those wins with mostly scrubs at QB the duration of his coaching career in Pitt. His QB's were Neil O'Donnel, Bubby Brister, Mike Tomczak, Jim Miller, Kordell Stewart, Mike Quinn, Kent Graham, Tommy Maddox, Charlie Batch, and he didn't get Ben Rothlisberger until 2004. In his 15 seasons at Pitt, he had only 5 in that they didn't make the playoffs.

When you think of all those scrub QB's that Cowher had to work with over his years in Pitt it amazes me he managed to win so many games. This is a classic example of a head coach building a solid team around the QB which increases his chance to succeed. O'Donnel was 39-22 at Pittsburgh and 16-23 with other teams. Stewart was 46-29 at Pitt and 2-5 with other teams.

Mike Tomlin who replaced Cowher at Pittsburgh has had Big Ben his entire ten years he has been there and he missed the playoffs four years so far. Tomlin has won one SB and lost one SB just like just like Cowher. Nothing like having a pro bowl, franchise QB on the roster his entire career.

While at Pittsburgh Tom Donahue was the GM and lost an internal power struggle with Cowher at the end of 1999. Donahoe was then fired By the Steelers and the next year Ralph Wilson must have thought it was Donahoe that was the brilliant mind in bringing in all that talent to Pitt so he hired him and promoted him to team president...only to find out it was Cowher who was the brilliant mind behind all that talent.

I would like to see Cowher given a chance because I think he is about one of the only men on the planet I can think of that could build a team to compete against the Patriots for the division and actually come out on top. The other is Pete Carroll and I don't see him leaving Seattle or John Elway leaving Denver.

On a side note. If Bills fans are waiting for Bill Belichick, Tom Brady to retire. It's my bet that the Kraft family will find another winning coach and QB before the Buffalo Bills do at this point.

First off Cowher inherited a team that was 7-9 the year before he was hired in 1991 and was ranked around 20th in both offense and defense that year. The seven seasons before Knoll retired the Steelers had only made the playoffs once in 1989 and only two of those seven seasons were winning seasons!

The year of his hire the Steelers went to 11-5 and the playoffs. Cowher changed the OC & DC to people he wanted and that defense went from 20th to #2 in points allowed and #13 in yards allowed. He also had four players make the pro bowl on offense when none had made it the year before.

Bill Cowher retired as the Steelers HC with a .633 winning percentage and he accomplished those wins with mostly scrubs at QB the duration of his coaching career in Pitt. His QB's were Neil O'Donnel, Bubby Brister, Mike Tomczak, Jim Miller, Kordell Stewart, Mike Quinn, Kent Graham, Tommy Maddox, Charlie Batch, and he didn't get Ben Rothlisberger until 2004. In his 15 seasons at Pitt, he had only 5 in that they didn't make the playoffs.

When you think of all those scrub QB's that Cowher had to work with over his years in Pitt it amazes me he managed to win so many games. This is a classic example of a head coach building a solid team around the QB which increases his chance to succeed. O'Donnel was 39-22 at Pittsburgh and 16-23 with other teams. Stewart was 46-29 at Pitt and 2-5 with other teams.

Mike Tomlin who replaced Cowher at Pittsburgh has had Big Ben his entire ten years he has been there and he missed the playoffs four years so far. Tomlin has won one SB and lost one SB just like just like Cowher. Nothing like having a pro bowl, franchise QB on the roster his entire career.

While at Pittsburgh Tom Donahue was the GM and lost an internal power struggle with Cowher at the end of 1999. Donahoe was then fired By the Steelers and the next year Ralph Wilson must have thought it was Donahoe that was the brilliant mind in bringing in all that talent to Pitt so he hired him and promoted him to team president...only to find out it was Cowher who was the brilliant mind behind all that talent.

I would like to see Cowher given a chance because I think he is about one of the only men on the planet I can think of that could build a team to compete against the Patriots for the division and actually come out on top. The other is Pete Carroll and I don't see him leaving Seattle or John Elway leaving Denver.

On a side note. If Bills fans are waiting for Bill Belichick, Tom Brady to retire. It's my bet that the Kraft family will find another winning coach and QB before the Buffalo Bills do at this point.

Right on, Cowher is an organization fixer.

He is a younger Marty Schottenheimer..........both had difficulty winning in the AFC playoffs........Shotty's losses are more remembered......but Cowher lost a bunch of AFC title games AT HOME, no less.

But Cowher got over that hump.

That seals the deal for player buy-in.

Anywhere he goes he would get the full attention/buy-in of that team.

Rex was an important part of the process in Baltimore where the Ravens learned how to stand toe-to-toe with Belichick and he took that to the Jets but in recent years he has veered and taken a play-not-to-lose approach.

This is SO true. What I don't understand is why. Would you please tell us why you think Rex would change from a swaggering tough guy to an oversized Dick Jauron? This is what I just can't figure out.

Has there ever been a highly successful defensive coach who was not aggressive? Also, doesn't the fact that the game is now a passing game increase the need for pass rush? I have seen Von Miller take over games and win them for his team. Our linemen are dancing, jumping and/or in pass coverage.

