Kaepernick and the National Anthem

Please do. What he says doesn't matter. Don't listen. You're getting all upset about something players said off the field when you say they are there to entertain you. It's your fault you're listening and participating in discussions about their opinions that has zero to do with their "entertainment" you are seeking.

If the people who you value their intelligence and get your news and information and read their learned books from played pickup football games would you care what the stats and scores were, and complain their job is to think and write not play sports?

I am not upset. Just frustrated that these mindless dolts continue to get attention for something they are ill informed of and evidence speaks against it with empirical data.

Your argument is against me is one that needs to be made against those you are defending. The only difference is I am white. Trump is orange.

Edited by Boyst62

I don't generally give a damn about player's politics. I always assume are uninformed statists who swallowed the PC identity politics narrative that's been fed to them since they learned to talk, but I don't really care. I don't think about it.

But if every time I tune in I have to be reminded that I'm cheering for morons while constantly being berated with whiney political retardation and false narratives it stops being fun. It's not about outrage so much as it is no longer enjoying the product.

But you yourself are putting the weight on what Shady and other knuckleheads are saying. By participating and by getting emotional over it you're as bad as they are. Watch the games and talk about the games.

Do you ever watch movies and TV shows at all? Do you ever listen to music? I live and work in the entertainment music. I am a liberal and I absolutely hate when actors and directors and others talk about politics at award shows and other public events. Even if I agree with what they are saying I don't care. I hate it. It's not the place. And a huge portion of these people are arrogant azzzholes. But if I put their personalities and politics into their professional work I would never enjoy their movies or tv shows or music. And you guys are seemingly not letting yourself enjoy what these people do just for their extracurricular activities, which is stupid. Don't listen.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

But you yourself are putting the weight on what Shady and other knuckleheads are saying. By participating and by getting emotional over it you're as bad as they are. Watch the games and talk about the games.

Do you ever watch movies and TV shows at all? Do you ever listen to music? I live and work in the entertainment music. I am a liberal and I absolutely hate when actors and directors and others talk about politics at award shows and other public events. Even if I agree with what they are saying I don't care. I hate it. It's not the place. And a huge portion of these people are arrogant azzzholes. But if I put their personalities and politics into their professional work I would never enjoy their movies or tv shows or music. And you guys are seemingly not letting yourself enjoy what these people do just for their extracurricular activities, which is stupid. Don't listen.

That's kind of my point. When I'm watching Glen Gary Glen Ross or Outside Providence I can enjoy Alec Baldwin for a phenomenal peformance without being beaten over the head with his politics.

It's getting to the point where you can't watch or follow the NFL without being bombarded with it. It's not just the anthem, it's any issue they can work in, and it's everywhere.

Plus, a big part of being a fan is cheering for your favorite players. It's hard to cheer for someone who keeps going out of his way to remind me that I don't like him. I can cheer for a player with different politics, but this is getting ridiculous.

@JeffDarlington

Sources: Bills locker room has been so emotional about Trump comments that team made plans to address topic during a team meeting tonight.

Do they just think that the President should go along with their drivel and kiss their a$$? I swear if these guys do something at the game tomorrow I am done with these losers.

do you not seriously just want 3-4 hours of your day where all you have e to worry about is a mediocre quality man can throw the ball 20 yards?

Yes! Somehow that though has taken on a feng shui like quality for me now. Never thought that would happen.

That's kind of my point. When I'm watching Glen Gary Glen Ross or Outside Providence I can enjoy Alec Baldwin for a phenomenal peformance without being beaten over the head with his politics.

It's getting to the point where you can't watch or follow the NFL without being bombarded with it. It's not just the anthem, it's any issue they can work in, and it's everywhere.

Plus, a big part of being a fan is cheering for your favorite players. It's hard to cheer for someone who keeps going out of his way to remind me that I don't like him. I can cheer for a player with different politics, but this is getting ridiculous.

But I have been coming to this site a dozen times a day for 20 years. Every time I come, thousands of them, I do the same thing. I skim the thread titles and click on ones that interest me. Most don't and I may participate in one out of ten. And I have 38,000 posts. When you saw the thread title "Tell us what you really think, Shady..." anyone could have predicted it was something outrageous. I personally find him funny so I clicked on it. But if you don't want to talk about it don't click on it. I'm sure you avoid as many or more of the threads than I do.

But I have been coming to this site a dozen times a day for 20 years. Every time I come, thousands of them, I do the same thing. I skim the thread titles and click on ones that interest me. Most don't and I may participate in one out of ten. And I have 38,000 posts. When you saw the thread title "Tell us what you really think, Shady..." anyone could have predicted it was something outrageous. I personally find him funny so I clicked on it. But if you don't want to talk about it don't click on it. I'm sure you avoid as many or more of the threads than I do.

And folks wonder why ESPN and NFL viewership is down...

Do they just think that the President should go along with their drivel and kiss their a$$? I swear if these guys do something at the game tomorrow I am done with these losers.

Yes! Somehow that though has taken on a feng shui like quality for me now. Never thought that would happen.

Nope. He should keep on saying that some of the tiki torch carriers in Charlotte are fine people.

Another element of it is social media. People don't seem to want to take the bad with the good. They only want the stuff they like. But overall social media is awesome, regardless of all the bullschitt and crap we have to wade through. Every person who talks about the good ol' days I'd like to punch in the neck and I have been in one fight my entire life. This is the best time in the history of the world, people just are whiny bitches about it.

And folks wonder why ESPN and NFL viewership is down...

Not people that know anything about it.

Another element of it is social media. People don't seem to want to take the bad with the good. They only want the stuff they like. But overall social media is awesome, regardless of all the bullschitt and crap we have to wade through. Every person who talks about the good ol' days I'd like to punch in the neck and I have been in one fight my entire life. This is the best time in the history of the world, people just are whiny bitches about it.

Not people that know anything about it.

Explain.

I'm with you on principle, but as you're aware, there are a hell of a lot of self-iimportant entertainers that like to use their celebrity as a platform from which to spout opinion. I can let most of it slide, but after a while it just gets annoying to the point where you just can't stand the sight of the person. Jane Fonda is a good example - she's managed to alienate quite a lot of people over the years, and many of them have chosen to not support her by making their feelings known at the box office. Celebrities are well within their rights to express their views as they see fit, but they need to be aware that those that are listening are well within their rights to react as they see fit.

Personally, I've never understood why anybody in the entertainment industry would risk alienating such a potentially large portion of their fan base. They come off as putting greater emphasis on their feelings than they do on their career.

I didn't even see that, which just goes to show how pervasive it is. It's in the pre-game show, play by play, player intervies, all over every type of sports news. On week 1 before the game they spent more time talking about Kaepernick than the games. If I turned off all of it there wouldn't be much left.

@JeffDarlington

Sources tell me Bills locker room, for instance, has been very emotional today as some players consider several possibilities for protest.

@TomPelissero

#Bills veteran Lorenzo Alexander tells me it was his idea to discuss Donald Trump's remarks as a team tonight (as @JeffDarlington noted).

I didn't even see that, which just goes to show how pervasive it is. It's in the pre-game show, play by play, player intervies, all over every type of sports news. On week 1 before the game they spent more time talking about Kaepernick than the games. If I turned off all of it there wouldn't be much left.

That's just not true. It's way more pervasive, that's true. But it's still less than 10% of any discussion. You're deep into The Kaepernick and the national anthem thread. That's your choice.

And again. I agree with most everything Kaepernick is saying and stands for (well, kneels for) and yet I strongly don't think he should have ever done it. It's not the right place. I don't need to see it either. I don't want the part of the game to become political either. I totally understand why owners don't want him on their team. And I agree with him.