I don't understand. :(

This is SO true. What I don't understand is why. Would you please tell us why you think Rex would change from a swaggering tough guy to an oversized Dick Jauron? This is what I just can't figure out.

Has there ever been a highly successful defensive coach who was not aggressive? Also, doesn't the fact that the game is now a passing game increase the need for pass rush? I have seen Von Miller take over games and win them for his team. Our linemen are dancing, jumping and/or in pass coverage.

For a number of reasons his system isn't a great fit in the league anymore....it's more susceptible schematically........ and he's afraid of giving up big plays.

I remember seeing a DB blitz off the left slot last year, and knowing we were toast. Rex may think Daryl Lamonica is going to take a 17 step drop, but the ball was gone before the DB could finish his 40 yard dash from a disguised upright position. The dinosaurs do not survive. He has failed to evolve.

Hi, Bill. I know you didn't ask me. If you don't mind I'll throw my 2 cents out there.

First allow me to say that the man Rex Ryan replaced in NY was Eric Mangini who was a Bill Belichick disciple built his defense in the 3-4 mode so when Ryan got there the defense was perfectly set up for him and all he needed were a few players from his old team that knew the play calls and could make those calls on the field. Kinda why Jim Leonhard who wasn't super talented became an important cog in that scheme.

When Rex got to the Jets in 2009 he was able to use his 3-4 like the Steelers DC Dick LeBeau with confusion and lots of blitzing to the tune of around 50% of the dropbacks Ryan blitzed in 2009-2010. Then from 2011 until 2013 the amount of blitzing was reduced to around 35% of the QB dropbacks. When he came to Buffalo last year Ryan almost never called a blitz and I can only suspect to emulate Jim Schwartz with his "wide nine" scheme that almost never ran a called blitz.

The funny thing is when Ryan did call a blitz in 2015 for the Bills that play was generally defeated by an opposing offensive big play and so I tend to think that over the years offenses have learned to defeat the blitz and Lebeau's zone blitz scheme. So, if teams have learned how to defeat the blitz and the result is a big play for the offense. Then I can see why Ryan has stopped blitzing so often.

The other thing I find interesting is that Ryan didn't have last season, and still doesn't have the horses on the roster to even pull off a variation of the zone blitz and yet he ran that far too often last year with Mario, Kyle and Dareus dropping back into pass coverage. Now, he could kinda get away with it by having Jerry Hughes drop back as the man is a very speedy linebacker type DE and while the other three could do it and get away with it to a degree. However, Ryan called it far, far too often with the bigger men and as a result, it wasn't nearly as effective. Against the Chiefs QB Alex Smith threw two TD's when Marcell Dareus was dropped back into pass coverage.

Asking a 300+lb D-linemen who's elite ability is to rush the passer in a six-yard area to drop into pass coverage over a 20+ yard area is blatantly absurd especially when you consider the linebackers you are then asking to rush the passer in his place are below average pass rushers at best.

We all saw a lot of one-gap rushing successfully utilized against the Patriots and Jets last season in the second games against both those two teams and I can only suspect that the reason Ryan didn't run that scheme more often is because he didn't care to repeat the mistakes that Mike Pettine made with his #2 overall pass rush while being 25th against the run.

It looks to me like Ryan is currently caught between a rock and a hard place because he doesn't have the super talented linebackers to run a 3-4 zone blitz scheme line he wants nor the big, powerful uglies on the D-line that is needed to make the 3-4 two gap work. While the Bills have really good CB's and some stars on the D-line it's more of a cluster of talent Ryan doesn't quite know how to get the best out of so far.

As for the current defense, it just doesn't have a HoF MLB like Ray Lewis or CB like Rod Woodson, a Darrelle Revis in his prime or FS like Ed Reed. Ryan's defensive scheme even with all the Bills players 100% healthy might give the Patriots with Brady at QB a run for their money in the first meeting. Belichick would then have a plan to defeat it the second time around. JMHO.

Kinda sad really, an old toothless, clawless lion. Still gotta big roar, though...

Edited by Nihilarian

BB's secret is simple. They put in 25 to 30 plays weekly catered to attacking the team in front of them. That's it folks that's all he does. Granted that requires his team to be more smart than athletic which is the opposite of the mental midgets that inhabit the Bills roster.

Kinda sad really, an old toothless, clawless lion. Still gotta big roar, though...

Great closing to a great post!

It's easy for most to see just how bad Rex is. My question is: When does Whaley also get held responsible for this sad circus?

BB's secret is simple. They put in 25 to 30 plays weekly catered to attacking the team in front of them. That's it folks that's all he does. Granted that requires his team to be more smart than athletic which is the opposite of the mental midgets that inhabit the Bills roster.

Are you sure?

Saban, a Belichick disciple, claims to prepare his team more to do their individual jobs and less for the particular team they are facing.

I heard him say this but then again, it might not be the truth.

While the other team is watching films and planning for how you attacked a different team. Come game day this is not what other teams are seeing. Genius actually but smart players are needed.